Chas' Crazy Creations
Chas' Crazy Creations
  • Fort Collins, CO

Easy Lap Trays - 2 Ways

$2

These are inexpensive and easy lap trays. Adaptable for many occasions and customization. There are 2 versions from you to pick from. I'm gearing up for the Super Bowl, so mine are customized for that.

easy lap trays 2 ways
For the first version, you'll need: A 11 x 14 picture frame (Dollar Tree) 2 choppers - or handle of your choice (Dollar Tree) Personalize-able items to decorate (napkins are from Dollar Tree) Either Hot Glue or E6000 Adhesive *Optional - Dry Erase Marker
easy lap trays 2 ways
Open up your frame and personalize your lap tray with whatever you want - customize it per person, birthdays, movie viewing, etc. Since I'm gearing up for the Super Bowl, I decided on football napkins.
easy lap trays 2 ways
I opened up my napkin, placed it inside, and closed the back of the frame.
easy lap trays 2 ways
If you decide you want to use handles, you'll need to glue them on. I used choppers for my handles that I found at Dollar Tree. You can either glue them on with hot glue which is a little less secure but allows you to open back up the frame if you want to change what's inside, or you can use E6000 for a more secure and permanent hold.
easy lap trays 2 ways
Glue your choppers onto the back of the frame.
easy lap trays 2 ways
You're tray is ready and you can use a dry erase marker to personalize each tray for an event. When you're done, it wipes right off. Now onto the second lap tray option...
easy lap trays 2 ways
For this lap try you'll need: A cookie sheet pan (Dollar Tree) Chalkboard paint of your choice (I used Rust-oleum, Amazon) Paint brush Painters Tape Chalk
easy lap trays 2 ways
I taped the edges of my pan with the painters tape to stop the paint from getting on the edges.
easy lap trays 2 ways
Paint on the chalk board paint and let dry. Follow the directions, mine said to let the paint dry for 3 days.
easy lap trays 2 ways
Pull off the painters tape.
easy lap trays 2 ways
Season the chalkboard paint by using a piece of chalk sideways and coloring the whole surface area. This step is important so that when you write on it the writing erases - if you skip this step your chalk words won't erase as well.
easy lap trays 2 ways
Erase all the chalk.
easy lap trays 2 ways
Use the chalk to personalize for the event.
easy lap trays 2 ways
Now you have your own lap tray to bring your food to watch your event. Which one do you like best?

easy lap trays 2 ways
I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Carolyn Meuer-Pickering

I use cookie sheets for a lot of different things. Serving trays among them. I like the idea of the picture frame, but the glass part worries me. Some of that glass is quite thin and easily breaks, and did you use anything to reinforce the back of the frame? I am just curious, lovely ideas.

• M Kristi Shelton Nicholson

You could always apply clear contact paper to the glass before placing it in the frame. Then, if the glass cracks, the contact paper keeps it from shattering out of the frame to cut anyone.

• Chandra Denise DeVaul

Wouldn't the weight of items on the picture frame cause the glass to break? Just curious.

• Jewellmartin

Okay, you talked me out of glass. But I have a plastic bin I want to paint and I will now use chalkboard paint on the top. The bin will be in the family room. The grandchildren love to practice their math on the kitchen chalkboard, but they will like this bin even better. Chas, I’ve been thinking for a year about how to make this bin presentable. Thank you. ☺️