Redoux Interiors
Redoux Interiors
  • Brentwood, CA

Layering Paints on Furniture

Love the Layered Look? It is easy to layer with CeCe Caldwell's Chalk and Clay based paints. Finish that off with a layer of glaze, and you have yourself a very expensive finish with very little effort. http://www.redouxinteriors.com/2013/12/dresser-dressed-in-layers-and-glaze/
I started with a thin layer of Cece Caldwell's Virginia Chestnut to give the illusion of a dark stained piece of furniture.
Next I did one layer of Cece's Young Kansas Wheat
I sanded the entire piece with a 320 grit sandpaper to show some of the brown and burnish the piece for a soft finish.
Put one clear coat of glaze on before you use tinted glaze. This provides a barrier between the highly absorbent chalk and clay based paints and the glaze. You will have more movement when you apply tinted glaze.
I used about 1/ 2 cup of CeCe Caldwell's all natural glaze tinted with about 1/2 tsp on Modern Masters Coffee Bean Colorant.
I sealed the entire piece with CeCe's Endurance, which is a very easy to apply clear coat. I used a rag to apply it!
Layer CeCe Caldwell's Virginia Chestnut, Young Kansas Wheat and tinted glaze and you can get this look in a very short time.
After I painted the layers of Virginia Chestnut and Young Kansas Wheat, I sanded the entire piece with a 320 grit sand paper. This softens the finish, and allows just a "hint" of dark brown to show through.
Put a layer of clear glaze down before your tinted glaze. This will allow the glaze some movement and won't be absorbed by the paint.
This Dresser was White Laminate, but by following these steps in layering, you can give the illusion you have a very expensive piece! Seal with wax or CeCe Caldwell's Endurance like I did!

Redoux Interiors

• Shelli Barnes

Thanks so much for your helpful response @Redoux Interiors! I just love how this turned out :) I have a bunch of old pieces similar to this style, you've given me the courage to try it someday soon.

• Lisa House

Absolutely Amazing!