What do you do with an old Display Shelf?

+12
We had an old display shelf or knick knack shelf (whatever you want to call it) that we were storing. I was sick of having it just collect dust, and I used it as a centerpiece above the bed now in our guest room. I decided to paint it, distress it, hang it at a different angle, and use some color and dried flowers in it instead of a knick knack holder. You can see the full tutorial of how I did it over here: http://wp.me/pUbK5-vl5

I'm very curious though what you all have done or what you would do with a display shelf like this one.
e what do you do with an old display shelf, shelving ideas
  • Eliz Eliz on Jan 25, 2017
    make sure all squares are open to the back, then build a lil wooden frame to extend the shelf unit out about 1/2 to 3/4 inch ....paint it all white to match. Attach metal hangers to the top and the two sides..then put a small fairy light set in the back ....hiding the battery system to the side or leave a space in the back for the power cord to hang down and/or be connected to a power source..then attach a frosted peice of glass to the front ......to personalize it, make frost designs in the glass to fit the square..then turn it on voila a wall light.the lighting in the back will shine thru all squares at once

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 26, 2017
    By turning it on an angle, you gave it an entirely new look! I love your new use for it!! I am always looking for a nice display shelf to display my favorite chatckes from when I was a kid, I'd love to hang it as decor/nostalgia in our guest bedroom

• Cheryl Markus Reynolds Cheryl Markus Reynolds on Jan 26, 2017
    I love your idea. I had a smaller one that was collecting dust. I added a back to it and put it in a drawer. I use it to ororganize my small craft items like beads, buttons and such.

• Maura White Maura White on Jan 26, 2017
    GENIUS!!!

• Libby Libby on Feb 02, 2017
    Like the frosted glass inserts Eliz from Canada suggested. I was going to suggest mirrored inserts cut to fit. Perhaps a combo of the two?!
    I'm a fan of a bit of bling added here and there for giving new life.
    Dust continues to be an issue though.
    My handyman would say - "I can have glass cut to fit over that".... i have to admit- it's easier to wipe glass than every nook and cranny. (He's making an enclosure for a custom built in display unit. I balked for a while, but truth is, I'm lazy these days).

• Libby Libby on Feb 02, 2017
    PS.... Like what you did with the piece -- you revived it!

• Cheryl Cheryl on Feb 13, 2017
    I had something very much like this only a little larger. I had a high ceiling in my kitchen so I put screw hooks in it and hung it with a decorative chain from my kitchen ceiling and hung up my pots and pans.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Feb 22, 2017
    I'm in love  With a piece of furniture. And proud of it!

• V Valencia V Valencia on Feb 22, 2017
    You could try a contemporary look by painting it black and framing b/w photos in the four larger squares.