Amy
Amy
  • Jacksonville, FL

Textured Wallpaper in Kitchen

$14

I wanted a easy and frugal update to my kitchen.
textured wallpaper in kitchen, kitchen design, wall decor
I cleaned the walls with bleach water then sanded briefly with sandpaper.
I then wiped all the walls down and dried once more.
I used $14 textured wallpaper from Lowes. I soaked the paper for 30 seconds, then folded together for 5 minutes before placing on the wall. It's called booking and it's to fully activate the glue on the back. I then used a tool to flatten against the wall. I then used a small cutting knife that provided a clean cut on corners.
I love the outcome so far. This wallpaper is textured and can also be painted.

• RUTH WAINOHU

can you tell me the best way to put back splash over brick, or should i just use tiles,

• Stevie Johnson

Backsplash is the area, not the materials used to cover it. You had me confused for a minute:) Unless your brick is super flat w/ little to no indentation in the grout lines, I think to use any sort of paper, even w/ the liner is asking for trouble. The only exception I can see would be to skim coat over the brick w/ concrete, plaster or joint compound to get a much more level surface first. Joint compound easiest to work w/ but will take at least 2 coats. The first applied thickly will crack & take at least overnight to set up. The second to fill the cracks & hopefully be flat or reasonably so. Then a sanding to level it more & take off any bumps. Just 2 coats assumes those grout lines aren't so deep your filling material will sag. If it does, you will have to wipe it off while still wet & just fill them partway, do another coat after it sets up & then, MAYBE, you can do your finish coat. Floating while your fill material is not completely dry but firm enough to not get damaged is faster & easier than sanding, but you need a bit of skill to do it well. Sanding is slower & for a beginner less likely to cause you more work. Remember: If you can feel a bump or an indentation, you can see it after you paint or apply wallcovering. Sand, fill any spots that need it. Sand again. Feel again. Repeat as necessary. on & around those spots. Once you get the wall smooth & flat enough, prime your filled area. Twice. Allowing the primer to dry completely between coats. It makes your paper stick better, but also makes it easier to remove w/o damaging the wall when you get ready for a change.

• Tim

This is wall paper, correct? I foresee a lot of oil splatters soaking into the "paper" and spotting (and thus ruining) this project within a short time.

• Mary Anne

I did this many years ago. I put several layers of high gloss paint over the wallpaper and it is really scrubable. Nothing sticks to it...just wipe with a damp cloth and it cleans up in seconds. Still looks wonderful!

• Shannon Smith

I wonder how it would work if you put a matte finish polyurethane over it? It would prevent spotting and grease soaking I think. What's your thoughts on it?

• Linda Christensen

Maybe.

• Nancy Renea Kilian

I love the look of the wallpaper! I was trying to figure out how to fit tile in my budget, but saw this and got super excited! I will paint it and seal the paint with a paint product of some kind to water proof it! Great idea you had here! Thank u for sharing!

• Mary Anne

I just used 2 layers of high gloss paint to seal mine using a roller. Turned out beautifully and very scrubable. Nothing sticks. Just wipe down with a damp cloth.