DIY OUTDOOR RUG

Why are outdoor rugs so expensive? I knew I’d want to find a DIY outdoor rug solution. After some smart shopping and lots of thinking, I figured out how to get a pretty rug for under $25.

First, let’s take a look at the rug that inspired my DIY outdoor rug project. This pattern from Zinc Door was right up my alley – however the $358 price tag was not!

This rug, however, was $20 at my local Walmart. Yes, Walmart! I started by tracing my bowl four times in a square pattern, with the edges touching.

I started by tracing my bowl four times in a square pattern, with the edges touching.

Next, I used the scissors to cut out the pattern, just going right to where the circles meet on the outside, think like a four leaf clover.

Next measure your rug and place the pattern in the center. Using cheap – NOT DUSTLESS – chalk, trace around the pattern, then move it to the right and left, making a whole line all the way across the rug. Use the bowl to put water in to soak your chalk, because dry chalk won’t show up well – but wet chalk does. It will take a lot of chalk, so be sure to have 5-6 sticks to be sure you have enough.

Then, using your brush, paint right over the lines, I used my brush as the width guide. It won’t be perfect – but that’s ok, it just adds charm! Use the bristles to kind of work the paint into the rug a bit so it will be a fairly solid line.

I traced a line, painted it, traced a line, painted it, over and over until I was finished. You’ll probably have chalk smudges, but a vacuum will clean it right up after all your paint is dry.

Two hours of work and about $25 in supplies gave me the look I wanted for an outdoor rug without breaking the bank. (Edited to add: I get a lot of questions about how the outdoor rug is holding up – and after two years it still looks great!)

• Scrap cardboard from an old box
  • Cereal Bowl with water in it
  • Chalk

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Gina @ The Shabby Creek Cottage

• Joanie

Is your rug and furniture under a covered porch??
  • Kathy

Obviously it is going to get wet then so what type of carpet is it? Do you pull it up. When it rains? I would think it would be ruined with rain. How do you dry it out?

• Sandra

What makes this an “outdoor” rug? I’m only asking bc I have rugs from Walmart and such and I never put them outside.

• Teressa Hargrove

Love it!

• Claire

Our kids decided it was time, so they sold our house and bought us a condo which has a 6 1/2 wide by 20 feet long and I decided to try to buy multiple outdoor rugs would be really awkward and perhaps dangerous across the space (for older people) and I saw some cut-to-order outdoor carpet at Home Depot that would be safe but a boring tan. With your creativity example, I think I have the boring aspect well in hand, thanks to you. I'm not original, so I will just copy your amazing creation!! Thanks so much, from an 81-year old fan of yours. I think I can manage your idea.....