Tip: Eliminate pins when sewing

+15
Hope this helps some Hometalkers!
t elliminate pins
t elliminate pins
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 22, 2017
    Thank you for sharing!
  • Trudy Trudy on Jan 22, 2017
    I sew, but I don't understand what tip you are suggesting...
  • Cwh6899259 Cwh6899259 on Jan 22, 2017
    I agree with Trudy. What are you trying to tell us? Place metal washers on your fabric instead of pinning it together and hope to hell they don't move as you maneuver your fabric around? Can't make any sense of this. Cut out your pattern being extra careful not to move the washers?
  • Two7361002 Two7361002 on Jan 22, 2017
    Perhaps they are Magnetic? 🤔
  • Margaret Powell Margaret Powell on Jan 22, 2017
    No, they simply lay on the pattern while you are cutting. This is quicker than pinning the pattern on the fabric. I did not post a picture of the pattern. When you are ready to sew pieces together, yes you will need to pin the pieces. Just a tip in pinning though, place pins in a bit from the seam line vertical to the seam so your presser foot runs along beside the pins. This way you do not need to stop and remove as you sew, and this is quicker. Often times, you can get by with far fewer pins.
  • Viola Viola on Jan 22, 2017
    You got it!!! My hubby had a can full of rusty old washers. I cleaned them up but they still looked bad so I took scrap material and cut it into strips and glued on the washers. I stacked some washers for more weight. It is so much easier than using straight pins.
    when I first started using weights to replace pins, I used old rusty washers also... I found that if I dipped them in paint, it smoothed them up nicely and they looked so much better. Just recently, I was at a hardware store and bought the galvanized ones. they are really nice and heavy.
  • Marilyn Zaruba Marilyn Zaruba on Jan 22, 2017
    My mother always used table knives. Same thing I would think.

• Mot15727313 Mot15727313 on Jan 23, 2017
    I use decorative river rocks from my decor in the house,,,Lol
  • Myr8816833 Myr8816833 on Jan 25, 2017
    U have been sewing for 69 years and have used this on occasion BUT the size of a garment can be changed by the way you cut it out. Sizes are changed by 1/4 of an inch, enlarged on all sides because the pattern is not secure, could be disappointing . This would be difficult on velvet or anything with a deep pile.
  • Margaret Powell Margaret Powell on Jan 25, 2017
    In the cases where my pattern wants to slip, I usually will increase the weight or use a pin here and there. I know I feel old at times but I have only been sewing 55 plus years! LOL!
  • Sally-Charles Evans Sally-Charles Evans on Jan 25, 2017
    I have pattern weights that my daddy made for me almost fifty years ago. He used metal lids from ready made formula bottles that I used for the baby. He took a bunch home and melted solder (lead) and poured it in the lids. He was an old-timey do it your selfer....He plumbed, carpentered, built elevator motors, and FISHED! He made his own sinkers with this lead. I still use my weights and think of him every time...
    GREAT memories! Enjoy them!
  • Drema Radford Drema Radford on Jan 26, 2017
    I like pins
  • Linda Stokes Linda Stokes on Jan 26, 2017
    I use many things for pattern weights. My favorite is the rocks that I have covered with old doilies that have seen better days. I just wrap them around the rock and hand sew them in place. I also have some rocks that my grand kids painted when they were little that I use. My Mom had some small Franklin Mint jade figurines that I use. They are something that I really wouldn't display but they are cute as pattern weights!
  • Margaret Powell Margaret Powell on Jan 26, 2017
    Super! Keep the memories going!!!!
  • Lyn Lyn on Jan 29, 2017
    I just carefully held the two pieces tightly. I gave up sewing when material n patterns got to be so expensive. I can usually find items cheaper off the rack with no effort. I traded my sewing machine in for a serger because the s machine couldn't keep up with me! Then I ended up not using it either.
    • Myr8816833 Myr8816833 on Jan 30, 2017
      you have to love to create by sewing. Also I have a fit problem and off the rack does not always work., Also you can make a one of a kind garment. Sorry you were discouraged, know yu will find something you like to do