Decorative Thermostat Cover

$8

Who loves easy and inexpensive projects that make a statement in your home? I know I do! I can’t think of anyone who doesn’t have a thermostat of some sort in their home and even though they are much needed, they aren’t always very attractive. This project is perfect for incorporating your thermostat into your home décor. We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
SUPPLIES: -unfinished wooden cigar/jewelry box -Behr Premium Plus Ultra Paint & Prime in One Paint (Colors: Cherry Cola-red, Rio Sky-aqua, and French Colony-grey) -1” paint brush -Pineapple stamp kit (I used a Yellow Owl Workshop Stamp kit from a previous project. This is a very similar one I found on Amazon. I love the symbolism of the pineapple which is a southern gesture of hospitality. ) -Black Double Beaded Cabinet Knob (you can use any knob you like, but I personally like this one from Amazon. I've also seen it at Home Depot, but it might be harder to find.) -Dewalt 12v drill -5/32” drill bit -#8 – 32 x 1/2” Everbilt round head combo screw -hammer -picture nails
STEP 1: Dissemble jewelry box First, I took all of the hardware off of the jewelry box I purchased from Michaels, being careful not to lose the tiny screws for the hinges, since I would re-use two of them.
Unless you want the closure attached for looks, you can also remove that. I didn't bother filling in any of the little screw holes as they were so tiny and couldn't be seen when the cover was hung.
Here is the box unassembled.
STEP 2: Paint jewelry box Next, I painted the half of the jewelry box that I was going to use as my thermostat cover. I decided on Behr “Rio Sky” as my base color.
STEP 3: Add design to box After my base color was dry, I used a small paint brush to apply Behr “Cherry Cola” red paint to my pineapple stamp, blotted the stamp on a piece of paper, and applied the stamp to my jewelry box. Then, I washed my stamp off and my paint brush out and did the same thing with Behr French Colony paint in order to stamp more pineapples in a different color. Once my design was complete, I let everything dry completely.
The stamping didn't come out crisp and perfect every time, but I still liked the worn look it gave.
STEP 4: Add knob Next, I used a drill bit roughly the same size as my screw and drilled a starter hole for my knob. If you want to measure to get the exact middle of the jewelry box, you can; however, I simply eyeballed the center and drilled there.
Then, I attached the knob using the screw to secure it from behind on the back side of the jewelry box.
Hold on to the knob securely as you drill in the screw from behind to ensure that the knob tightens.
STEP 5: Re-attach hinges and attach to wall Lastly, I re-attached the small hinges that came on the original jewelry box. Then finally, attached the thermostat cover over the thermostat, securing it in place with the picture hanging nails that I had on hand.
I really love this unique way of covering a not-so-decorative thermostat! This project is so versatile and you can create it to meet whatever décor style you have. What’s even better is that it’s simple and cost effective but really adds character to your home.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try

• Char

Does this interfere with getting the correct temperature?
    • GoddessOdd

I did a wicker basket too, hung in a grouping of other wicker baskets so it is perfectly camouflaged. I just made sure the basket over the thermostat had an open weave on the sides. My AC runs all the time here in Central FL, and as far as I can tell, the basket doesn't interfere with the function.

• Ray Merrigan

Wont covering the thermostat compromise its performance you'd get an incorrect reading!

• Susie

Yes! It WILL COMPROMISE ITS PERFORMANCE! Our furnace man instructed us to NOT OBSTRUCT the air flow right around the thermostat box!! Just ask any furnace professional.

• Teresa

How would your thermostat be able to regulate temperature with its intake vent covered?

• Karla Sanchez

Probably be a better idea to make just a wood frame and cover it with the pretty holed tin from Home Depot, ventilation runs all over then ;-)

• Anne Boone Simanski

I think using this for our old telephone jacks is a better idea than blocking the performance of the heat/ac jacks.