Textured Wallpaper in Kitchen

$14

I wanted a easy and frugal update to my kitchen.
I cleaned the walls with bleach water then sanded briefly with sandpaper.
I then wiped all the walls down and dried once more.
I used $14 textured wallpaper from Lowes. I soaked the paper for 30 seconds, then folded together for 5 minutes before placing on the wall. It's called booking and it's to fully activate the glue on the back. I then used a tool to flatten against the wall. I then used a small cutting knife that provided a clean cut on corners.
I love the outcome so far. This wallpaper is textured and can also be painted.

• Lmi14393911

how do you clean it

• Amy

Well, I am not completely sure just yet. I plan to just use water on a rag. Thank you for your question.

• Sharon Gehrke Wolf

I did this several years ago. I spray painted it with hammered cooper paint and then a clear coat. I just wipe clean, but not often. If I wipe off any paint I just touch it up.

• Gwu10463587

I've done this. I painted mine a bronze colored with craft paint from Hobby Lobby. I loved it! It looks good and inexpensive. If you need something while you wait for the real thing is it.

• Catherine

How did you finish the ends?

• Amy

I ended at the end of my cabinets. Used a tool that looked like a box cutter for clean edge.

• Marilyn Crowson

I'm renting....can this be taken down later on?

• Lila

It can but it is a lot of work. You have to steam it to soften the glue then scrap it off. The walls may need to be painted after.

• Belinda

If you use sizing when you wallpaper it will come up easily.

• Belinda

If you use sizing when you hang wallpaper it will come off easily.

• Dig12200852

use the very easy "repositional wallpaper. I did

• Lisa Petersen

Precut foam board to the shape of your wall, then apply the wallpaper to the foam board. Attach to the wall using the white stuff you use to anchor pictures without using nails (forget the name, it's at Home Depot). Easy to remove with zero wall damage for when you move, or want a change

• Mary McDonald

Excellent idea Lisa!!

• Angela Huddy

Not really because once you sand off the texture, it never looks right with just paint again. If you wanted to do that you might have to mount it on something else then cut to fit. Maybe foam core? Won’t look quite as right

• Edith Mahoney

I'm confused. Is this prepasted wallpaper? If so, did you fold the pasted sides together? How does it stick on the wall?

• GJ

Folding (also called booking) helps activate the paste..you open it back up after a few minutes and hang it up.

• Faye Muir West

Edith, I think you fold the paste sides together to book it. I have done that.

• Two7361002

Love your wallpaper! But my query is What is the pot hanging on the hook there for, does it hold knives or what? Cheers, well done, very nice job with the wallpaper. 🤗

• Amy

Thank you so much! The pot is a strainer I hung. My dad wanted to put this hook up for me but I haven't really decided what to hang there.

• Peggyb121

that isn't knives, looks like the blender lid

• Pinky

That's beautiful ! Even I have bought wall paper from menards but was wondering which adhesive to use , but you say you just soaked it in water and it sticks to wall ? Did I get it right

• Marge Shay

You can buy pre pasted wallpaper, which is probably what she used. You wet the paper and fold the pasted sides together (book them) allows the paste to become tacky before hanging.

• Cindy Fell Lemons

Nice look. I have a hook there too, I use it for drying dishes. It hangs above my dish drainer. The towels that hang off the cupboards are for hands. Easy reminder.

• Vonnie

I love it. But can you wash it? I mean wipe it with a wet cloth or use use any kind of cleaner on it? Thank you for sharing.

• Les

I used this type of wallpaper on my ceiling to give a tin panel effect. I used Semi-Gloss enamel to paint. It washes just fine. As long as it is sealed with a good quality paint. it should be washable, but you wouldn't want to get it soaking wet when you do. You can also contact the manufacturer and they will be able to give you a definite answer.

• Sandra Crosbie

I agree with Les. Use good quality paint and wiping clean with a sponge and warm soapy water brings it up nice and clean. Not soaking wet.

• Carole

I have a hook by my sink too. It's very handy to have for a dish or hand towel.

• Susiesmom

I am think of doing this. I am going to paper with paintable paper, paint and then go over with varathene to make it waterproof and easy to wipe down. Great solution for apartments if you don't want to spend a lot

• Debby Dale

I used this type of wallpaper on my kitchen cabinets over five years ago. I sealed the edges with caulk and painted with a washable paint. I clean my cabinet every week using a kitchen cleaner and so far so good. They look as good as the day I finished them.

• Gail

Debbie, I would love to see a picture of that!

• Lizanne Johnson

Debbie, do you mean you covered the exterior of your cupboard ps?

• Mary McDonald

Debbie pleeez post a pic. I would love to see also!😃

• Karen

I see you have a short tile backsplash adjoining the countertops. I don't so this won't work as a backsplash solution for me. I need the water containment feature before I can do this, right?

• Amy

I agree with you on this one!

• Bonnie

I put this up 5 years ago& painted it a copper color gloss. Looks like tile & washesup good. My back splash is 3 times higher than hers. Love it! Bobbie in Savannah, Ga..

• Faye Muir West

Looks great.

• Lisa Terry Hann

You can paint aniglypta paper. If if was painted, then sealed it would still work.

• Debby Dale

You would need to seal it at the bottom and top with a bead of caulk and paint the paper with a water proof paint.

• Julie

What did you mean by folded it together for 5 min. ?

• Amy

The instructions say to fold the glued sides together called booking for 5 minutes so the adhesive gets prepared.

• Micky

But don't crease it or you will have the fold line.

• Susiesmom

You have to let the paper rest a few minutes before you put it on. Frankly, I don't do this and I have papered many, many times. I also always brush on wallpaper paste even if I am using prepasted.

• Linda Scott

Can this be stripped off. Sometimes renters cant do this type of thing?

• Char Christensen

I would talk to your landlord about it. It many cases, you can wallpaper but may have to remove it before you move out of the apartment.

• Debby Dale

Most landlords would welcome the improvement if it is done in a professional manner.

• Susan

just ask. and if you read the instructions on wallpaper rolls - it will say if it is removable (by just pulling etc.) or if it will take professional removal, etc. READ the packaging and ASK the employees in that department!

• DS

There are tons of removable wallpaper options. Peel and stick - decals, murals, monochromatic, 100's of designs.

