Apartment Makeover • Living & Dining Room

This is the first episode of apartment makeover!! I have been working all summer long on this apartment and I have finally had everything filmed in order to edit. This episode is all about renovation. We really put in the work and next episode is all about the kitchen.
Take a look at my youtube channel and blog for more of Apartment Makeover!
Lets give you a history lesson on this apartment. I live in Boston Massachusetts, this apartment is a family own apartment and I was given a budget of $3000 to renovate this apartment. When I say renovate I don’t mean knocking down walls or anything. Even though we didn’t knock down any walls it was still a lot of work. My mother and I did majority of the work and I love the results. The building was built in 1910, which is completely normal in Massachusetts to have house be 100+ years old. The apartment that we were working on has not been update since 1984. You read it right, the apartment hasn’t had a facelift in 32 years.
First project was to take off all the wall paper down. Now, EVERY SINGLE room had wall paper and unfortunately since the place hasn’t had a facelift in 32 years, it meant the walls weren’t in the best shape.
We had a plaster man come to check out the walls. He have us a quote for his possible services and the price was just out of my budget! It was actually half my budget. My mom and I talked it over and decided get to do the work ourselves. We did a lot of research and found Mr Wally’s Plaster Magic. If your walls need some TLC, I would certainly recommend this product.
Next was on to primer. Many people told up to use Killz, which I am sure would have worked great but I didn’t want to use an oil base primer. Instead we used Behr Premium plus and it was great cover any rust stains with just one coat. Before you use primer make sure, you make sure all the walls are nice and smooth. Sand everything you can and wash down the walls before you prime.
Before you use primer make sure, you make sure all the walls are nice and smooth. Sand everything you can and wash down the walls before you prime. We also have crown moulding along the ceiling and we realized there was some spaces need to be refined. We use wall cocking to make the crown molding be a beautiful accent.
We also have crown moulding along the ceiling and we realized there was some spaces need to be refined. We use wall cocking to make the crown molding be a beautiful accent.
In the living room I used Behr Marquee Eiffel for You. In the living room, I used Behr Marquee Sky View Blue. I can’t stress it more, if you need to paint anything use BEHR MARQUEE.
All the trim around the windows and door ways, we decided to use straight white semi gloss from Behr Marquee. White makes everything look bright and open. The white means you will have to clean it more often but I don’t care because it is beautiful.
Then it was on to the floors. The entire apartment had wall to wall carpet. The carpet has seen its day and when we pulled up the rugs, there was hardwood floors underneath. No brainer, we are ripping up the rug and getting the floors sanded and polished.
We hired someone to refinish the floors and I was so happy with the result.
It was easy to rip up the rugs. We rented a dumpster to dump the rugs and other miscellaneous bits. Taking up the rug was easy but the nails and the staples took forever to take up. It took me about 4-5 hours to rip up all the edges and nails, so grab some gloves and a good music playlist. We hired someone to refinish the floors and I was so happy with the result.

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!

• Michelle Perram

You're renovation is gorgeous. So simple, clean and classy. How long did this take? I'm getting ready to redo my bedroom top to bottom including painting the furniture and I'm trying to figure out how long I'm going to be living in the guest bedroom.
  • Kathe233

Why would you put in all that time and money on an apartment? Are you the owner?
    • Paula Blair

Found in the article...I live in Boston Massachusetts, this apartment is a family own apartment and I was given a budget of $3000 to renovate this apartment.

• Kathy

How did you go about finding someone to do the floors? How much can one expect to pay?

• Margaret

Exactly. I was quoted $4000 years ago for a much smaller area.

• Eroque022810

Would love to see the entire place as you did it on this site but will check out on YouTube because that's how impressed I am. Impressed that you can make such a change on that budget. Wow and you and your mom have a great eye for color,very soothing yet cozy. I love what you've did.
  • Paula Blair

Great end results.