DIY Fireplace Mantel: Creating Usable Corner Space

$175
1 Day

Our master bedroom has always been a bit of a challenge to decorate. It’s a 20′ x 20′ square space with two windows on one side of the room. After our not-so-square furniture was placed in the room, we had some fairly awkward corners to deal with. There is one corner in particular that I considered dead space; one where none of our existing furniture would fit — so we installed a DIY corner fireplace mantel.
It started with a $100 corner mantel "kit" from our local ReStore. I would check there or a surplus building supply. It can be done in a single day, and we built this for just under $200.
BEFORE: We wanted something more visually interesting in this corner. None of our existing furniture fit here...and I didn't want to place another standalone piece here -- I think it would have felt awkward and bulky. After living here awhile, we knew it was just a "TV corner" -- so we worked from there.
STEP 1: We found a $100 corner fireplace mantel "kit" from the surplus building supply area of our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. So this is how it stayed for quite some time, until inspiration struck.
Step 2: After awhile, we convinced ourselves it would look nice if we made shelves to look as though it were a built-in. The shelf sits directly on top of the mantel. We made holes in the back to run wires behind the structure.
Step 3: My husband made this frame which covered all the unfinished portions of the shelving entirely. And he did this without moving the TV -- he's so smart!
AFTER: I'm glad he recessed the shelving unit, because it allowed us to use the mantel more efficiently. The tall buffet lamps fit perfectly.
We may paint the wall behind the T.V., but we just haven't gotten around to it yet!
...and then, Buddy adopted this as his doghouse! We really don’t need an additional heat source in this room. This project was all about adding ambiance in the master suite. Someday we may convert it into a real working fireplace, but it serves its ultimate purpose for now!
Take a tour of the rest of our master suite by visiting the link below! Thanks for stopping by!

Jeanette @SnazzyLittleThings.com

• Fay34273850

It is great, what a wonderful idea. Couldn't help noticing your ceiling, did you do that also? Even without the tv it is a great idea for adding ambiance to a room and a good dog bed enclosure.

• Agape

Lol. I also noticed the ceiling right away, in my head I am like "show me how to do that!" You did a great job by the way the project looks amazing!

• Zoeysmom

Did you cover those electrical cords? That is a pet peeve of mine....my son says I am OCD about a house but i have to be when in the last stages of CML (Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia)...what you did is absolutely beautiful!!

• Willette Buckelew Bagwell

The curtains are beautiful. Great job!

Zoesmom... I'm sorry you are ill. The nurse in me comes out in me sometimes. I don't know if you will get to read this but know your family is in my prayers.🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Dee Yaklich

You lucked out when you found the fireplace at the Restore. Found some best buys there. can I borrow your husband to do some projects?? Love your dog and his personal spot. It looks great. Good job.

• Lisa West

I think it's gorgeous. I also how you furbaby tool over the bottom of the fireplace unit. That is so funny. My cats would have done the same thing lol. Enjoy your heavenly bedroom. Thank you for sharing.

• Maureen

Absolutely beautiful!! What a great idea!!

I know the new owners of your house are enjoying this now!!