Debbie Boltz
Debbie Boltz
  • Waterloo, IA

Sock Snow People

I know these are all over the internet but here are the snow people I made. The only thing I had to buy was two bags (3# each) of rice and the map pins. Everything else I already had! I decided to put the inside of the sock on the outside for a more textured look. All the hats are made from old thermal socks of my husband except for the baby blue one. Most are made with the toe part of the sock cutting up further so you can make a roll for the band. The Packer one is made with the top part of the sock. I used the band off a sleeve to create the yellow band. The infinity scarf is made by cutting a strip off the whole sock and stretching it. It rolls up into a tube and I wrapped it around the neck. I made tassels with embroidery floss. I used my blush and a Q-Tip for the cheeks. I like the pink cheeks. It just adds a little something. Ok this is a brief explanation of how I made these:1) Cut the toe end off a tube sock and rubber band the end tightly. Turn sock inside out (the rubber band will now be inside) 2) Fill the sock with rice. The easiest way is to put rice in a glass and pull the open end of the sock over the rim of the glass and pour in. I used appr. 1 1/2 lbs. of rice in each. Rubber band the top tightly and cut off the excess sock. 3) Use your hands and form the rice to make a head shape and rubber band this spot. 4) Now it is time to dress your snowman! What I did for the three back ones was to cut the toe end off a thermal sock of my husbands. I rolled the cut end two times and just the toe color showed while the inside fuzzy part of the sock made the band. (yes those were the color of the socks). To make the fuzzy ball on the top of the red hat I just cut a slice off the rest of the sock and stretched it. It rolls into a tube shape. I then just folded it over again and again, tied it tight in one spot and cut all the loops and fluff it. The Packer hat was made with the top part of the sock. The band of the sock makes the hat. I cut it rounded and turned it inside out, glued the seam, turned it back around and you have a hat! Because the sock didn't have a yellow band I cut the band of a sleeve of a polo shirt and glued it to the rim. 5) Use map pins ( I got mine at Hobby Lobby) to make the eyes and nose. I just put some of my blush on a Q-Tip and rubbed it on the cheek area. Well I hope this helps everyone.
These are all of my Snow People.
These are all of my Snow People.
This one I made for my mother-in-law who is Packer fan. His hat is made from the band of my husbands old thermal sock and the band from an old shirt. A little hot glue is all it took. Actually anything is all cut from an old shirt.
This one I decided to make an Infinity scarf. Here again the hat is from  the toe of a sock and rolled to expose the inside of the sock.
This one I decided to make an Infinity scarf. Here again the hat is from the toe of a sock and rolled to expose the inside of the sock.
This scarf is from my old pj's. The hat is also from the toe of a sock. I used the pj's to make the tassel also.
This hat and scarf were from a piece of scrap flannel I had. The tassel is embrodery floss.
The scarf is a strip of the sock cut off, stretched and tied on. I added the red stripes with embrodery floss.The tassels are also embrodery floss while the hat is the toe part of an insulated sock.

• Gayle Curtis Moore

You said you included additional information and a pattern but I don't find one... Where is it?????

• Sandy Hackworth Boyd

@Gayle Curtis Moore These little sock snowmen are all over the internet. Go to youtube or pinterest and type in sock snowman. I've made about 40 of them in the last month, but mine are a little different. Debbie, you did a great job! So cute!

• Debbie Boltz

@Gayle Curtis Moore » I know these are all over the internet but here are the snow people I made. The only thing I had to buy was two bags (3# each) of rice and the map pins. Everything else I already had! I decided to put the inside of the sock on the outside for a more textured look. All the hats are made from old thermal socks of my husband except for the baby blue one. Most are made with the toe part of the sock cutting up further so you can make a roll for the band. The Packer one is made with the top part of the sock. I used the band off a sleeve to create the yellow band. The infinity scarf is made by cutting a strip off the whole sock and stretching it. It rolls up into a tube and I wrapped it around the neck. I made tassels with embroidery floss. I used my blush and a Q-Tip for the cheeks. I like the pink cheeks. It just adds a little something. Ok this is a brief explanation of how I made these:1) Cut the toe end off a tube sock and rubber band the end tightly. Turn sock inside out (the rubber band will now be inside) 2) Fill the sock with rice. The easiest way is to put rice in a glass and pull the open end of the sock over the rim of the glass and pour in. I used appr. 1 1/2 lbs. of rice in each. Rubber band the top tightly and cut off the excess sock. 3) Use your hands and form the rice to make a head shape and rubber band this spot. 4) Now it is time to dress your snowman! What I did for the three back ones was to cut the toe end off a thermal sock of my husbands. I rolled the cut end two times and just the toe color showed while the inside fuzzy part of the sock made the band. (yes those were the color of the socks). To make the fuzzy ball on the top of the red hat I just cut a slice off the rest of the sock and stretched it. It rolls into a tube shape. I then just folded it over again and again, tied it tight in one spot and cut all the loops and fluff it. The Packer hat was made with the top part of the sock. The band of the sock makes the hat. I cut it rounded and turned it inside out, glued the seam, turned it back around and you have a hat! Because the sock didn't have a yellow band I cut the band of a sleeve of a polo shirt and glued it to the rim. 5) Use map pins ( I got mine at Hobby Lobby) to make the eyes and nose. I just put some of my blush on a Q-Tip and rubbed it on the cheek area.

• Nancee Barnett

Instead of rice, I use kitty litter (new and clean)  or play sand. Much cheaper and doesn't get buggy.
  • Mona

How much rice did you use for each snowman? And how did you get the snowman body shape to stay that way?

• Debbie Boltz

You can add as much or as little as you like. Before you put the rubber band on you shape a head and then tweek it after you put the rubber band on.

• Pauletta Sanders

Did you glue the map pins to secure them?

• Debbie Boltz

Yes I just put a drop of Elmer's glue just to be safe.

• Jewellmartin

I would glue the hats and scarves on, too. These are more than adorable. I love the way some were personalized to make them unique. 😇💞
  • Lin21841849

What did you use to do the rosey cheeks?

• Zrinka Zadravec

Hi Debbie, from the con's above I presume that your snowman fam. should be much bigger by now :)
    Just wanted to tell you they are very cute and that you gave me inspirations about recycling old clothes :) Thanks!! One big nice regard from foggy Zagreb, Croatia :) bye Zrinka
  • Ang32047687

Absolutely the cutest sock snowmen! Thanks for sharing