TIP: Clean Your Silver, Gold, Copper, and Brass

+16
I sell a lot of silver, gold, copper, and brass items on Ebay. I was looking for a way to clean all types of metals with ONE product. Tried the aluminum foil and baking soda method for silver flatware. Didn't work that good. Still left a grey film that needed to be washed off. Found out silver jewelry dips tend to remove some of the metal. NOT GOOD. Tried the ammonia method for gold jewelry. Ammonia can be caustic and damage or pit the gold. NOT GOOD ALSO. Tried different paste cleaners for copper and brass, but they also remove some of the metal over time. None of these methods really worked and couldn't be use on all metals. I found that white toothpaste, not the gel, and an old damp tooth brush worked the best. A dab of toothpaste on a damp tooth brush, brush the item, rinse, the tarnish comes off. No damage to the metal, gets into all cracks and crevices. Even polishes gem stones and makes them shine. White toothpaste has fine powdered marble in it as an abrasive. One product for all metals.

(re: Cleaning tips challenge-http://www.hometalk.com/26729461/e-cleaning-tips-challenge)
t tip clean your silver gold copper and brass, cleaning tips
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 15, 2017
    Wow! I never would have thought of that, thank you!! Why do you think t works?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 15, 2017
    Great post...William...So many do not know that trick. I use the toothpaste trick myself and it is the cheapest and most effective.
  • Rungnapha Ph. St Rungnapha Ph. St on Jan 15, 2017
    I bought the fine ring at the fair she told me to use tooth brush and soft brush to clean them too. Now I do on my every rings because I don't bring them at the store all the time.
  • Tommi L. Perkins Tommi L. Perkins on Jan 18, 2017
    Use that as a quickie shine up on my wedding and engagement ring. Works great without even having to take them off! I use an electric tooth brush (use an old head as they are softer). Pop on the head, wet it, put on a little white toothpaste and take about 20 seconds to get that baby looking like new!
  • Ginny Ginny on Jan 18, 2017
    Have heard of this method and been told it works. Back in the 50's my mother used to fill a (10 x 15"; 3-5" deep) with Ivory soap and let the water come to a gentle boil. Then she added her silverware (we ate with silverplated flatware) and off came the tarnish after the silver was in the water about 5 minutes. My grandfather was a silversmith for Stieff and Co. in Baltimore so I never ate with metal utensils until I was married in 1964. This method didn't seem to hurt the silver as I still have the place settings.
  • Jane Jameson Jane Jameson on Jan 19, 2017
    Crest also works on fire damaged items as long as they are not charred. A fireman shared this with us after a house fire years ago.
  • Joanie Joanie on Jan 19, 2017
    I have used toothpaste for years........brush my teeth, add a little paste and clean up my rings......works like a charm!!!
  • Linda Linda on Jan 19, 2017
    So going to do this. Thanks.
  • Reggie Strong Reggie Strong on Jan 21, 2017
    During basic training in the Air Force we used toothpaste to clean and polish the faucets.
  • Debby Fields Rosser Debby Fields Rosser on Jan 24, 2017
    I have used it to clean white tennis shoes before.