Modern Planter

For this project, I'm going to make a modern planter. Feel free to make this box as big or small as you like. The dimension is listed below for this box.
Check out the video
After all cutting, you should end with 9 pieces. See below
The type of wood used for the project is Cedar
Wood Dimension
(3) 7 inches x 30 inches = 2 long sides and bottoms
(2) 6 1/2 inches X 7 1/8 inches = 2 Short side
(4) 2 x 3 = Feet
Plants : White African iris
While wood searching, I tried finding a good and flat lumber. I grabbed one that was a bit warped and it created some challenges trying to assemble. So this required a good amount of clamps to help hold the box together while I added screws. Use wood glue to at each joints.
After putting the box together. I used wood filler to cover the joints and screw heads. After enough time went by its was time to sand. I used 220 grit sandpaper to smooth the wood as best as I could.
I used interior / exterior white latex gloss paint. I applied two coats. I was pretty happy with the exposed grains. That gave the box som real nice texture.
I used a few small piece of the same cedar wood as feet. I used exterior wood glue then taped it in place to prevent movement. Next, I applied weight to press the feet don till the glue dries. This will give the box an elevated look from a distance. As if the planter box is floating.
Drill 2 drain holes one on each side.
Install weed barrier, this also prevent the soil from falling through the drain holes.
Now add garden soil or pot soil. Place enough soil to cover the entire bottom.
Remove the plants from the pot and place in the box. Lightly loosen up the roots not too much. Add soil so you have enough to reach the base of the plant.
Fold the weed barrier over as shown in the last picture.
Place the river rocks on the of the weed barrier. Then do this all the way around, use the rocks to hide the soil and the weed barrier. Now add water and we are done!
Here is the finished result. Be sure to watch the video to get a more in-depth take on this build.
To find more project made by me be sure to look up "Diy Creators" on youtube

• Karen Merritt3

How much did one this size cost to make?

• Glen

Around $45.00 for the wood, plants, rocks and soil.

• Ani6983227

What is the size of the sides? You have 6 1/1 inches. Do you mean 6 1/2 inches?

• Gsn17919693

Hi dear please help me to provide me with all size and what type of material did you use in side of the box before you seal and put the pot plant in side

• Lindy

Very clean looking . The plants are just right for this project. I truly enjoy the many projects I see on this site
  • Elizabeth

Great video thanks