• Daw7513522

Just wanted to clarify "folded together for 5 min." Does this mean you double layered? Hate to sound like a dope, just wanted to be sure.

• R Walter

What she did is called booking the paper. You fold the pasted sides together in order for the glue to activate so it will adhere to the wall.

• Brenda White Campbell

You lay the paper folded over with back to back so the adhesive will activate. It is termed as booking by professional hangers.

• Dpbeee2

Is this waterproof?

• Mary jane

Where did you find that paper? Used alaglypta instead. Thanks

• Linda

Would you be able to apply this OVER tile already there or would I have to remove the tile? Yours looks just beautiful!

• Denise Roesch Beres

I would like to try this over tile,myself. Anyone have an idea if that could work?

• Bev

I am sure it would be fine over tile. And I would choose a vinyl washabe wallpaper so you could clean it gently.

• T. L. Judd

It is always better to remove the tile, grout and thinset as well as prep the walls before applying any wallpaper. Otherwise, you will be able to see grout lines, tile imperfections and may have issues with the wallpaper adhering. Also, be careful removing the tile and grout. If care is not taken you risk damaging the drywall underneath. Slow and steady work will pay off when you see your beautiful walls.

• Cindy

I was wondering weather you sealed this in some way? If it is just paper, won't you have a problem over the stove trying to keep it clean? ( oil, grease, etc ) You did wonderful job and the paper is beautiful...ideas😀🆒 !!!!

• Pas17491360

Best to seal it with clear finish or a scrubbable paint of your choice.

• William Hood

How easy is it to clean being a back splash in the kitchen?

• Amy

Only time will tell! This is all new to me...

• Daw7513522

I wonder if it's possible to spray over it w/a protective coating, making it possible to wipe clean should there be splatters?

• Kathy Lindenmuth

Maybe mod podge or something like it. I have used it over a border N I can just wipe it clean tv

• Dlo6650951

I was planning to do the same thing and my plan is to just roll on a sealer. I have used this type of wallpaper many times and it is not only beautiful but dimensional. It is like any wallpaper in that it will tear if it is hit with something sharp but the beauty of it is that because is has dimension, it is easy to hide a repair.

• Eliana

You can always give it a coat of white kitchen paint to help with the cleaning, white on white, would still look the same.

• RoyPat Thompson

Use plexiglass.

• Sherry Zink Morrison

What is anaglyptic wallpaper? And is this pre glued? Wondering if it is, would it be even better to also use wallpaper glue also. I love this idea! Looks great! Although I'm also a little worried about keeping it clean behind the stove.

• Amy

It's preglued and once dry is stuck so no wallpaper glue needed.

• Judypatoodie

That's true. After wetting and booking for about 5 minutes, the glue is activated and easy to use. Wallpaper will "stretch" a bit after booking, so keep that in mind when cutting it. Painting it will help with food spatters. I think you should always paint anaglypta wallpaper. It's meant to be painted and most people call it paintable wallpaper.

• T

I use wallpaper paste will this type of paper. While this paper is referred to as Anaglyptic wallpaper, there is also a textured wallpaper instock at most Lowes' stores: https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-White-Paper-Paintable-Wallpaper/3379100. I have wallpapered several ceilings with this paper and painted it. It has held up very well for over the last 15 years. The tin ceiling look for a fraction of the cost. FYI I don't wet prepasted wallpaper with water, but rather just brush wallpaper paste to the dry paper, book it and apply after the instructed time as if using water.

• Aro12068474

How do you fold the paper together without making a crease? If you want all of the glue side to be touching when folded, you have to flatten it all out, meaning you'll have a crease.

• Sandi

After you've brushed wallpaper paste on the back of un-pasted wallpaper or soaked pre-pasted wallpaper, find the center of the paper and line up one of the edges on that imaginary center line, butting the two wet sides together and do the same with the other end. This is called 'booking'. Smooth the layers together but don't crease the folds, just ever so lightly, smooth up to the fold, without really creasing it. Hope this makes sense. You can also go to YouTube and do a search for 'booking wallpaper' - I bet their video would explain it a lot better than I have.

• Sandi

• Tikkihut

How well will it keep with grease? Is it washable?

• Shawna Bailey

I think if you paint it with something that has a good cleanable finish then you could clean it.

• Nancy Hill

Don't think i would like to have to try to clean in those creases of the design...I rather something smooth

• T

Cover with plexiglass to protect surface but still see the pattern.

• Polly Aldrich

temporary fix, looks pretty but I give it 6 months

• Tami

Mod Podge it with at least 2 coats!! That should make a cleanable surface. Or, use a "kid's room" paint over it that will make it easy to wipe clean.

• Gatorfan

Do you think this will work over wood paneling?

• Amy

I looked the product up in lowes and it said the following... Textured wallpaper covers minor wall imperfections and paneling.

• Patti

I used pretty shelf paper on my paneling. Washable too.

• I owned a double wide mobile home that had paneling in the dining room . I used a textured wallpaper and its was beatiful. You could not see any of the seams.

• Suzy May

How do you get grease and water spots,off the paper,how do you clean grease .from your wallpaper

• Emily Schreiber

You can't. It is paper. Must be painted first with an eggshell paint or glossier. Flat and even sometimes eggshell absorbs oils and liquids.

• RoyPat Thompson

Put a piece of plexiglass behind the stove.

• Maz13736556

Since it is textured how well does it clean behind the stove with cooking grease?

• Amy

I don't know yet. Only time will tell but for $14 I'm happy so far.

• Emily Schreiber

It is paper. Definitely needs to be painted.

• Diane Smith

I have use wallpaper for years for back splashes in my kitchen and bathrooms for years.I used the bead board textured paper to do my kitchen in about 4 years ago.First try dry cutting as much as you can this paper rips easily, second I used sizing and paste much easier to remove and hang.Caulk the edges.I always use 2 or 3 coats of clear matte finish it helps repeal water dirt and grease. After 4 yrs.mine still looks fine except because it is textured if you will have areas that show indentations if bump with heavy items.It is a super great low cost alternative for changes things.

• Kathleen Duggan-Beier

What is the paper and is it in stock wallpaper? Maybe it can be sealed?

• Jj

They stock it at my Lowes. You have to paint and seal well for this application. I have it on a bad ceiling

• Anb6506102

It's meant to be painted & sealed

• Joan

textured paper is not that old of an idea but was used to cover imperfections on walls instead of changing or putting on new drywall etc. as it could be painted or even put on a wall for a decorative wall.

