Painted furniture failure

+2
A few years back when my daughter moved to her own apartment I decided to make her two end tables which would be memorable. As a family we had traveled the world while working for the Canadian Foreign Service. I had two small wooden tables which I sanded down and re stained a dark walnut. I purchased an atlas from a thrift store and glued a map of London, England on one table and a map of Paris, France on the other. I gently tore the edges to give them a rustic look. I then rubbed a light coat of stain over the maps to age them then dipped the bottom of a beer mug into stain to add a few rings on the map to look like a wet glass once sat there. Over our years of travel I had collected many stamps and had a jar of loose coins. I carved out indentations and sunk the appropriate pence/pennies and francs into the wood and glued a few stamps from England and France on the appropriate table. I then added a few euros to reflect the change in the currency. I aged the stamps with a little stain as well. The tables looked so fantastic I was thinking I would like to keep them for me. So where is the failure you ask ? Well my last step was to coat the table top in epoxy so the maps/stamps and coins would be sealed in a protected and the tables would look like something out of a pub. I carefully read and followed the instructions on the preparation and application of the epoxy and everything seemed to be going well. Sadly after hours, days, weeks then months the epoxy never dried and the tables were covered in a sticky rippled goop. After months of hoping for the best I tried to remove the epoxy just creating a worse mess and eventually threw the tables in the garbage. It still makes me sad. I still have some of that epoxy but should throw it out because I am too afraid of ever trying it again. I ruined them on the very last step - boo hoo !!
  • Jamie Boyce Jamie Boyce on Jan 21, 2017
    So sorry for your loss. That is truly a shame. Could haves, would haves, should haves won't help now. Hopefully you took photos before you threw them out.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 22, 2017
    Oh man!!! That is so frustrating, isn't it interesting that sometimes a product doesn't work for no foreseeable reason? It was such a great idea though! I'm glad you tried it. And, thank you for sharing!!

• Diane Kirsch Diane Kirsch on Jan 27, 2017
    couldn't you have cut a piece of lucite and attached to the tops? Oh how i know this must be so sad! but, why ask the question now if you trashed them already? are they in the garage or ready for pick up? bring 'em back in and we'll see what we can think of

• Melody Melody on Jan 28, 2017
    No totally unable to save them - the epoxy made a thick sticky mess that was not able to be removed without damaging all the work I had done - they went in the garbage a long time ago - but I still think of them with annoyance !!

• Wow, that is a great story! So sorry that happened, especially after all that work, those tables sounded awesome!