Old Lace Turned Privacy Screening

I used some laundry starch to transform a garbage-ready knit curtain into the perfect privacy solution! Lace would be even beautiful!
I used some powdered starch I happened to have, but you can use any liquid starch. I think even spray starch would work, but you would need at least a couple cans! (It was curtain washing day, so never mind the filthy one in the pic...please.)
Here's the window we're covering. It's in my laundry room and I usually keep that door closed so this is an experiment that no one will ever see.
Mix your starch according to the directions on the box. My fabric soaked from the time I mixed it (so boiling hot until cool enough to handle). If you use spray starch you can skip this step.
Wet your window thoroughly with the starch, then apply the fabric dripping wet. Just keep pressing out from center with your hand until smooth, then trim it up! Want to see more pics of the process? Hop on over to TreasuredChaos.com!

• Old curtain  (Hand-me-down)
  • Liquid Starch  (bulk store)

Treasuredchaos.com

• Anne Marie

I love this idea but how do you keep it clean?

• Treasuredchaos.com

sounds like a plan to me! I'll probably be ready for a change by the time it's due for a washing...I'm a bit more restless than most, though!

• Treasuredchaos.com

Well...I haven't washed it yet but that's why I recommend lace or other non-raveling material. If you pre-wash to get any shrinking out of the way beforehand, you can take it down, wash and put it back up as often as you want. I think I'll run my Serger around the edges before I put it through the wash just to be safe, though. I was just playing with this old distorted piece of fabric...maybe I'll wash it and update tomorrow...it's the weekend though so we'll have to see!

• Anne Marie

Thank you....I'm interested and seeing how it turns out. I have some old lace curtains from my grandmother that have seen better days and this would be a perfect way to use them.

• Paulette

This is very nice. I picked up some beautiful lace panels at a yard sale. I had no idea what I would do with them. I think k