• Margaret Schultz

How do you clean it if something spatters?

• Judy Hauser

Paper must be sealed, coated or painted in order to be cleanable. this paper is made to be painted-it mimics old tin and sculptured walls and ceilings

• Lee Ann Perez

This is the one reason I painted it when I used it, with a really good paint and then sealed it with polyacrylic. Worked quite well.

• Sta15167634

Would this work over ceramic tiles?

• Amy Williams

I used it in my bathroom and it worked fine. I put it over ceramic tiles and then painted it. It came out good and stayed in place for 4 yrs. until I removed it.

• Barbra Steele

What about behind the sink? Is it waterproof?

• Blanch Phillips

is the finished wall washable?

• Amy

Per Lowes website, this product is washable.

• Jazz

If this is just paintable wallpaper it's not very durable unless it is painted and sealed somehow. If this is a vinyl product of some kind it's probably durable.

• Lee

I did this and sealed it with clear polyurethane so it's washable and water-resistant.

• Karen Wiggers Rodgers

Would this hold up to steam, etc. in a bathroom?

• MaryJane Nuskey

Hi, I did this for my daughter about 10 years ago and we painted the wallpaper with clear polyurethane paint (gloss or matte, your choice) 2 coats, let dry very well between coats. You can wash down paper with mild detergent and damp sponge once sealed. It has lasted a long time. Note: Don't forget to use wallpaper sizing on your wall before papering so you can get the paper off easy later on.

• Cindi Olson Hope

I did a wainscoting in my bathroom, with the textured paintable wall paper 3 years ago still looks like the day I put it up

• Marjorie Bianco Hege

We put this in our bathroom 22 years ago - even the ceiling! We painted 2 coats of kitchen & bath paint. The paper is still on the walls with no loosening, but.. you have to clean with a soft brush or brush vacuum attachment to get into the crevices. It still looks great after thousands of steamy showers!

• Carol

Hi, firstly, this looks fab!!! But my question is, why did u fold the wallpaper before u put it on the wall? Wallpaper is my absolute nemesis, because I'm a bit OCD, and everything needs to be perfect!!! :-)

• Amy

Thank you!! The wallpaper is folded together which is called booking. This helps the adhesive set before you apply to the wall.

• Carol

Thanks, good to know! But sorry, won't the 'booking' leave a fold?

• Debbie Bailey Birhanu

No, you don't crease it.

• Brenda Dobry Patterson

No, you don't actually crease it, just fold.

• Kathy Miller

How do you remove grease spatters from the stove?

• Barbara R

I would suggest covering it with clear contac paper right after you place it up. That might work!

• Shirley Fuschino

How about putting polyurethane on top after painting

• Kathy

How about a large plastic cutting board or a piece of plexiglass or polished edge glass. I painted mine and just carefully wiped it off.

• Kathy

Paint would be the best option I think.
  • Lou

Is it hard to clean since it is textured?
    • Wendy

Use a damp sponge with a mild de-greaser , but not too wet you dont want the wallpaper to lift!
  • Jon W Foster

i have been checking on prices for the 'plastic sheets' that look like the old metal ceiling tile .. i would love to use them for my back splash .. but they are kind of costly ... this would be a cheaper alternative ... does anyone know of a painting technique to mimic aged copper or bronze?
    • Carol Kallaur

There are spray paints by rustoleum that mimic hammered metal. Worked very well on my vinyl tabletop. I used the plastic metal tiles in my last house...looked great, easy to clean and11 years later still looked new. I have also used this paintable wallpaper but not with a metallic finish but should not think it wouldn't work.

• C. D. Scallan

we've used the rustoleum oil rubbed bronze on quite a few things and gotten great results .

• Lora Wolynetz Pingitore

I hung the same wallpaper then painted it metallic silver (Not sure the brand but it came in a plastic jar from a home improvement store). Finished with clear polyurethane, 2 light coats. It's been up for 12 years, perfect conditio. Still love it.
  • Pam Johnson

Is it vinyl?
  • Spencer

I used textured paper on the ceiling of my guest room - love it
  • Larry Blair

How easy to clean & what to use toclean it.
    • Terry Van Hooser

This wallpaper would be difficult to clean. Grease would soak into the paper, as would cooking spills, i.e. tomato sauce and water spots. There is no cleaner that I know of that you could use on it. We bought this paper and used it on our living room ceiling in our 1900 era house. What we bought from Lowe's was not vinyl. It was paintable textured paper. It was beautiful, and we painted ours an eggshell white. I would hope in the kitchen, they would paint it a glossy color to help protect their project.
    • Sharon Syler

Terry since you did this on the ceiling, how difficult was it to do on your ceiling?

• Lora Wolynetz Pingitore

I put this up the exact same way except I painted it a mettalic silver and applied two coats of polyurethane on top. It's been up 14 years and still perfect.
    • Annette Broyles

I did kitchen backsplash same way more than 10 years ago and painted it white. I was squeezing grapes for juice and it exploded all over it. After I threw a little fit, I remembered it was paintable, so calmed down. However I was able to just wash it off and it looked brand new. I feel it is a great solution when you can't afford another solution. I have also put it on the ceiling, but it would have been easier with more than two people as the wallpaper gets heavy.
  • Rob Marc

Is there a kind of paint to go over old ceramic tiles? I live in a house that was built in the 1950's and this is what is in the kitchen and the bathroom. I think that it would be too messy to remove them. What do you think?
    • Amy

This is paintable wallpaper, not tile. So maybe you could look on pinterest to see if there is a product that you can use to paint over your tile.
    • Sue Turner Seymour

yes there is a paint to go on ceramic tile I just saw it on City line last week it is from Behr, I know that can be a pricey paint but I am sure you can get it at other stores like Lowes. All she did was take a bit of sandpaper and just scuffed up the ceramic but not a lot of sanding at all. looked beautiful when done she painted them white and went right over all the grout as well.
    • Paulette Peters-Pedersen

U can use this walk paper over tile..and wood paneling..i have .
    • Tami Rodrigue Dutil

I'm a painter and the only thing I trust is Glidden Gripper. It comes in light gray and dark gray. I get mine at Home Depot. A couple of coats will do the job over your tile. I just redid my tile bath. I painted the walls white and added a few Black squares here and there to give dimension. I also wallpapered over the tile around the commode. The only prep I did was to scuff up the tiles a bit, using 100 grit. Hope this helps you.

