Modern Planter

86K Views
For this project, I'm going to make a modern planter. Feel free to make this box as big or small as you like. The dimension is listed below for this box.
Check out the video
  • modern planter box, gardening
After all cutting, you should end with 9 pieces. See below
The type of wood used for the project is Cedar
Wood Dimension
(3) 7 inches x 30 inches = 2 long sides and bottoms
(2) 6 1/2 inches X 7 1/8 inches = 2 Short side
(4) 2 x 3 = Feet
Plants : White African iris
  • modern planter box, gardening
While wood searching, I tried finding a good and flat lumber. I grabbed one that was a bit warped and it created some challenges trying to assemble. So this required a good amount of clamps to help hold the box together while I added screws. Use wood glue to at each joints.
  • modern planter box, gardening
After putting the box together. I used wood filler to cover the joints and screw heads. After enough time went by its was time to sand. I used 220 grit sandpaper to smooth the wood as best as I could.
  • modern planter box, gardening
I used interior / exterior white latex gloss paint. I applied two coats. I was pretty happy with the exposed grains. That gave the box som real nice texture.
  • modern planter box, gardening
I used a few small piece of the same cedar wood as feet. I used exterior wood glue then taped it in place to prevent movement. Next, I applied weight to press the feet don till the glue dries. This will give the box an elevated look from a distance. As if the planter box is floating.
  • modern planter box, gardening
Drill 2 drain holes one on each side.
  • modern planter box, gardening
Install weed barrier, this also prevent the soil from falling through the drain holes.
  • modern planter box, gardening
Now add garden soil or pot soil. Place enough soil to cover the entire bottom.
  • modern planter box, gardening
Remove the plants from the pot and place in the box. Lightly loosen up the roots not too much. Add soil so you have enough to reach the base of the plant.
  • modern planter box, gardening
Fold the weed barrier over as shown in the last picture.
  • modern planter box, gardening
Place the river rocks on the of the weed barrier. Then do this all the way around, use the rocks to hide the soil and the weed barrier. Now add water and we are done!
  • modern planter box, gardening
Here is the finished result. Be sure to watch the video to get a more in-depth take on this build.
To find more project made by me be sure to look up "Diy Creators" on youtube

Suggested materials for this project:

Glen

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!