DIY Toaster Crumb Catcher

Are crumbs all over your counter, drawer or cabinet from your toaster? When this happens I have to whip out the vacuum cleaner and vacuum the drawer.
I know that toasters have their own built in crumb catcher but I can’t say it really gets the job done well. Here is what my drawer looks like where we store the toaster.
toaster crumb catcher
toaster crumb catcher
I think I need to fire the crumb catcher…he is doing a CRUMBY job haha.
To make my drawer easier to clean up I decided to use some scrap wood and make a Toaster Crumb Catcher.
This is an easy and cheap project that will save some clean up headaches.
I used 1/4 plywood and 3/4 dowels scrap wood.
Here are the cuts.
*Your cuts will vary depending on the size of your toaster. My toaster measured 7 1/2 x 11 1/4 inches. I made my 1/4 inch plywood cuts approximately two inches longer on length and width to accommodate for the border.
toaster crumb catcher
Apply wood glue to all the border (dowel) pieces.
toaster crumb catcher
Then attach to bottom (1/4 plywood piece). Hammer in some 5/8 inches from the bottom if wanted, but this isn't necessary the wood glue once set should hold just fine. Apply clamps for a better seal.
toaster crumb catcher
I applied some white caulk to the cracks and then painted the crumb catcher with white paint. Then to add a little humor I created a fun stencil to go with it just to add some laughs to my morning toasting routine. I painted it using black and gray acrylic paint.
toaster crumb catcher
It works great in the drawer and now no more crumbs.
toaster crumb catcher
toaster crumb catcher
To see the project in its entirety come visit it me at the link below.
Looking for more kitchen project ideas?
Here is a kitchen project that adds some extra cabinet space, Custom Made Cabinet Shelves .
Another kitchen project that puts your recipe in its place while you are cooking, the Pallet Recipe Stand .
What kitchen projects have you made that help with organization in the kitchen?
Happy Building,
Tiffany

• Scrap wood
  • Wood glue
  • Clamps
Tiffany from Dream Design DIY

• Charmed

Great idea and so practical, however the stencil brings it up to a new level! You mentioned yo made the stencil. How - do you have a stencil maker? I’ll be visiting your links.

• Teri D. Maue

If you don't have carbon paper, use the side of a lead pencil on the back of the image. That works great too.