• Kay Stewart

Just paint with a coat of Kiltz prior to painting. I chose paint with a semi gloss & used a roller on vintage tile from 40's and it turned out beautifully!!
  • Sandra Cannazzaro-Grinder

Since it is in the kitchen, after painting it should I put polyurethane on it to protect it from splatters?

• Barb Fellows

I used washable paper in my kitchen and noticed that splattered grease did soak I even though I tried to clean if off asap. Next time, I will polyurethane them
  • Linda Dyer

Special wall prep to insure easy removal?
    • Gail Bouldin

Primer with oil base primer easy removal and you can paint over with latex paint later if you want a change.
    • Kokolaw

Apply sizing to wall before installing wallpaper. The sizing makes the paper easier to apply and remove.
  • Rita Shykowski

can you put this over sheet looking tiles

• Jolene Ledbetter Clement

Can you apply this over Formica? The same Formica that covers my counter top, also was used from counter top to bottom of upper cabinets.
    • Martha O'Brian

If it's only 14.00, I would get some ans test a piece.
    • Kelly Aldrich-Sullivan

I have used wallpaper over Formica backsplash. Worked well
    • Kat

I've actually used this on a 1/2 bath ceiling after all the "popcorn" was removed. Just the adhesive on the wallpaper kept it in place. I painted it a metallic copper color and it looked great!
  • Cathy Rolfe

how did you finish the ends?
  • Marilyn Osborn

I notice it behind your stove, will grease splashes clean off?
    • Brenda Adkins Graffeo

It will have to be protected with something.
    • Jan Mayers

That's why it needs to be painted.
    • Rae Goodrich

Grease splatters won't wash off wallpaper but even painting it shows the seams so I took mine off and used embossed stainless and it's nice.
    • Donna Pollard Adkins

If you coat it with poly it will wash right off.
    • Pat Argenti

If you coat it with poly it will be really hard to take off when you decide to change to something else.
    • Connie Smith

You can also cut a piece of plexiglass and put it over the paper behind the stove to protect it.
  • Carol Headrick Frazier

Can you put it over linoleum back splash
  • Linda kelley

My walls have sandpit on them. How can I do this over it?
    • Amy

Maybe you could sand the walls down, so that the paper sticks and its flat. Sorry that I am not more helpful.
    • Tracy Wickwire

That is correct. You'll have to sand it down or use drywall mud to fix it.

• Kaa

We have 12x12 tiles with grout lines on the counter and wall/backsplash. Would the paper work?
  • Jaye Pilgrim Welch

Can you paint the wall paper, or does it come in different color?
  • Jw.13742123

Is there glue on the back of this kind of paper I thought u had to buy glue for this kind of paper
  • Candy Nygaard

What about the heat issue behind the stove? Will it burn ?What about the water issue from behind the sink ? Will it get water logged?
    • Amy

I have had this wallpaper for about 7 months now and havent had any issues. Of course my stove has a high back. I dont fry really because I had a house fire as a teenager. I havent had any water log issues. However, I have used a cloth with water to clean when I have had things splash and it has come off so far. I dont know the long run for this wallpaper as this is new to me. For me, its a temporary solution until i can have back splash installed. It will be another year for that.
  • Ann22290833

Do you soak the paper for 30 seconds or 30 minutes? Both are stated in your description.
  • I have no backsplash in my kitchen or behind my stove. I've been thinking of doing inexpensive beadboard up. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking it would wash better if I paint it?
    • Laura Mitchell Voorhies

Same here! I live in an apt and I've seen the wallpaper that looks like beadboard and may try that - or use some real bead board I have leftover from a furniture project.
    • Laura Mitchell Voorhies

• Carol

I have real breadboard painted with semi gloss and I love it.
    • Karen J

I also have real beadboard. I painted it, then put a few coats of polyacrylic on it. Everything wipes right off.
  • Clc20132473

How would you clean the wall paper behind the stove? W/ the textures, I would think grease etc . splatters would be difficult. It DOES look very nice.
    • Amy

I havent had any troubles yet since i have a high back stove.
    • Hannahbare

I would think if you used the right paint it wouldn't be any different then wiping down a painted wall. I love the idea I used it in a bathroom and one of the walls was that Formica type of wall and it covered it nicely with no issues

• Ral21584888

sounds great i dont have any back splash but how ccan u keep it clean can u put something on it
    • Esther Diamond

You could by a roll of clear sticky back plastic (don't think that's the proper name) and put it over the paper. It could then be wiped clean. Or a couple of glass cutting mats, fixed to the wall behind your cooker with something like no more nails!
    • Amy

I have been told to paint it with a sealer. I have not done that yet. My daughter did get cherry juice on the wallpaper and I cleaned with a rag lightly wet. It came right off. Ive also seen this new 3d wallpaper that looks very easy to install and like subway tile.
    • Dotty

I did this same project, went one step further and painted it with semi-gloss paint. Wipes down like a dream. Dorothy
    • Cindy

I have used the wall paper as a cover for my ceiling tiles. Very easy to install. I think I will try this, but I do believe it should be sealed with something. Not sure what though. I like Dorothy's idea of painting it with semi gloss paint.
    • Liz

We sealed our imitation wood plank wallpaper with 2 coats of acrylic polyurethane. It wipes down beautifully. I've also wallpapered over formica, but used an extra heavy duty wall paper glue. Brushed it evenly on the back of the wall paper with a wide paint brush. Then, we sealed that with 2 coats of acrylic poly urethane. You can use wallpaper to cover so many things, even furniture. Just be sure that it's glued down well, & put 2 coats of acrylic poly urethane over it when it's completely dry.
  • L_j2920447

Will this work to cover Formica?
    • Fra25410315

absolutely! I covered a outdated gold colored refridgerator with textured wallpaper and painted it to match my kitchen!
    • Fra22350876

do you treat formica the same way? and can the wall paper be wiped off ?

• Janice

what to do for cleaning grease and splashes from stove area and kitchen sink?
    • Christine clark

Better off with tin behind stove. Heat and water alone will make wallpaper come apart from the wall (that's been my past experience). Some wallpaper can be wiped down on occasion but not scrubbing.
    • Liz

We used a wood plank design wallpaper on our back splash, even behind the stove. We sealed it with 2 coats of acrylic polyurethane and it can be washed just fine.
  • Fra22350876

I would like to hear more about the look alike subway tiles?

