Tip: Can a Fresh Salad Bar Get Any Easier Than This?

+23
I came up with this idea by accident last spring. I removed a few slats from a pallet with the intent of putting it on the ground and filling with soil as I've seen on many diy sites. I had a bunch of recycle bins from work that someone tossed out. The lighbulb came on and I made this easy salad bar. All bins are interchangeable, I just start a new bin a few weeks after the original bin starts producing. This idea gave me fresh spinach and lettuce all season long.
What do ya think???
t can a fresh salad bar get any easier than this, outdoor living
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 27, 2017
    I love this idea!!! Pure brilliant!
  • JoLeen Bolton JoLeen Bolton on Jan 27, 2017
    I love that you have access to wonderful, fresh veggies without having to bend over or kneel to get them. This is such a good idea for those of us who are no longer able to do the gardening that we love to do but can't because of physical restrictions.
  • Bsk10703185 Bsk10703185 on Jan 29, 2017
    FOR ME I WAS THINKING OF USING PLALETTS ON LEGS OR CEMENT
  • PattieJune PattieJune on Jan 29, 2017
    FANTASTIC thank you

• Sandi Sandi on Jan 29, 2017
    did you put holes in the bottom of the trashcans for drainage?
    • See 1 previous
    • Trish F Trish F on Jan 31, 2017
      In a similar but a little different scenario I drill holes in the bottom of a large garbage can on wheels, line it with newspaper and add just a few rocks. The paper keeps the soil from running out and biodegrades back into the soil, and the rocks add a little weight but not so much that the can can’t be moved.
  • Genius! I am looking to do something similar, you saved me a bunch of head scratching! Plus the dogs will not be tramping thru my edibles. I lost my bowl of french thyme to the chihuahua, she loves to lay in it in the summer because it is in one of the cooler spots in my very hot back yard in the summer. At least she smells pretty! Had to start more in another location for human consumption. ☺
  • User User on Jan 31, 2017
    wish i could come up with this same principle for an indoor salad bar. any thoughts??? anyone .... please feel free to share :) :) :)
    • See 2 previous
    • Jeff Jeff on Feb 01, 2017
      I do an indoor micro greens garden. Pretty much the same principle, But I use cheap dollar store food storage bins and just add a light. I will try to remember to take pics when I get home.
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jan 31, 2017
    This is amazing!!!!!
    • See 1 previous
    • Lisa Gage Lisa Gage on Feb 05, 2017
      I have a great way to garden above the ground for all those who rent and don't have property to plant in. Last year called "Above the ground" Rebuilding and expanding for this season! Yea feed that family at home in California sunshine.
  • Jeff Jeff on Feb 01, 2017
     Thank you!
  • Gardengraz Gardengraz on Feb 01, 2017
    Great idea. I'm sure you get plenty of greens that way.

• Lisa Gage Lisa Gage on Feb 01, 2017
    Love this for my spring in California
  • User User on Feb 02, 2017
    thanks ... anxiously waiting to see
  • Lyn Buerger Lyn Buerger on Feb 02, 2017
    Thanks Jeff. Ive done every gardening trick (I thought) Have done in ground backyard with all the normal problems, flower beds, raised cinder block areas, raised wood barriers, platform structures and this winter I bought a stack of new plastic trashcans at an auction, with plans to use them for my garden this next summer. I may incorporate them into my platform area because it is raised and 2 layers tall and would be easy to adjust.
    I have been collecting some tall plastic soda bottles which I plan to cut off the bottoms and stick them into the soil so I can water through the bottle to feed the plants. The way my platform is set up the top layer will water the bottom layer also. Hope it works as I plan and looking forward to more fresh vine ripe tomatoes, peppers, etc again this year. I use basil in my garden to keep away the bugs and it works great plus my friends all like free basil (I hate... it except for the bug thing of course).
  • Jeff Jeff on Feb 03, 2017
    Thanks for sharing Lyn! Get some pics up here, we would love to see your garden ideas. I am always coming up with different ideas to make gardening easy. I hope to find the best idea and implement it in urban communities just to show that it is not as hard to do as it used to be.
  • Patt Dennis Patt Dennis on Mar 02, 2017
    What a great idea, I have a few pallets and I'm going to work on them today