Chas
Chas
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Fort Collins, CO

Simmer Pot to Make Your House Smell Wonderful

$5

Make your home smell wonderful with a simmering pot - it's inexpensive, it's natural (no chemicals), and it can be a gift idea!

I would love to have you subscribe to my blog to see my latest posts, projects, recipes, exclusives, and more - Chas' Crazy Creations
simmer pot to make your house smell wonderful
You'll need: A pot or crock-pot Cinnamon sticks Oranges Apples Water An empty mason or recycled jar (optional for preserving or gift)
First slice up your oranges.
Next slice up your apples.
Put all the fruit slices in your pot with some cinnamon sticks.
Fill the pot up with water.
Put it on your stove.
Turn your stove on to simmer. Once the water warms up, it will start emitting the wonderful smell. ***A word of caution - keep an eye on it, you need to keep adding water through out the day to it as it evaporates out.
Or I like to use a crock-pot instead. Turn it on warm or low and keep the lid off so the smell fills your home. You still will need to keep an eye on it and add water as it evaporates.
If you want to store it or give it as a gift. Put the fruit and cinnamon sticks in a jar.
Fill the jar with water and put the lid on.
You can keep it in your refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Please join me Tuesday, January 24th at 7pm EST on Hometalk Facebook Live! You'll see this and more tips on "warming" your home.
I would love to have you subscribe to my blog to see my latest posts, projects, recipes, exclusives, and more -  Chas' Crazy Creations

• Jar
  • Fruit & cinnamon sticks
Chas

• Janet Chadwick

Could you freeze it?

• Robert Rusk

Evelyn Kitsch Hall, it will be OK to put a lid on the jars as long as they are sitting upright and you don't fill to the top. If you feel uncomfortable then just don't fill the jars so full. I have already tried it since my last posting and there are no problems. By the way I gave one as a hostess gift with the instructions on how to make her next it was a hit. Enjoy Again this is Gigi

• Rkm

What instructions do you need to include with the gift, for people to use it? And do you put the raw ingredients in the mason jar, or after you've simmered them?

• Evelyn Kitsch Hall

I don't think that's what she was asking...Can you just put everything in there before simmering it?

• Roe Mel

What would you do with it when you jar it up?

• Chas

Once it's jarred you can give it away as a gift or you can store it in your fridge for up to 3 weeks until you are ready to use it.

• Penny Lee

I'm using my little dipper size crock pot. With the end pieces from oranges I cut to freeze the slices. I had frozen them to use someway later. Here's a good way! :-) Apples I had frozen in chunks. Cinnamon and cloves. I already ate the apples once they cooked down a bit. You could also save the apples and make a crisp or something using apples. I plan to freeze the liquid and use again or in some other recipe that I want that flavor added to. No need to throw it all way as it's edible.

• Treasuredchaos.com

This is perfect for those of us with wood stoves...I keep a water kettle on, anyway to moisten the air

• Chas

I grew up with a wood stove and I totally know what you are saying. Brilliant to add the fragrance :)