• Joanne Clinger Hamm

We have used this wallpaper in the past in the bathroom, but when we went to get some more for another project our Lowes said they were doing away with it. Did you have to special order it?
    • Amy

No, I bought it back in january. I wonder why they would do away with it?
    • Pat O'Donnell

They will order for you online
  • Ritajoy

Is it water proof?
  • Lisa Ruberto Wilson

Not sure what you mean when you say you folded it. Could you privide a little more instruction? Are you then unfolding it? I'm sorry-I feel silly that I can't follow. :)
    • Lisa Ruberto Wilson

Never mind-I see the answer was provided to the same previously asked question. Thanks!! Can't wait to try this
    • Amy

Glad you found the answer!! I was told it's called binding. Good luck!
  • Ardale

Do you plan to paint your paper? I did about 10 years ago to my walls between my cabinets and countertops but my paper is in a pattern that looks like a textured wall sort of like a fine crinkle texture. Once dry I painted it to match my other walls in the kitchen. I will share something that will help others know which paper to get if they plan to do this. Always buy the paper that looks and feels like it's done with puff paint on the raised areas and not the paper that is just embossed. You can tell by feel as well as by looking on the back side of the paper. If it's flat and smooth on the back you've got the right paper if it's embossed the back side will look like a reverse of the front side. Shy away from the embossed paper because it is not only harder to hang since it stretches easily once wet, the paper is thinner and can tear easier and the surface is paper which doesn't hold up to being washed or handled. I still recommend painting the puffy paper especially if you use it in an area where you will be washing it or have high humidity. Mine looks as good today as it did the day I put in up and I've had many compliments on how it looks. One more thing since it is paper even if it's the good stuff and is painted you can still knock dings in it if hit with something or you poke your fingernails in it washing it but being gentle it will last many years. I just wash mine with a soft rag soaked and wrung out with dawn and water then air dry.
    • Paula Pittinger McNeely

great! thx for the tip!!
    • Diena Cameron

Ardale, thanks for the great tips !
      Amy, your walls look beautiful ! I can hardly believe that Lowes has $14.00 a roll wallpaper !! I hate to tell anyonè what i paid for mine. If i had only known .) Just in case i am in the market for more, i know where i will be going .) Thanks for the great tips !
    • Ardale

Amy I love your canisters, do you mind me asking where you got them? Diena don't feel bad I paid more for my wallpaper too but sometimes you pay for what you get as well! I even hung that same patterned wallpaper as Amy has in her kitchen on my dining room ceiling and trimmed it with a nice smaller wood trim leaving about a 6 inch border without paper between that trim and the crown molding around the ceiling and painted that 6 inch border blue to match my curtains and knick knacks in that room. I also painted my ceiling (wallpaper) white once the glue and paper dried a day or two. I did my ceiling way back in 1994 and it still looks as good today as the day I got it up. I've painted that ceiling twice since hanging the paper on it but in truth since we are both smokers (I know my bad) it could use a fresh coat of paint one of these days. To hang wallpaper on a ceiling you will need at least one helper because it's nearly impossible to hang it by yourself, position and smooth it out. But it is so worth doing and makes a beautiful ceiling. I've had no problems with it coming loose or peeling off but I always use a good wallpaper paste rather then soaking my wallpaper in water even when the paper says to soak it. I've also found at least for me since I generally have to do all my wallpaper hanging by myself I just put my paste in a paint tray and roll it on my wall in strips as wide as the paper section I'm hanging and smoothing out. I do each strip like this and be sure to take a little seam roller and smooth out your seams one strip (behind you) as you go. Always use a sharp disposable razor knife and break it off to expose a new blade when you feel it's getting dull. Otherwise you will ruin a whole section when your blade is dull and tears your paper. Your first row has to be level and straight or your paper will end up being at a slant by the time you get halfway around your room. Butt your joints as close as you can and I like to overlap my corners about 1 1/2 inch because wallpaper will shrink over time and with the season changes in humidity and dryness. Don't be afraid, wallpaper is so easy to do and makes such a dramatic effect anywhere you put it. Hope this further helps anyone out there that would like to hang wallpaper but is afraid to try it. Be sure to smooth out any air pockets as you go. I use an automotive bondo squeegee thing to smooth mine out with because it's plastic and rubbery feeling (not hard plastic) and it doesn't tear the wallpaper like a hard credit card might if not careful. You can pick one of those up at any automotive place pretty cheaply. If you new to hanging wallpaper maybe you should start off with using it on small areas in your home like your backsplash, or under or above your wainscoting or just use a border wallpaper to get the hang of it.
  • Vividly50

what did you use for the border behind the sink?
    • Jill Ron Pike

It looks like she butted the edge of the paper against the top of the splashguard, then used clear caulk over it.
    • Vividly50

thank you ! looks like i need to get a splashguard! have a good night
  • Susan Diaz Bornn

Have you had to clean it yet? Was wondering if you put something like Mod Podge over it if it would help?
    • Amy

I had to clean it when my daughter got cherry juice on it. I used a wet cloth and whiped it off. THis is a temporary back splash for us until we can select and pay for the real thing.
    • Mandy

To easily clean, you can paint with any flat, satin or gloss paint. Graham brown.com has wonder great selection of embossed wallpaper and Angie’s List has some painting tips.
    • Linda Sikut

You can seal it, if you want, but I had wallpaper in every room in my house back when it was popular (it's B A C K now). I never had a problem cleaning it but I used good wallpaper not cheap stuff. It will tell you on the package if it's washable. If it's not, you can always seal it with a poly sealer of your choice.
  • Abu21913013

Can this method be removed easily, is it becomes a necessity?

• Amy

I am not sure. But I hope so.
    • Rita La Rosa

If you use sizing on the wall before you apply the wallpaper, it is lots easier to remove.
    • Connie Leathers

That type of wallpaper is strippable. Relatively easy removal unless it is on an unprimed unpainted drywall.
  • Deb4913498

How is this to clean
    • Sonia Wolfe

I've had the wall covering in my kitchen for around 15 years!! I painted it an antique white, with only minor touch ups. It cleans super easily with soap and water. Wiping it off as soon as you see a splatter helps.
    • Colleen Goodwin Vogel

Deb - I'm from Dansville, NY! I did the same thing on a small wall; but the instructions said to put several poly coats on top of it, which I did. Everything wipes with a damp cloth, including spaghetti sauce!
    • Linda Windley

could this go over tiles already on the back splash??

