Hammered Metal Drawer Fronts!

Giving new life to an old hutch and starting with the drawers! Creating a unique look with a Hammered Metal Finish on the fronts of the drawers.
Drawers all sanded and ready for new life!
This was one of those finds that you just couldn't say "no" - a great hutch to use in my office as a bookshelf (and I really need the storage)! My only issue is finding time to paint anything for myself - there just never seems to be the extra time!!!
But somehow I did find the time to drag it out the back of my studio and get the sanding down. I decided to sand it back to the bare wood because the current finish was just scratching off - didn't want any failures with all the work I was going to put into this masterpiece! I would rather work a little harder and have no worries that something was going to fail!!!
Base section of hutch.
All sanded and ready for some paint!!!
Top section of hutch.
So this project was sanded months ago and then found a home in the studio all tucked away - just waiting for me to find time to get creative! Now I can't say that I will finish this entire project in the next month with my schedule - but I'm going to at least get started and transform the drawers so that I can share a fabulous technique.
Primed and ready for texture!
I always start with a coat of primer and used my favorite XIM Bonding Primer - one layer and allowed to dry.
Next step is to trowel on a layer of Texture Medium (I used my Brand ArtsSyVille Embellishments) - this layer only needs to be about 1/16" to 1/8" thick - just thick enough to get the imprint of the roller pattern.
I first taped off the raised center panel and then troweled on a thin layer of AE Texture Medium with my favorite Japanese trowel. While the Texture Medium is wet, you want to roll the Ostrich Pattern Roller through the material - I rolled through twice to achieve a more pitted hammered look.
Allow the AE Texture Medium to dry (at least a couple of hours) and then sand down the high peaks - this will resemble Hammered Metal. After sanding is complete - wipe down with a damp rag to make sure it's dust free.
Now it's time for some Metallic paint and a layer of glaze to make this finish incredible.
Also please make sure to check out my YouTube Channel for many more videos using my Fauxy Rollers and Foils for fabulous finishes.
More techniques and finishes using the Fauxy Rollers!!!
Another finish using the Ostrich Patterned Fauxy Roller!
Modern Masters Antique Copper Metallic paint
Next you want to apply two coats of the Antique Copper Metallic Paint by Modern Masters - allow drying time in between coats. I like to allow the metallic paint dry overnight before applying a glaze.
Close up after painted with Antique Copper
The next thing you will do is create a glaze using the Modern Masters Wall Glaze and Glazing Colors Van Dyke Brown - 1 cup of glaze to 3 tbls of Van Dyke Brown color.
This will be brushed onto the surface with a Chip Brush and wiped back off with Cheesecloth to soften the finish - you will create depth and dimension with glaze layer.
Glazed Finish
Next - allow the glaze to dry at least 24 hours and apply a top coat to protect everything!
Complete Drawers - now for the hutch!!!
Love this look of Hammered Metal!!!

• AE Texture Medium  (http://www.artisticpaintingstudio.com/shop/artssyville/mediums-textures/)
  • Ostrich Patterned Fauxy Roller  (http://www.artisticpaintingstudio.com/shop/rollers/rollers2/)
  • Modern Masters Metallic Paint  (Call Studio)

Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Jennifer Weber Ferguson

• CG Davenport

Wonderful project, Jennifer! It really does look like hammered metal! Can't wait to see the finished product! Thanks for the tutorial!

• Jennifer Weber Ferguson

Thank you!!! I sure hoping to finish this project soon.....but there is always something else that needs to be done! LOL