Privacy Glass Using Contact Paper

$8.00

Do you have windows or doors in your home that you want to make a little more private? In my home office, I have two glass doors that lead into our backyard - the only problem? They also lead my neighbors eyes in as well. As a renter, I can't buy new doors and don't want to invest in heavy duty window coverings, so I came up with a solution. Using budget-friendly contact paper, I created a simple stick-on frosted glass method that is tasteful and completely removable upon move-out! Be sure to check out other DIY home office projects!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

SUPPLIES:

This is a 'before' shot of my french doors. Hello, backyard neighbors!

Step 1: Measure.

Take out your tape measure or ruler and measure the glass surface area that you will be covering.

Step 2: Cut out your shapes.

Once you have your dimensions, decide what shape or pattern you'd like to create for your frosted glass pieces. I decided to use a simple diamond shape, which is simple to cut and line-up accurately. For my window, I cut out several 6" x 6" squares. The contact adhesive paper is great, because on the backside there is a grid with measurements already laid out. I was able to cut my shapes out quickly by following their guidelines.

Step 3: Stick your pieces on.

After cleaning your window with glass cleaner, begin applying your contact paper pieces. I advise working from the bottom up if you are covering a large-scale door or window. Using a steady hand and a careful eye, peel off the backing of your contact paper and stick your pieces on one-by-one, lining them up as you go. For my design, I left approximately 1/2" in between each row of diamonds.

After applying all of your pieces carefully, you should end up with a fully covered glass window. To cover these two large-scale doors, it took me approximately two hours total.

I'm so thrilled with the results! Not only do I now have privacy in my home office, but it also prevents birds from flying into my windows AND looks pretty classy too! Be sure to check out some other awesome DIY home decor projects to spruce up the decor in your home!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans

• Yolandazawistowsk12
    Yolandazawistowsk12

I've never seen clear contact paper where do you buy it? Or that type of contact paper

• Deb
    Deb

If I clean the window will it remove the contact paperr?

• K Holladay
      K Holladay

No. Not just with cleaning. It needs to be peeled and/or scraped off.

• NotHermione
    NotHermione

I tried this on single pane windows. The glue on the contact paper turned an ugly tannish-brown after 2-3 years. Some of the paper curled but couldn't be peeled off. I suspect that the problem was using this on single pane glass. Any ideas as to what went wrong ???

• Connie
      Connie

Carefully use a single-edge razor to remove the glue.

• Gloria McKague
    Gloria McKague

Love this ...looks great and you so inspired me that I'm going to copy!

• Francine
    Francine

It truly looks awesome. And classy. Never thought about shapes like this. You did a great job!