• Judy Sakai

Colleen, what did you use to distress the paper? It is beautiful and looks like worn tin, which is what I want to do above my stove. thanks!
    • Debby

I used this on my ceiling in my bathroom. First painted bright kelly green.....then copper glaze. You can poly coat over the paint and/or glaze. It's been there for years!
    • Lbrewer

Would love to see a pic of the green ceiling!
    • Lorraine Gibb

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I hink Debby covered the green with a copper glaze, presumably so it has an aged, oxidized copper look rather than a shiny "new copper" appearance.
    • Lorraine Gibb

I have done this in the past on some galvanized metal items (a watering can, etc.) to give them the look of well-worn copper that matched my decor better than the grey galvinized color.
    • Linda Sikut

@Linda Windley Maybe, Putting wallpaper over ceramic tile is not ideal because the grout lines will show and it won't stick properly. However, it can be done but not always with the best results. https://www.hunker.com/13412952/how-to-put-wallpaper-over-ceramic-tile
  • Jrh22818869

Why do you fold it after soaking?
  • Pch27407666

so this booking----are u just folding it in half so the glue is touching . Not clear on this. I rent an apt. & we're not allowed to do many diff. things , but this project will be on my to do list. IT'S BEAUTIFUL . EASY, AN INEXPEMSIVE.
    THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR SUCH A NICE IDEA. Where did this come from? Do u have more ????
     Patricia---Ft Mill, SC

• Carolee

usually for a full wall, after putting on wallpaper glue (or wetting if precluded), fold the bottom half up to the middle of the length. This will be glued side to glued side. Then fold the top one half down to the middle. It is now easy to pick up and unfold the top and put it on wall. You now have the folded bottom part hanging down. Once the top is smooth and positioned the way you want, you can unfold the bottom and apply the same way.
    • Gypsy

Patricia This may not be a good idea for rental as wallpaper does not always come off without damage. But if you do try this steam it off when it’s time to move and you should be ok.
    • Mona Zaky

The owner may like the idea, ask them.
    • Laura

Patricia, They make removable wall paper. I don’t know if they have this specific design. You could research online.
    • Debbs

Look up "Starched Fabric Wall". This is a BEST wall covering for rentals. It literally is fabric that uses liquid starch from the laundry aisle to adhere it to the wall. When you are a commitment phobe with décor, change your look from season to season, just need a little splash of color or are moving out of your rented space…all you have to do is peel it off and wash the starch residue off the wall with no damage to paint or wall. Christopher Lowell was my favorite in the 2000’s and that is where I learned this method. I did it with a light weight cotton/poly blend in a bedroom with wood paneling and it worked great. The plus is that those fabrics are inexpensive.
  • JaBro

I love this idea! Do you think you could paint the wall paper with metallic paint?
    • JaBro

Sorry. I saw the answer below. Now I’m on my way to buy the wallpaper. Great idea!

• Anne Zellner Pettijohn

I actually used this very same wallpaper on the “picture” part of my builder-grade cabinet doors, to give visual interest. We used Rustoleum brand hammered tin spray paint and I couldn’t have been more pleased! It held up VERY well with this brand metallic paint!
    • Rjc

whoaa great idea, paint it for an even more antiqued look!
    • Vicki Hough

also after the metallic paint is applied, use some varathane or sealer if you have it behind a sink or stove and it will clean up really well
    • Luci McMullen

I would use any metal paint and then lightly sand the paper to make it look old. I would use copper paint.
  • Tammy

How did the end look?

• Linda Strickland

Loved it
    • Becky

Add an answer
    • Becky

I used Anaglypta wallpaper in my dining room. It is painted and we love it. I also used a different pattern below the trim molding at the top of my entry hall. We painted it white and then lightly rubbed it with brown stain. It is gorgeous. Give it a try ladies. You'll love it.
  • Peggy Burnette

looks great, is it washable?

• Kristin

I have been trying to talk my husband in to doing this forever, and he doesn't think it will hold up to wiping off in the kitchen. Have you had this up for any length of time? I already have the paper because we used it for a great ceiling treatment in our last house.
    • Lela Ek

Painted mine with 3 coats of metallic copper paint 5 years ago. Haven't had to wash it yet. Holding up very well.
    • Amy

I have had it up since January and I haven't painted mine yet. I need to but its holding up well.
    • Kristin

Thank you! Copper is the color I'd be using too :)
    • Susan Snyder

Ooohhh!! Ladies, you had me at “copper”! I only have a small area behind my stove; too small for the paper to have much of an impact. But a faux tin CEILING in copper would be awesome in my kitchen. Or maybe even in my craft room! Hmmm...the wheels are turning 🤔
    • Mallory

Love it! I used bead board, but I'd love to try your idea on my ceilings. However, my ceilings have that awful popcorn texture. Experiences or ideas anyone? 😊
  • Charlotte Lovell

I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing, but worry about wiping away stains and grease. How does it hold up to that?
    • Amy

I have a high back stove and there is only a small amount of the wallpaper showing. I havent had any problems.
    • Lisa Terry Hann

You can paint it with washable paint.

• Holly

plus the steam issue from cooking. It would defo not last

• Momama

Do you think this could be applied to tile? Also would it pass an inspection? For example, would it be considered a fire hazard by the stove?
    • Susan Snyder

Don’t worry about it passing inspection because it won’t BE inspected. It’s not something any inspector looks at. I used to work for my local township building inspector & code enforcement dept and I can tell you this: as long as the wallpaper doesn’t infringe on the safe use of any electrical outlets, they won’t even give it a second glance. Same with private home inspectors who check out homes for prospective buyers. (My hubby is in that industry.)
    • Momama

Thank you!!
  • Kay Mullinix

How easy is to clean if splattered especially behind the stove
    • Amy

I have a high back stove so i have yet to encounter this issue.
    • Judypatoodie

As long as this Anaglypta (paintable) wallpaper has been painted with a semigloss of gloss paint, it is washsble like you'd wash a painted wall.
  • Jessica Moore

Is it easy to clean?
    • Amy

I have found its fairly easy to clean with damp cloth.
  • Sondra Cook

Can you do this if the wall is tiled?
  • Connie Mart

How do you fold it? With the pattern in the middle?
  • Jeanie Holton Burchfield

I love the wallpaper that is used in this project and want to do it on my backsplash but went to our Lowes in Waynesville, NC and they don't carry it anymore. I have looked for it under textured wallpapers and cannot find it. Do you know of anyone else who might carry this particular pattern textured wallpaper.

