6 Clever Wine Cork Hacks

343K Views
Everyone knows (or is) someone who drinks wine. Once the bottle is finished off, you have all the extra corks lying around. I've got 6 useful hacks to make use of those extra corks!
Time: 30 MinutesCost: $0Difficulty: Easy
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
First, you must boil the corks. This makes them softer, preventing them from crumbling and easier to cut. I boiled mine for 15 min.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
Next, drain and dry your corks. It's a little difficult to work with them when they are damp.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
Hack #1 - can a slit into the cork bottom that goes 1/2 way up the cork. Then, gently stretch the two sides apart.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
Simply roll down the tops of your open bags and slide on the cork. Boom - instant chip clip!
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
Hack #2 - Repeat the same process as hack 1 but make the slit wider. This is also easier if you cut two parallel lines and hollow out the middle.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
Now you've got the perfect phone stand. This came in handy when I was cooking so I didn't have to have my phone lying on the counter and having to pick it up with messy hands. It also acts as the perfect "cook book stand". It was so simple to read my recipe with the phone was standing up.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
Hack #3 - This one is so simple. All you do is add a little hot glue to your mini close-pin and press it to your uncut cork.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
This makes the perfect card, picture or not stand! Instant decor that is made in seconds.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
Hack #4 + 5 - Slice the cork like you are cutting a block of cheese. This makes you little disks of cork.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
With the disks, I used them as cabinet stoppers. This way, when I close my doors they don't slam shut. I also put them under my couch legs to stop them from scratching my hardwood.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
Hack #6 - Simply get out your drill bit and drill the entire way through the cork. My bit wasn't long enough so I had to go in both sides. If you do this, just make sure they connect.
  • 5 cleaver wine cork hacks
Replace your cork in your wine bottle filled with water and place this upside-down in your house plant. Voila! Instant self watering plant. There are millions of things you can do with wine corks and I'd love to hear your hacks! Tell me in the comments below. I have to say, I love all these hacks almost as much as I love wine....almost.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Wine Corks  (Amazon)
  • Exacto Knife  (Staples)
  • Mini Close-pin  (Michaels)