DIY Memory: I Learned to DIY in School...

+8
I took a shop class in elementary school, and LOVED it, that was it for me...
  • Linda Brock Linda Brock on Jan 28, 2017
    I took wood shop in Junior High, that's also when I fell in love with woodworking and redoing furniture!

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 29, 2017
    I went to an all-girl school and they didn't offer shop class, they said girls didn't need it, how silly is that???? I always wish I'd been given the chance...

• Colleen Thompson Colleen Thompson on Jan 29, 2017
    I used to design kids' shirts with fabric appliques and paint...all self-taught. I moved on to making adult tees taking custom orders for designs I'd hand make myself from florals to authentic Native American tribal designs. Wish I'd stayed with it because I could make good money doing that; at the time I had to work 3 jobs to support my toddler daughters until I could get into a professional career, which took up all the "spare" time I had. I love DIY stuff. I taught myself how to tune my cars up, landscape, and even remodel a bathroom --- all by taking out library books and learning as I went. There is something very satisfying about doing something yourself...very liberating and at the same time educational, if not lucrative.

• Oh wow. Back in the day girls took "home economics" which included a semester of learning to cook, and a semester of sewing. I knew how to cook and sew as I was lucky to grow up with parents that taught us, even my brother can cook, clean, iron and sew. My girlfriend wanted to take "shop" with the boys and her parents had to petition the school board to "allow" her . . .that was the early 70's when the tide was starting to turn. My mom was a big DIY'er as my parents were war children and you wasted nothing. Both my brother and I are crafty and learned how to do things. For me it has been a stress reliever and to this day I love doing new things and learning. Just wish I took a different career path, would have been more satisfying!

• See 1 previous
  • Sue Kiene Sue Kiene on Jan 30, 2017
    I have been told that I have more tools than many men. When I went thru my divorce and was moving into my new home, my dad found me a riding lawn mower. When he brought it up to me he brought along a bunch of wrenches that he had bought at an auction LOL.

• See 1 previous
    • Cecile Whyte Cecile Whyte on Feb 03, 2017
      I love you independent ladies. I don't feel like a loner anymore...lol. I love to repurpose things (furniture, clothes, etc.). Sometimes I think I know how to do too many things, but I love knowing that I can change most things around my place without having to wait on someone else's schedule.
      I love all the sharing without the bashing or sarcasm (most of the time...lol). Have a great weekend. God bless

• Sue Kiene Sue Kiene on Feb 01, 2017
    I hated asking to use "whatever the tool was". One Christmas one of my friends gave me an old-fashioned cookbook. (I love to cook). The following year he gave me a couple of hand carpentry tools that I needed because I had to ask for his when I was working on a project. He knew then exactly what he was buying me for Xmas.

• Sue Kiene Sue Kiene on Feb 03, 2017
    Cecile, I figure in many cases it will take me longer to lets say install a new storm door than if I had one of my guy friends do it. But the satisfaction when I stood back and looked at it when I was done. I would rather congratulate someone on trying, even if they failed and if they want, I will be glad to see if we can fix the issue together.