• Amy

Have you tried Amazon?

• Gina

Wallpaperin stock

• Jeanie Holton Burchfield

Gina, Is Wallpaperin Stock a company?

• Sie15374439

Jeanie you can find textured wallpaper on both Amazon and Ebay. Check it out.

• Jeanie Holton Burchfield

thank you Sienna 404. I have looked in both places but still have not found this exact pattern. If I knew who made it I might get lucky. Thank you again for answering!

• Crystal

Home Depot and Menards both sell paintable wallpaper. I’m not 100% sure but I think the brand Lowe’s carries is Graham&Brown.

• Robin Schultz

I think Wayfair may have it!

• Mary M

Home Depot had some. May not have that exact design though.

• EsMe Escobedo

Wallpaper warehouse online has it.

• Amazing Grace !

I would look at Lowes.com or Homedepot.com or even Walmart.com. These sites carry way more product than the stores. I absolutely LOVE this idea! I wish I had seen this before I did my backsplash. Going to post that now. Heading will be "2" faux blind backsplash"

• Sha14061240

Jeanie, I wanted a special ceiling fan from Lowes but they said they no longer carried it. I found it on line (Lowes) but it said to buy it from "your local Lowes." Went back to Lowes and they made a special order for me. I'm happy. You might be able to do the same with the wall paper.

• Deborah Alessio Cassidy

I love the back splash. Does the color of the wall come out a little as long as you don't paint the paper?

• Amy

Once the paper dried and adher to the wall, it did not have the paint color come through.

• Susan Chambrone

How do you keep it from getting wet or splattered on?

• Li

That would be a valid concern. I always paint that wallpaper, even if just the exact same color as the paper - usually white or slightly offwhite. The 'expanded vinyl' that causes the texture feels much like a sponge, it will absorb odors and stains. Much smarter to at least paint it white so it can be wiped down as necessary in a kitchen. A friend applied expanded vinyl wallpaper in her kitchen, the beadboard style gave it a lovely cottage look. Sadly she did not paint hers. After splatters caused discoloration she had to prime it twice with Kilz and then paint it twice with white paint. All that could have been eliminated with one simple coat of paint 24 hours after the wallpaper was installed.

• Frema Byrd

When it is painted with a high quality enamel, it only requires wiping just like any painted wall. I have used this in the bead board design.

• Debbie Rimmel

I already have 4’ tile on the wall & I can’t take it down. No help. Can I put this right over it? I know you can paint old tile but why not wallpaper it?

• Amy

I think you can because I have seen it done. But best to look at the instructions on the wallpaper itself.

• Vicki Robinson-Fair

Did you wallpaper the time yet? They did this to some of our tiles in the bathroom of the house we bought a few years ago. I thought it was beaitiful. Hubby didn't like it because it had a floral print lol.

• Debbie Rimmel

What does hubbys know. LOL!! No haven’t gotten to it yet. Who knows if I’ll ever get to it. I’ve got the peel & stick on the floor that is spreading apart making it look like a large grout line in some areas. I can’t afford new floor so we’re trying to figure that out. Any ideas???

• Joyce Combs Hull

Is this paper removal? I want to cover a mirror back splash in an rental apartment and must remove it when I leave/

• Frema Byrd

Yes, the wallpaper is removable from your mirror, it would take some work to remove the dried glue from the mirror but it can be done. You would need to use a single edge razor blade to carefully scrape of what glue does not come off with soap and water.

• Jenn Gates MacKinnon

I would think so

• Diane Cornman-Jones

Instead of using wallpaper I used contact paper. They make wonderful styles. Easy to peel off when leaving, no residue. Just clean mirror as you normally would.

• Jody

Back in the dark ages contact paper used to be pretty permanent- unless you wanted it to be permanent  . We used to used fabric and glued it on with liquid fabric starch. We used freezer paper to make the pattern, then used that to cut the fabric to the size and shape. Then saturate with liquid fabric starch. I have no idea if the spray stuff works for this. But you take your damp fabric and start sticking it to the wal, the mirror, the refrigerator- whatever you wanted to cover. A small flat plastic scraper of some sort to smooth out the wrinkles and make sure your surface is smooth and evenly applied. While it’s wet you can pull back any raw edges and trim with sharp scissors and stick back onto the surface you’re covering. When you move, it all comes off. Just pull slowly so you’re not damaging the drywall and paint. Fabric used to be really cheap and people starched and ironed a lot. I love the textured paper shown in the article but not sure if you could get it off if you’re in a rental. BUT, being an army brat and college student, ive rented a lot. There’s no harm in asking the owner or manager about doing what you want. Ive made changes with the help of the manager that I left when I moved. Got all my deposit back. It’s worth a try. And check out the contact paper idea. The newer glues might be a lot friendlier.

• Dee

Actually, there is a really easy way to remove wallpaper. There is a product called DIF. You can find it at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's a concentrate that you mix with (hot) water. You score the paper to be removed LIGHTLY and spritz with the DIF mixture. Let sit a few minutes and peel. The residue wipes off easily with any clean rag and a little more DIF. I did an entire living room wallpaper removal in less than a half hour. I did cheat... I blew on the damp paper with a hair dryer and the paper practically peeled itself off the walls.

• Dianequi55i

are you going to use some type of paint or color technique for a splash of color.?

• Sue

At this point I'm not sure. Would look better I'm sure. Just don't know if it can be painted, then I can decide what exactly how to do.

• The Snarky Princess

I thought right away a copper paint would be super cool. Or a tin possible. Love it!

• Carol Jackson

It is paintable.

• Susanmbelcourt

it is paintable. I did a whole wall 15 years ago and it still looks fab.

• Memoore

Did you seal it? If so, with what? Even if you don't paint it I would think you have to seal it.

• Amy

I didn’t seal it but I plan to paint it next weekend. And yes I will seal it. Thank you!

