Who inspired me to DIY?

+2
My ex-husband inspired me to D-I-Y by consistently telling me that I can't! His lack of confidence in me and outright refusal to allow me to make my less than optimal surroundings a prettier place to live, are what thrust my stubborn twenty-year-old-self into action.
I lived in a mobile home with drab dark wood paneling. When he refused to allow me to paint the baby's room, I stapled yards and yards of bright yellow burlap to the walls. I cut out balloons from bright scrap fabrics and stapled them up too. Down came the nasty wood closet doors and up went bright patterned flowing curtains. I made a corner hammock for stuffed animals and adorned the ceiling with dangling strips of wide ribbon with the shapes of things that would attract a baby's attention when lying in the crib.
The tiny 7x8 room was transformed into a space fit for a happy life! I felt so accomplished and had won a very small victory that led to a lifetime of making the world around me into beautiful places where I could have peace, spread joy to others and dream of what's next.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 29, 2017
    You go girl!!!! I'm inspired by your perseverance!! Thank you for sharing!!

• Susan Bechamp Susan Bechamp on Jan 29, 2017
    My father did everything around the house himself. I was his "helper" by age 5. He installed a second bathroom in the basement. He finished off the rest of the basement with paneling, vinyl flooring, lighting and acoustic drop ceiling panels. We built a bedroom for me in the basement so I wouldn't need to share with two other sisters. I had the largest closet in the house. Helping my Dad, I learned how to paint walls, hang wallpaper, do minor electric repairs and plumbing fixes, replace window screening and strip furniture. He had a lot of self confidence which allowed him to tackle projects he'd never done before. "Research what you plan to do, draw out a step-by-step plan of action". That lesson has served me well for 50 + years. He told me my gender was NOT a barrier to accomplishing what I set out to do. He was right.

• Lucy Marie Bernier Lucy Marie Bernier on Jan 29, 2017
    You showed that Danny Doubter didn't you! You go and keep going...πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Heather Heather on Feb 18, 2017
    Awesome!! I am so pleased you didn't listen!!

• Canadianlady Canadianlady on Feb 18, 2017
    I can totally relate to your story of a husband who always says no. My husband usually meets my great ideas with a long list of the reasons why we can't do it. Does that stop me? Never! If I can think it up, I can design it. And, 95 percent of the time, my idea is great and looks great. If you have the design bug in you, go for it, and make a believer out of your husband.