What got me started in DIY?

+12
Well, I guess it was my ex! He left and the house needed so many repairs and I had 2 little ones and no money. So, I asked friends and their husbands to give me help and advice. I also had some really nice repairmen. When the belt on my dryer broke, the guy fixed it while I watched (he insisted), then he took it back off and handed it to me and said "Your turn!" He showed me, step by step, how to do it, several times until he was sure I knew how to do it right. I asked him why, and he said "You have 2 little kids, I see no ring, so that means little money to spend on stuff like this. Belts don't cost much, it's the travel time and my labour that's costly. You can do this for around $5 instead of the $125 I have to charge you." Then he gave me a break on his labour:) Watch everyone who works on anything, ask questions. You can do it, I did!
  • Jerry Jerry on Jan 28, 2017
    That is really impressive, go yoU!!!!

• Janey Janey on Jan 28, 2017
    Nice repairman and you rock!!

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 28, 2017
      Thank you, Janey. Yes, he was very nice and I appreciate everything he showed me about changing out the belt. I've done it a couple of times.

• William William on Jan 28, 2017
    Great repairman! And you took the first step! You can do anything once you put your mind to it. We are here to help you and everyone else that needs it.

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 28, 2017
      Yes, William, wasn't he nice? We need more like him. That first step is the hardest, but they get easier as you go along, especially with you guys here to help shore up the wobbling knees and weak ankles of those of us needing help completing our tasks.

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 28, 2017
    Thank you all for your nice comments. A lot has to do with your mind set. This all started in 1972, so I have loads of experience. The first thing I learned was not to get all maudlin about my situation. I looked at getting divorced as being fired as a wife. O.k., people get fired all of the time, you just pull yourself up, dust yourself off and keep on stepping as if nothing happened, even though your whole world has just changed. Roll with the changes or they will roll over you and crush you. Everyone is stronger than that, tilt your head, squint your eyes, look diversity in the eye, and say "You're nothing, a bump in the road, I will learn, I will succeed and I will win. Watch my dust!" As long as you are willing to learn, you can do most anything. I don't mess with electricity. Not afraid, just respectful:) I can change out an outlet or that thing in the basement ceiling with the chain on it, but anything more than that, I call in a professional. The important thing here is to know your limits and don't try to step beyond them. Thanks again for your support, it means a lot to me.

• Liz Liz on Jan 30, 2017
      Thanks for a great lesson!! Women, especially women with children to raise are a powerful force!! We can accomplish anything.

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jan 28, 2017
    You are so impressive! Thank you for sharing this!

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 29, 2017
    You are an inspiration, thank you for sharing!

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 29, 2017
    Oh gosh, you guys are so nice! It helps to have a support group to give one courage to do things.

• Sarah Miller Sarah Miller on Nov 23, 2018

Hi Betsy...l want to thank you for your response on my porcelain baseboards removal. I tried to thank you on your post but for some reason l couldn’t put a response in so l saw this and hopefully you will see it. I really appreciate you answering my question and wanted to thank you.

Regards

Sarah

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 20, 2018

Thank you so much Sarah. How did the removal go?

• Barbara Pennington Barbara Pennington on Mar 09, 2019

Um, dont know how I was lucky enough to land on this site. Don't even know name of sight. Am afraid to back out for fear I won't know how to get back. Every DIY article I read I want to save but do not know how to. Each DIY is done by a different person and different projects. I am at a loss Can you help me? Barbara @ 817 456 5019. Or bp93693@gmail.com.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 11, 2019

Hi Barbara: You're right, this is a great site:) I love it! It's called https://www.hometalk.com It may say "Welcome Betsy. What project would you like to do". Ignore that:) Go over to the right where it says "Explore Projects" or "Find New Projects" and type in what you're looking for. I'll also send this to your gmail address:) Thanks for writing:)