Privacy Glass Using Contact Paper

$8.00

Do you have windows or doors in your home that you want to make a little more private? In my home office, I have two glass doors that lead into our backyard - the only problem? They also lead my neighbors eyes in as well. As a renter, I can't buy new doors and don't want to invest in heavy duty window coverings, so I came up with a solution. Using budget-friendly contact paper, I created a simple stick-on frosted glass method that is tasteful and completely removable upon move-out! Be sure to check out other DIY home office projects!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
privacy glass using contact paper

SUPPLIES:

privacy glass using contact paper

This is a 'before' shot of my french doors. Hello, backyard neighbors!

privacy glass using contact paper

Step 1: Measure.

Take out your tape measure or ruler and measure the glass surface area that you will be covering.
privacy glass using contact paper

Step 2: Cut out your shapes.

Once you have your dimensions, decide what shape or pattern you'd like to create for your frosted glass pieces. I decided to use a simple diamond shape, which is simple to cut and line-up accurately. For my window, I cut out several 6" x 6" squares. The contact adhesive paper is great, because on the backside there is a grid with measurements already laid out. I was able to cut my shapes out quickly by following their guidelines.
privacy glass using contact paper

Step 3: Stick your pieces on.

After cleaning your window with glass cleaner, begin applying your contact paper pieces. I advise working from the bottom up if you are covering a large-scale door or window. Using a steady hand and a careful eye, peel off the backing of your contact paper and stick your pieces on one-by-one, lining them up as you go. For my design, I left approximately 1/2" in between each row of diamonds.
privacy glass using contact paper

After applying all of your pieces carefully, you should end up with a fully covered glass window. To cover these two large-scale doors, it took me approximately two hours total.

I'm so thrilled with the results! Not only do I now have privacy in my home office, but it also prevents birds from flying into my windows AND looks pretty classy too! Be sure to check out some other awesome DIY home decor projects to spruce up the decor in your home!

• Deborah Jones

If I decide later I no longer want the windows done like this is it removable ?

• Gale O'Neal
      16 minutes ago

Easier to remove if you buy the window or door privacy sheets. I did this to three glass doors. Below is the one I did in the front room that has L shaped porch. Now hubby can sit there and watch the game without everyone see him. Easy to remove at any time since it is only put in place with soapy water and then all excess water is flattened away with a credit card or tool that it comes with. Easy Peasy!

• Elisabeth Robinson

Perfect idea!

I've just moved into a new place. I would love to save this project, how do I do that and, will i still have the light my windows provides me?

• Jessi G.

Yes , the light does come through if you use the frosted contact paper.

• Yolandazawistowsk12

I've never seen clear contact paper where do you buy it? Or that type of contact paper

• Jessi G.

My daughter did this on her sliding glass doors in her apartment several years ago, at my suggestion, and we both agree it was an excellent project to provide some privacy from the neighbors. It has held up well and when she moves, the shapes will be easily removed.

• R

I just measured he bottom half of our bathroom window and applied the contact paper. It provides great pruvacy