Who Inspired Me to DIY?

+1
Lesson learned. Do the job right!!
Before there was Martha Stewart to teach us career women that it was cool to be domestic, there was my mother Evelyn. Despite my teenage protestations, she taught me how to property paint our turn of the century rental properties. A true artist by birth , she knew all the intricacies of professional application of paint and prep steps necessary to do the job right. One time I did a sloppy paint job on the newel post woodwork . Evelyn gave me a look and I knew it meant to sand it down and redo it. Lesson learned!
Today , some 50 years later, I continue her legacy as I maintain and redecorate my rentals in Florida and Massachusetts.
Thanks for the valuable lessons Evelyn !
  • Haysha S. Haysha S. on Jan 29, 2017
    I have a similar memory from my dad. Thanks for sharing!

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 29, 2017
    That's beautiful, She must be very proud of you!! THank you for sharing!

• DORLIS DORLIS on Feb 02, 2017
    Both of my grandmothers inspired me. Both were great cooks and both were not rich so they had to make things themselves. They taught me the blessings of being self reliant and creative.

• Sal3170064 Sal3170064 on Feb 04, 2017
    My dad and my mum inspired me and still do. My dad taught me to cook, wallpaper, woodwork and DIY.
    My mum taught me sewing and baking.They are in their eighty's and still baking and sewing. Dad gets frustrated he can't decorate or do woodwork anymore. But I remind him he still does a lovely roast dinner with lemon meringue pie for dessert.