Upcycling a Vintage Hutch Into 2 New Pieces

$40
Advanced

I repainted a vintage hutch....nobody, and especially anyone with a new home wanted this HUGE 7ft tall and 6.5ft wide cabinet, what is a creative gal to do....
She was a gorgeous but HUGE (7ft tall and 6.5ft wide) Vintage Hutch and no one could fit her in their space... painted in a dreamy cream and a scroll paper over the back mirror to bring her up to date, and with a slight distress to finish it off.
Being creative and all, I decided to split the cabinet up. I took the top of the hutch and added some legs, then I added......and by added I mean I wrestled some chicken wire and added it to the doors. BAM a new elegant bookshelf!
I love that the chicken wire still keeps with the elegant vibe and you can also still see the beautiful scroll paper backing. I can't wait to see it full of books!
I got creative with the bottom. I stained the top with some java gel stain in a rich brown, then added a french script stamp to the door fronts. It was definitely it's own buffet now OR a new TV stand OR a double vanity OR....
I am a total sucker for typography!! Thanks for stopping by!

• Chicken wire, table legs  (home depot)
  • Stain  (home depot)

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Ava Blake Creations

• Mary Case
    Mary Case

I have been looking for you! I want something similar for a "pantry" in my newly refinished kitchen. It needs to be slightly less narrow than the hutch you show here, 48 to 52 inches wide. Depth for the bottom, ideally is 15" and for the top, slightly less. I want to mount the top on the wall, so it needs to have a very strong back. Also, I don't care if the top and bottom are dis-similar. I figure to paint the thing the same color as the kitchen cabinets, which will make it blend, but still act as the transition I am hoping to achieve. Could you take up such a project on my behalf? I live in Washington DC 20003.

• Jmh28979738
    Jmh28979738

I love the outcome! Such a great way to reuse an old piece with memories but no place to put it as is! I finally sold an secretary from my parents estate for almost nothing. Now I wish I had it back! Both pieces are so elegant. I can just see that secretary made into two pieces like you did yours. Thank you for sharing your creative genius with us!
  • Mary
    Mary

Stunning