First memories of DIY,how far back can your recall?

+8
Earliest memory, [3 years old] making mud pies and decorating them with leaves, rocks and sticks. Let them bake in the sun. I remember being upset 'cause momma wouldn't eat them.
Of course, this was over 60 years ago:I remember standing behind the kitchen table at the same age, helping momma make biscuits. She let me eat the results.
  • Erica Lopez Erica Lopez on Jan 28, 2017
    I'm glad you at the biscuits and not the mud pies, so sweet

• Jerry Jerry on Jan 28, 2017
    Haha, so cute!

• Janey Janey on Jan 28, 2017
    awwwww

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 28, 2017
    When I turned 5 years old, my uncle asked me what I wanted for my birthday. My mom had coached me to say 'shoes' over and over until I said it in my sleep. When he finally asked me, I said "A hammer and some nails!" Mom nearly fainted and my uncle took me to the local hardware where I got the hammer and nails. My first project? That day, I took 2 2x4's that were cut 5 feet long and 1 that was cut 1 1/2 feet long. I hammered bottle caps (they were metal the kind with the rippled edges) 3 across, 2" from one end and 3 feet down on one flat side of the long ends and about 2" from the edges of the flat short board, 3 across, end to end. Then I nailed the long ends to the short end, making a sort of square U, with the caps facing inwards. I then hammered the open ends into the ground until they were about a foot and a half into the dirt. No mean feat, that dirt was hard! Then, I shoved my dog through it. He loved it! It scratched his back and sides at the same time. First project - raging success. Mom was mad:( Ah well, the dog was happy:)

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 29, 2017
    Aww! Thank you for sharing!!

• Lynda Grainger Lynda Grainger on Jan 29, 2017
    Probably about 2 years old. I decided I could carve something wonderful out of a bar of soap! Got a knife and began to carve, the first thing I carved was a chunk of my finger! Mama was so upset, all she could do was sit on the floor with me in her arms, my finger wrapped in a cloth.....and cry!

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 29, 2017
    Oh, I bet that hurt a lot! And, I bet you learned to cut away from your body and take thin strips. My first carving project was with a stick. All I made was a smaller stick - covered in blood:( Cut myself too! But, I was older, maybe 6.

• Carolyn Carolyn on Jan 29, 2017
    Reminds me of when my daughter was about 2 years old. I had bought a diy Christmas set of wooden ornaments. I shoved it way up under the bed so she couldn't get to them while I went to the bathroom....Wrong. She got the box out, opened the burnt orange (oil based paint) container and started screaming. I rushed into the bedroom, that one ounce container was all over her and our New blue flowered bedroom sheets. She continued screaming bloody murder until I removed all the paint from her arms, legs, and body. I figured she wanted to copy mommy painting...but things went wrong and she thought the paint on her was "hurts or boo boos." Never did get the paint out of the sheets...had to use them, couldn't afford another set.

• Linda Linda on Jan 29, 2017
    My first diy memory: I decided to make Barbie clothes for my Barbie dolls. Early enough on a Saturday morning, I headed for Mom's sewing room and sat down at her sewing machine....needless to say, with no concept of garment construction, the clothes didn't exactly turn out! She wasn't thrilled when she discovered her machine had been used by a six year old without her permission! She must have held her angst at bay to a certain extent, since I have been sewing for over thirty years now!

• Carolyn Carolyn on Jan 30, 2017
    Precious, do you remember when they had the stamped Barbie clothing craft panels? They also had sewing craft patterns for Barbie clothes: I still have those patterns.