DIY Fluffy, Puffy, Coffee Filter Heart Wreath

If you’ve been poking around crafty/home decor blogs for a few years now, then you’ve probably seen about 100 variations of the coffee filter wreath. They’ve been a super popular craft for awhile, but really everyone and their dog was making them about 3 or 4 years ago. It’s almost become required crafting in the blog world. You can’t get your certificate of bloggyness without having made at least one.
diy fluffy puffy coffee filter heart wreath, crafts, painted furniture, wreaths
If you’ve never had the pleasure of making one of these. Here’s a look at how I made it.
[Hey! Looking for Valentine's Day traditions for the whole family?! Check this out!]
I cut a heart out of a piece of cardboard to start. Perfection isn’t necessary here because the whole thing eventually poofs out and takes on a life of its own.
The trick is, to fold the coffee filter just right! I folded mine in half, and then in half again to get the fullness I was looking for. I folded the point at the end of the coffee filter about 3/4" from the bottom to give me a little surface to stick down on the cardboard. The point folds should all be done at pretty much the same spot to keep the height of the coffee filter poof even across the whole wreath.
[Psst! Looking for the perfect Valentine's Day card?! Check out ten free printables, here!]
Have you made a coffee filter wreath before? If you’ve been putting it off like I have, you should go for it! It’s definitely one craft that gives you a lot of bang (and puffiness) for your buck!
You can see that even the sides fill in nicely and really cover the cardboard base, so there's no need to worry about that. Give a try the next time you're feeling crafty!

• Cardboard  (The Recycling Bin)
  • Coffee Filters  (Grocery Store)
  • Wide Ribbon  (Craft Store)
CreekLineHouse .

• Christina

How are u attaching filters to cardboard?

• Jeanne Martin

Ann - if it's because you burn your finger s (my problem with them!) I solved that problem by buying rubber tips for tour fingers. I would guess they are used by people that flip, or count, A LOT of pieces of paper using their fingers. But maybe not because I got mine in the sewing section of Walmart for just a couple of dollars (3 to a pack!). Mine are a lovely shade of bright blue. (They look like little condoms for the end of your finger! Lol!). I'm guessing Office Depot or Staples would have them also. I wear one on both my index fingers and both my thumbs. Haven't burned my fingers once since I got them! I've used them repeatedly and they continue to work great (no rips, tears or anything yet). If your problem is like mine you might want to try them.

• Dl.5660408

Did you have to glue the flowers on the edges in a different direction to keep the folds from showing? It came out so pretty

• CreekLineHouse .

Yes, if you make it full enough, it should sit right... But if you find it is sitting funny, you could just use a little bit of hot glue to tack it into the proper position! :)

• Gloria Vitolo Jacobs

Is thereany way to color the filters to get some color rather than just white? Maybe some watered-down food coloring and dip the tightly bunched filters? Might end up with an ombre or tie dyed effect, right?

• CreekLineHouse .

Hmm... this a great idea and great question! I think that I would try either of the above ideas suggested, for sure! I would maybe test each method on one or two coffee filters before doing them all, though! :)

• Lisa

Can someone please let me know if the filters get glued on in different directions? Thanks

• Robyn

I think you can. It just depends on the look your trying to create. My kids just glued them on any way they wanted, but i glued mine on all in one direction to create a more uniform look.

• Gail Porter Friend

That's funny about getting your crafting certificate ONLY after you make the coffee filter heart! I actually went to the head of the class when I made my coffee filter SNOWMAN! I did it the SAME way as the heart using cardboard cutout of a SNOWMAN. He's just adorable and I'm sorry he's put away and I can't post a pic of him! Btw, I tea died my coffee filters to get a really vintage look and lightly sprayed the coffee filters with vanilla room spray I had from Bath & Body works. (Spray from 5-6 inches away) Have fun....most of all!⛄