DIY Fireplace Mantel: Creating Usable Corner Space

$175
1 Day

Our master bedroom has always been a bit of a challenge to decorate. It’s a 20′ x 20′ square space with two windows on one side of the room. After our not-so-square furniture was placed in the room, we had some fairly awkward corners to deal with. There is one corner in particular that I considered dead space; one where none of our existing furniture would fit — so we installed a DIY corner fireplace mantel.
diy fireplace mantel creating usable corner space, fireplaces mantels
It started with a $100 corner mantel "kit" from our local ReStore. I would check there or a surplus building supply. It can be done in a single day, and we built this for just under $200.
BEFORE: We wanted something more visually interesting in this corner. None of our existing furniture fit here...and I didn't want to place another standalone piece here -- I think it would have felt awkward and bulky. After living here awhile, we knew it was just a "TV corner" -- so we worked from there.
STEP 1: We found a $100 corner fireplace mantel "kit" from the surplus building supply area of our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. So this is how it stayed for quite some time, until inspiration struck.
Step 2: After awhile, we convinced ourselves it would look nice if we made shelves to look as though it were a built-in. The shelf sits directly on top of the mantel. We made holes in the back to run wires behind the structure.
Step 3: My husband made this frame which covered all the unfinished portions of the shelving entirely. And he did this without moving the TV -- he's so smart!
AFTER: I'm glad he recessed the shelving unit, because it allowed us to use the mantel more efficiently. The tall buffet lamps fit perfectly.
We may paint the wall behind the T.V., but we just haven't gotten around to it yet!
...and then, Buddy adopted this as his doghouse! We really don’t need an additional heat source in this room. This project was all about adding ambiance in the master suite. Someday we may convert it into a real working fireplace, but it serves its ultimate purpose for now!
Take a tour of the rest of our master suite by visiting the link below! Thanks for stopping by!

Jeanette @SnazzyLittleThings.com

• Mary

The kit shows a piece across the bottom of the fireplace that is not attached in yours, also the walls, baseboard and carpet are clearly visible even through the “screen”. Do you think maybe a simple coat of flat black paint on the walls behind it (top to bottom) and a couple flagstone or pavers for the floor might add reality and take away any improvised look. It’s a great idea, just needs a little bit of polish to it. 😊

• The new owners of the house loved this set up and had a larger TV for the opening. That's exactly what we thought when we built it so we left it open for them to continue editing it for their purposes.

• Fay34273850

It is great, what a wonderful idea. Couldn't help noticing your ceiling, did you do that also? Even without the tv it is a great idea for adding ambiance to a room and a good dog bed enclosure.

• Zoeysmom

Did you cover those electrical cords? That is a pet peeve of mine....my son says I am OCD about a house but i have to be when in the last stages of CML (Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia)...what you did is absolutely beautiful!!

• Myra Wray Miller

As a fellow dog lover, you're right! It's serving the BEST purpose! I'm sure y'all enjoy seeing a happy pup even more than a fire. Great solution and the frame your hubby created really makes the difference. (I have an 8 year old Basset hound that loves cozy corners, if I leave a cabinet open she tries to squeeze her 65lbs in it lol)

Thanks for sharing!

• Carol de la Fuente

I just love this!!! So very beautiful!!! Excellent workmanship!!!