Kelleysgirl
Kelleysgirl
  • Friendswood, TX

Faux Wood Sign

I went to Hobby Lobby looking for some specific items, but ended up-as usual-buying something completely different.
faux wood sign, crafts
I found this adorable stencil that described me perfectly, so I had to have it. I had a tshirt in mind when I purchased it, but decided to make something else first after I got home.
I already had the wood-look paper and a canvas panel purchased previously. So I began making a sign.
faux wood sign, crafts
I have never worked with canvas before and knew you normally would prep it before painting, but I decided to try it out for this project without prepping it. I put a thick layer of glue from a glue stick on it and pressed the paper on.
faux wood sign, crafts
I folded the edges over and let dry overnight.
faux wood sign, crafts
I trimmed the edges and put a coat of mod podge on top. I saw some bubbling up that might have been prevented by priming the canvas first. I let it dry and pushed out as many as I could, but with the busy-ness of the paper I wasn't too worried about it. I also tore an edge, but thought it gave it character.
faux wood sign, crafts
I sprayed the back of my stencil with easy tac, let it sit 60 seconds, and placed on top
faux wood sign, crafts
I pounced with a semi-dry brush of thickened paint, straight up and down.
faux wood sign, crafts
And here is the finished product.
It turned out so cute!
Kelleysgirl