Privacy Glass Using Contact Paper

$8.00

Do you have windows or doors in your home that you want to make a little more private? In my home office, I have two glass doors that lead into our backyard - the only problem? They also lead my neighbors eyes in as well. As a renter, I can't buy new doors and don't want to invest in heavy duty window coverings, so I came up with a solution. Using budget-friendly contact paper, I created a simple stick-on frosted glass method that is tasteful and completely removable upon move-out! Be sure to check out other DIY home office projects!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

SUPPLIES:

This is a 'before' shot of my french doors. Hello, backyard neighbors!

Step 1: Measure.

Take out your tape measure or ruler and measure the glass surface area that you will be covering.

Step 2: Cut out your shapes.

Once you have your dimensions, decide what shape or pattern you'd like to create for your frosted glass pieces. I decided to use a simple diamond shape, which is simple to cut and line-up accurately. For my window, I cut out several 6" x 6" squares. The contact adhesive paper is great, because on the backside there is a grid with measurements already laid out. I was able to cut my shapes out quickly by following their guidelines.

Step 3: Stick your pieces on.

After cleaning your window with glass cleaner, begin applying your contact paper pieces. I advise working from the bottom up if you are covering a large-scale door or window. Using a steady hand and a careful eye, peel off the backing of your contact paper and stick your pieces on one-by-one, lining them up as you go. For my design, I left approximately 1/2" in between each row of diamonds.

After applying all of your pieces carefully, you should end up with a fully covered glass window. To cover these two large-scale doors, it took me approximately two hours total.

I'm so thrilled with the results! Not only do I now have privacy in my home office, but it also prevents birds from flying into my windows AND looks pretty classy too! Be sure to check out some other awesome DIY home decor projects to spruce up the decor in your home!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Elisabeth Robinson

Perfect idea!

I've just moved into a new place. I would love to save this project, how do I do that and, will i still have the light my windows provides me?

• Jessi G.

Yes , the light does come through if you use the frosted contact paper.

• Yolandazawistowsk12

I've never seen clear contact paper where do you buy it? Or that type of contact paper

• Deb

If I clean the window will it remove the contact paperr?

• Miles

great and easy to apply

• Lailasultani

I bought contact paper from online long ago I didn’t know how to stick it on my Windows it was so hard to do it all by myself once it stick hard to come out , I didn’t know to cut them in small pieces, than you so much for amazing project here, I’m going to apply my other windows like urs .