Asked on Jan 22, 2017

Any ideas to remove pet smells from carpet?

JulieJoye R. FosterJulie Dever
+7

Would love some help here! Thanks!
  • Hillela G.
    Hillela G.

I'm always a fan of cleaning and deodorizing with vinegar, You can also check out Juanita's helpful answers! http://www.hometalk.com/13580965/q-how-to-get-rid-of-pet-odor-in-your-car-s-carpet

Janet Pizaro

Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and leave overnight ,then vacuum.
  • Hop17809656
    Hop17809656

I had a wonderful, much-loved cat who became diabetic and peed all over my new dining room carpet - repeatedly. I tried all of the commercial products and could not get rid of the smell. Then someone told me to use vinegar. I soaked the carpet using a garden watering can - no water, just vinegar. It would take about a week to really dry out, and there was a odd combination smell of cat urine and vinegar for a few days, and then the smell was gone. It vaguely came back in about six months, so I did it again. I did it again six months later. Two years after that, the smell has not returned. I really soaked it to try to get through to the wood floor underneath. Don't waste your money on the commercial products. Just buy gallons of generic vinegar.
  • Winnie Nichols
    Winnie Nichols

Vinegar will neutralize the urine oder Th e apple cider vinegar is the best. I use in the wash to wash and sanitize animal bedding. Maaay not do the 1st time,, but let dry and redo in a few days. Most important sponge or with wet an vac get up all the urine that is possible. Put baking soda on for 24 hours to eliminate the smell b4 cleaning with vinegar. I've been using this method for many many years...

• Patti
    Patti

I second both the vinegar and baking soda and even lemon juice. SOAK with vinegar. If you want, sprinkle with baking soda and scrub with a scrub brush. (Lemon juice added cuts some of the vinegar smell if you want to use some with the vinegar.) Let it dry and then vacuum. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times but the smell of the cat urine will disappear. I tried many commercial cleaners and none of them worked well. This removed many years of cat urine on a front hall carpet in a home I bought. Vinegar is a disinfectant as well.

• Barbara Brown
    Barbara Brown

Google OdorXit.
  • Julie Dever
    Julie Dever

Baking soda and frequent vacuuming. Some smells cling to shedded fur!
  • Joye R. Foster
    Joye R. Foster

I had a bad cat urine problem--really bad. After trying professional cleaning and everything else, I pulled the carpet back to the wood, soaked it in vinegar, and allowed it to dry. I went to our dollar store and bought the cheap sticky tiles that are 12" X 12". A box of 25 cost $10. I put these over the wood, replaced the carpet pad, and cleaned the carpet with vinegar. This really worked, and the price was under $25.
  • Julie
    Julie

If its carpet  sprinkle with bicarbonate soda let sit for a while to absorb odours then vacuum.If its soiled carpet u may need to shampoo your carpets. Keep the house ventilated. When cleaning pet urine up don't use an ammonia based product as this encourages them to reoffend .Try using white vinegar or eucalyptus oil a few drops or lavender oil in warm water to dap offended spot .Or mop hard floors.