My earliest DIY memory

+4
We were the rugrats from the apartments, in an area of historical homes and folks with money and class. My mother was an avid yard-saler,; always hopeful to find something for our home at a ridiculously cheap price. The best fun was when we'd actually get it for F-R-E-E.
She would take a broken item and gladly repair it, to her ability. How amazing that was to me as a child to have something added to our lives that we would never have if we had to buy it at a store. And the joy on my mother's face was priceles.
My brother and I were bit with the D-I-Y bug. For years we scoped out the things our neighbors were tossing out, then dumpster dived for our treasures! Oh what fun it was to find so many things that just needed a little TLC in order to be fun or useful.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 29, 2017
    F-R-E-E is my favorite price tag too, I bet you've made over some beautiful pieces! I'd love to see some!!

• Chris Chris on Jan 29, 2017
    You make me feel your joy. Thanks for sharing.

• Libby Libby on Jan 29, 2017
    😊 Thank you

• Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Jan 31, 2017
    My best freebie was a table and large old copier. I was sent to take them to the dump so I took them back to our warehouse so my BFF could check it out for repairs. Needed just cleaning and a new ink cartridge. They hooked it to the fax machine and got printouts for all our jobs. It worked pretty well for about 3 years until it just got to be a constant fix me hog. Also picked up a rack for stereo/computer equipment and still using that at home.

• Libby Libby on Feb 01, 2017
    :-) There's nothing quite like free!

• Gardengraz Gardengraz on Feb 02, 2017
    i like free or almost free too. Although our sons hated going to yard sales when they were young, they also got bit. It's kind of sad we live in such a disposable society.

• Irene Gronewald Irene Gronewald on Feb 05, 2017
    an ugly wood high chair painted cheery yellow ans white put applicae daisys on polyurethaned over them...this sure got used for many babies just as i redid it..my family were busy working..the women)although mom did sew and number paint...i worked re habbing houses a bit..and daughter and i started dumpster diving..illegal now:)...going to yard sales etc. pick up freebees ...best...re~did items put for sale in booths at antique malls and sell at garage sales ...craft fairs..(20 yr.s) the rest is history...i am ultra creative...my brain is on over drive...i love it!