Sew a DIY Roman Shade

Learn to make yourself some personal DIY window covering to add some pizzazz to your decor.
Turn a a piece of fabric into a roman shade the easy way!!
First, you will want to cut your fabric 2" wider than you want your shade to be, and 7" longer.
Now, press the sides and bottom of the fabric over 1/2" to the wrong side. Fold another 1/2" and press again. Sew these hems down. Remember to leave the two ends of the bottom hem open so you can slide a dowel through it later.
Next, we will make the rest of the dowel canings. Subtract 3' off of the remaining height of your fabric (this is for stapling your blind to your wood later on) and divide that by 4. The resulting number will be how far apart you will make each dowel casing. Start measuring from the bottom, and mark where your dowel will be with a pin,
Fold your blind right sides together at each mark and pin. Sew a 1/2″ seam at each mark and then insert a dowel into each casing you’ve created.
Next, hand sew the small blind rings onto the blind. Sew one on each side of the dowel casing, about 3″ from each end.
Prep the wooden hanger by screwing on the brackets about 1″ from each end, and screwing in the eye screws about 3″ from each.
Staple the fabric blind to the piece of wood.
Finally, it’s time to tie on the nylon string that will pull the drape up and down. Use the photo above as a guide, and tie one end of the string onto the bottom right ring. Thread it upwards and through each ring above, through the right eye screw, through the left eye screw, and down through all of the remaining rings on the left. Leave at least 6″ of extra string and cut off the rest.
For the left side, tie one end of the string to the bottom left ring, thread it up and through each ring above, through and over the top left eye screw, and then back down through all of the rings on the left again. Leave extra string and cut off the rest.
Mount your roman shade above your window using the brackets.
And now you're done!

• 2 yards decor fabric
  • 4 wooden dowels that are 1/4' in diameter and are as wide as you want your shade
  • A 1 x 2 piece of wood that’s as wide as you want your shade

How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Christina Dennis

• Wis20742664

Do you finish the end of the pull cord, and does gravity keep it laced through the rings?
  • Denise

What if I want to make a curtain only I’m not a seamstress I can sew on buttons cross stitch that’s it! Easiest way to do with minimum sewing

• Debi

How about some fabric glue. And sewing on the rings, is like sewing on a button. It seems like this might work. I don't have a sewing machine so, that's probably what I would do.

• Lisa

Do you have a picture of the completed project?

• Maryann Ruta

I did this to my shades probably 20 years ago , and it is easy as pie to do

• Connie Siebert

I love your instructions and clear pictures. I have my supplies written down. Some supplies I have. I've been wanting to make one of these. All other instructions made it look hard. I'm off to look for fabric. Thanks so much. 💓