Simple Indoor/Outdoor Fire Bowl

$2

This is an easy indoor/outdoor fire bowl you can make. It safely puts off heat, adds ambiance, is great for survival emergencies like power outages, and is inexpensive to make.

You will need the following: A cookie tin (or other container of your choice) A empty can washed out Rocks or sand Wall Sticker, ribbon, or paint Hand Sanitizer Lighter
Use the wall sticker (mine came from Dollar Tree) to decorate the outside of the cookie tin. You could also glue on ribbon, or simply paint it.
Place an empty washed out can in the center of the cookie tin.
Add rocks around the tin can. You could use sand, or another decorative item of your choice.
Put the hand sanitizer in the tin can.
To protect your surface - I would suggest placing on a trivet, pot holder, etc.
Light the hand sanitizer. The alcohol content in the hand sanitizer is what will burn and alcohol is a clean burning fuel.
If using inside, be sure to crack a window for oxygen flow. Never leave a lit flame unattended.
This is great to have around in case of emergencies. If your power goes out you can use it to cook with.
You can roast marshmallows over it and make s'mores. To put the fire out - simply save the can lid to snuff it, or you can lay a damp washcloth or towel over it.
Please join me Tuesday, January 24th at 7pm EST on Hometalk Facebook Live! You'll see this and more tips on "warming" your home.
I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Rockies Connie

Yes! I will use 3 tuna cans inside. I will make several to group together or 1 for each side table. Is there anything similar to but cheaper than hand sanitizer?

• Lynn

Save your dryer lint, old candles and cardboard egg cartons. Stuff the dryer lint in the holes where the egg used to be. Melt the wax and pour it over the lint, filling each egg cup. When it’s hard, cut into 12 individual pieces. You can use this instead of sanitizer. We use theses for everything from starting a campfire to starting charcoal for grilling. They light really easy and stay lit for a long time.

• Kim

How much of the hand sanitizer is needed, yet not too much?

• Sjt29229935

I have that exact tin. Think I inherited it from my mother-in-law years ago.  Now I know what to do with it instead of continuing to shove it around.

Two questions:

1. How long does the hand sanitizer burn? Seems like it wouldn't last too long.
    2. Is it truly safe to eat food cooked over it? Doesn't it emit undesirable by-products not wise to consume?

Thank you.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

For me it ran a couple hours - so probably depends on how much you put in there. As far as cooking food over it. The research said that the alcohol in the hand sanitizer is what is burning and that is clean. The rest is left behind, so you can decide if you want to try it or not.

• Nic

I can see myself doing this!!! Who doesn't have a cookie tin, an empty can, rocks and hand sanitizer? I'm already picturing myself sitting outside on my patio in the summer with this as a centerpiece. You are a GENIUS!

Nic

• Leslie

Lol great idea in a pinch, and to think people use this stuff on their hands :X