• The Snarky Princess

What kind of seal will you be using once you paint it

• Marita B. Paparelli

I would suggest coats of polyurethane might work... possibly a satin or non-gloss type but might make it harder to remove in the future.

• Tina Evans

I'd suggest you consider a thin piece of plexiglass or Lexan installed behind the stove to help prevent grease/cooking splatters hitting the wallpaper. Makes for a much easier cleanup....

• Bijous

Hi. It does need to be sealed. While it has a thin coating on it (the old style did not), one or two clean ups and the coating is gone.

• Dan Lawson

is this 3 dimensional? it looks raised

• Bijous

Hi Dan. It is. It a thicker wallpaper and as I understand it, it was originally designed for plaster walls to hide the cracks.

• Anita

When you fold it, do you put the glue sides together? Or right sides together? I really like this and want to do it to my kitchen.

• RUTH WAINOHU

can you tell me the best way to put back splash over brick, or should i just use tiles,

• Unfortunately not advisable. You need to remove the brick first, then install backsplash of your dreams.

• Vicki L

Why not splotch paint your brick with white and being paint and use a sponge in random dotting. Turn your hand a different way holding the sponge with paint on it.

• Vicki L

White and beige paint, not 'being'.

• Pam

you could put this wall paper on brick if you primed the brick first , let dry. and the apply texture wall paper, and use wall paper paste , the pre pasted paper won't stick well to brick.

you could also prime and paint brick and let the natural texture of the brick show thru

• Carmen Malkowski

Don’t ruin you brick better to paint it

• Sewstar

They make lining paper to put directly on the brick and then you could put whatever decorative paper you wanted over it. If you decided later that you wanted a different look, you can remove the paper (probably have to soak it off) amd you would be right back where you started.

• Stevie Johnson

Backsplash is the area, not the materials used to cover it. You had me confused for a minute:) Unless your brick is super flat w/ little to no indentation in the grout lines, I think to use any sort of paper, even w/ the liner is asking for trouble. The only exception I can see would be to skim coat over the brick w/ concrete, plaster or joint compound to get a much more level surface first. Joint compound easiest to work w/ but will take at least 2 coats. The first applied thickly will crack & take at least overnight to set up. The second to fill the cracks & hopefully be flat or reasonably so. Then a sanding to level it more & take off any bumps. Just 2 coats assumes those grout lines aren't so deep your filling material will sag. If it does, you will have to wipe it off while still wet & just fill them partway, do another coat after it sets up & then, MAYBE, you can do your finish coat. Floating while your fill material is not completely dry but firm enough to not get damaged is faster & easier than sanding, but you need a bit of skill to do it well. Sanding is slower & for a beginner less likely to cause you more work. Remember: If you can feel a bump or an indentation, you can see it after you paint or apply wallcovering. Sand, fill any spots that need it. Sand again. Feel again. Repeat as necessary. on & around those spots. Once you get the wall smooth & flat enough, prime your filled area. Twice. Allowing the primer to dry completely between coats. It makes your paper stick better, but also makes it easier to remove w/o damaging the wall when you get ready for a change.

• Tim

This is wall paper, correct? I foresee a lot of oil splatters soaking into the "paper" and spotting (and thus ruining) this project within a short time.

• Marsha

most paintable wallpaper is vinyl, so easy to clean.

• Amy

I’ve had it for a year and so far so good.

• Brenda

The nice thing about this paper is that after it is installed, you can paint it any color you like with a stain resistant paint. I would use a semigloss or a satin paint on it.

• Annette Beaudin

Get the plastic coated paper.

• Robin Smith Calhoun

You can paint the paper putting a couple of coats of paint and it should be wipeable after that. I would put a clear acrylic backslash behind the stove top.

• Liz Weiss

I did this 6 year's ago and we are doing fine. We painted the paper with an oil based paint. This paper is suppose to be painted. Works great.

• Nancy Polka

I did this in a previous house and painted it with oil-based semi-gloss (which is considered washable once dried and cured - just a couple of days depending on the humidity where you live). I've even splattered tomato sauce on it - it wiped right up but if you're really worried you could always put up a thin sheet of metal right above the stove and do the wall paper on the rest of your backsplash.

• Carol Black

L( in.

• Jessica

Put a backsplash behind sink and stove.its a beautiful accent, for a full or half wall. Maybe above table.Thats where I have wallpaper.

• Stevie Johnson

A spatter screen over any frying pan will eliminate most spatters. If one sneaks by the screen, the worst that happens is she will need to paint. No good substitute for an oil-based paint in my opinion. It can be purchased in several choices as to gloss or shine. Painting will make paper more difficult to remove. About the only drawback I can think of, though.

• Sharon moore

I put wallpaper behind sink and stove and then used plexiglass over wallpaper. Easy to keep clean, was extra step and added expense but well worth it.

• Mary Anne

I did this many years ago. I put several layers of high gloss paint over the wallpaper and it is really scrubable. Nothing sticks to it...just wipe with a damp cloth and it cleans up in seconds. Still looks wonderful!

• Arlene

Nothing that a dealer can't cute.

• Shannon Smith

I wonder how it would work if you put a matte finish polyurethane over it? It would prevent spotting and grease soaking I think. What's your thoughts on it?

• Shawna Kittinger

Do you remember the name that made the wallpaper because when I push the link it sends me to a different design then what's on yours and I want that exact design you have

• Amy

I looked for about an hour last night online. I bought it from Lowes almost two years ago and had heard they stopped selling that particular one. Im not sure how the link is now going to an amazon wallpaper. Ill keep looking:)

• Wendi Walker

Wallpaperdirect.com has everything you need plus tons of paintable wallpapers like the one in this project! You can even order samples for FREE. I'm not an employee or paid cheerleader, just a happy customer!

• Vanessa

Did you seal to prevent staining from splashes

• Shawna Kittinger

I found out that allen and roth makes it and it's called squares. I can only find 1 roll on the WHOLE internet!!!! It is discontinued and must have been really popular! I guess I'm just gonna have to find another pattern that I like.. 😔

• Amy

Oh bummer! There were some very similar ones at Lowes website.

• Janice NDon Davidson

This makes me happy. I found this same paper at Lowes on clarence years ago, for just a few $. I painted it with a satin Kitchen and bath premium latex paint. It has been up for 5 years and it looks as fresh and clean as the day I completed.