DIY Fireplace Mantel: Creating Usable Corner Space

$175
1 Day

Our master bedroom has always been a bit of a challenge to decorate. It’s a 20′ x 20′ square space with two windows on one side of the room. After our not-so-square furniture was placed in the room, we had some fairly awkward corners to deal with. There is one corner in particular that I considered dead space; one where none of our existing furniture would fit — so we installed a DIY corner fireplace mantel.
It started with a $100 corner mantel "kit" from our local ReStore. I would check there or a surplus building supply. It can be done in a single day, and we built this for just under $200.
BEFORE: We wanted something more visually interesting in this corner. None of our existing furniture fit here...and I didn't want to place another standalone piece here -- I think it would have felt awkward and bulky. After living here awhile, we knew it was just a "TV corner" -- so we worked from there.
STEP 1: We found a $100 corner fireplace mantel "kit" from the surplus building supply area of our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. So this is how it stayed for quite some time, until inspiration struck.
Step 2: After awhile, we convinced ourselves it would look nice if we made shelves to look as though it were a built-in. The shelf sits directly on top of the mantel. We made holes in the back to run wires behind the structure.
Step 3: My husband made this frame which covered all the unfinished portions of the shelving entirely. And he did this without moving the TV -- he's so smart!
AFTER: I'm glad he recessed the shelving unit, because it allowed us to use the mantel more efficiently. The tall buffet lamps fit perfectly.
We may paint the wall behind the T.V., but we just haven't gotten around to it yet!
...and then, Buddy adopted this as his doghouse! We really don’t need an additional heat source in this room. This project was all about adding ambiance in the master suite. Someday we may convert it into a real working fireplace, but it serves its ultimate purpose for now!
Take a tour of the rest of our master suite by visiting the link below! Thanks for stopping by!

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Jeanette @SnazzyLittleThings.com

• Zoeysmom

Did you cover those electrical cords? That is a pet peeve of mine....my son says I am OCD about a house but i have to be when in the last stages of CML (Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia)...what you did is absolutely beautiful!!

• Charise.

That'd be the last thing I'd concern myself with, if I had such an illness.

• Dee Yaklich

You lucked out when you found the fireplace at the Restore. Found some best buys there. can I borrow your husband to do some projects?? Love your dog and his personal spot. It looks great. Good job.

• G.L. Gordon

Thats awesome...just one tiny bity to add, maybe? Paint the cords on the lamps white or place them behind the upper part of the fireplace mantel?

• Maureen

Absolutely beautiful!! What a great idea!!

I know the new owners of your house are enjoying this now!!

• Barbara

Great job, love the whole corner idea .i do have one suggestion and that is to paint the area behind T.V and dogs spot white and then it would look like a one piece corner unit.