Who Inspired Me to DIY?

+30
Who inspired me? That one is easy, my father did. I remember his words "do the best you can and that's all you can do". He was a great guy and I miss him and my mother.

Who inspired you?
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 29, 2017
    Wow, that's really inspirational. He sounds like a very special individual. Thank you for sharing

• K. K. on Jan 31, 2017
      I am still learning this system. I apologize for putting my reply to you in the comments section

• Crystal Cochrane Crystal Cochrane on Jan 29, 2017
    My father is a jack-of-all-trades and since I was quite young, (6 years old) he would give me scrap pieces of wood, some nails and a hammer to play with. I would build doll furniture and boats etc. When I was in my teens I helped him with nailing down underlayment and painting on a job he was hired for. I learned so much from him that I worked for myself as a painter until I was no longer able to, because of nerve damage due to spinal injury. I still paint (for myself) but it takes me longer and I have started making wood signs and growth charts.
    My father is 85 now and he still builds things and does everything for himself. All I'd do, is hope that I'm as active and healthy as he is when or if I reach his age.

• See 2 previous
    • K. K. on Feb 03, 2017
      Cyrstal, I don't know if you got my reply or not. Please let me know if you did. I don't see anything but our original communications.

• K. K. on Jan 30, 2017
    Hello Crystal, my father was technically a truck mechanic but like your father he was a jack-of-all-trades and I learned so much from him that I now consider myself a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none(unlike my father). When ever I had something I was involved in and I couldn't figure it out (which was more often than not) I knew I could go to him and he always had the answer. I didn't think anyone was going to actually read this post I suppose I did it for myself more than anything but THANK YOU SO MUCH for your reply I think your dad is really great that he is so active at his age. And I feel so are you, most people with spinal injury wouldn't do anything but you are a "fighter". I also have problems (paralysis on my right side) and I, like you don't let it stop me from doing anything

Keep in touch,
    K.

• Crystal Cochrane Crystal Cochrane on Jan 31, 2017
      K, I think your question was really a great one and it's nice to see other members getting involved on here and getting to know one another. I love that you can ask questions about so many different topics and learn and share from each other.
      I have always been a hands on type of person. I also worked for an asphalt company for 18 yrs as a roller operator and loved my job. I love being outdoors mostly. My husband and I built a pond and Tiki Bar last yr so I spend as much free time as possible out there.
      I'm also glad to hear you are a fighter too. Don't let anything bring you down.

• K. K. on Jan 30, 2017
    Hi Hillela G.,
    THANK YOU, he was to me.

• Eve Eve on Jan 30, 2017
    I think one of the great things about crafts is no matter what the circumstances you can always do something. I was bedridden for a while and I found out I could make paper beads , do embroidery, I learned how to do quilling & started drawing again. These were things I could work on when I felt like and easily set aside if I got too tired.
    You were blessed to have a handy man Father. Mine was great at fixing cars which you do have to learn how to do if you are poor, but I didn't pay attention because in the fifties, girls didn't do that. My loss.

• See 1 previous
    • Eve Eve on Jan 31, 2017
      I have to issue an annual apology every year for my mistakes. If I did it everytime I made one.......

• 861650 861650 on Jan 30, 2017
    Years ago, when HGTV was new there was many decorating shows and I loved them all. A whole new world opened up for me. You would have thought I was a mad, crazy lady. If 'it' stood still, I painted it, faux finished it, refurbished it and/or refinished it! Nothing was safe. Would window shop to get more ideas too. When my father passed away, I faux finished a clay pot and made a large flower arrangement for his grave.

• See 3 previous
    • Lisa Petersen Lisa Petersen on Feb 07, 2017
      Gina, you're thinking of Trading Spaces - I loved that show too! And Vern Yip was great, as was Genevieve Gorder, they were my too favorites! Miss the old shows a lot, as they taught me so much

• K. K. on Jan 31, 2017
    Hello Eve, I agree with you that no matter the circumstance you can do things (even if it's just for yourself). I feel truly blessed that I had my father to show me how to do things.

You were fortunate to have a father who knew how to fix cars and a general handyman.

• K. K. on Jan 31, 2017
    Hello Karen, I think it was nice of you to make that arrangement for your father's grave

• See 1 previous
    • K. K. on Feb 01, 2017
      Karen, i'm sorry to hear that. Was your father buried in a military cemetery? If he was it was the ground crew that took it up. They say to keep the grounds orderly.
      K.

• Linda Broer Reagan Linda Broer Reagan on Feb 02, 2017
    My daddy! I remember following him all over when I was about 5 years old and on up whenever he did anything with tools. Actually he was a gemologist but on the weekends he would tinker around the house fixing things. He taught me as he went about doing things. He was a great man and dad!

• K. K. on Feb 03, 2017
      Linda, it's great to have such fond memories of our Dad's, isn't it?

• 861650 861650 on Feb 02, 2017
    Gina, I don't remember, maybe it was "house swap." LOL! Do you remember Christopher Lowel? I loved his show too although he was a little over the top sometimes. However, he did give us so many tips and information on "how to's," which so inspired me. Loved his creativity! There was other shows but I cannot remember the names. HGTV was my favorite channel, now I never watch it. I call it the real estate channel! Hey, I bet we can find him on the internet and he probably has books available too. I just checked the internet and found him.
    Google Christopher Lowell and check it out.

• K. K. on Feb 03, 2017
      Thank you Karen. I will, hope you are well

• Crystal Cochrane Crystal Cochrane on Feb 03, 2017
    Hello K. yes I did get your reply. If you look at where you originally posted your question about who inspired you, right under it, it shows how many comments there are and if you look to the right you see the words, see previous, when you click on there you will see the other replies.

• Linda Broer Reagan Linda Broer Reagan on Feb 03, 2017
    It sure is. I have many more!

Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say, so being dirt-poor was my inspiration. When I was first on my own after serving Uncle Sam, I grabbed "found items" off the curb or out of the alley, and refinished them as necessary to furnish my first (and second, and third,...) apartment. My first dining set was a found round wood table and three chairs (the fourth was gone), that I sanded down and painted light blue. I remember making bookcases and end tables out of plastic milk crates, 1X12's and cinder blocks, anything I could find (I had lots of books!). Now I'm a little past that point, and do more upscale projects - I'm doing decorator towels for our bathroom now, followed by cafe curtains for the kitchen, etc - but I still remember those days where DIY was a necessity, not a hobby...

• K. K. on Feb 08, 2017
      ah, yes I remember my first "place" well. Mine was a USED motor home but at least it was all mine and I remember my sister-in-law asking me if I was "psyched" about getting it (and I was). It was a '73 class B and I got it in '82 and it was great.

• Karen Reilly Karen Reilly on Feb 07, 2017
    I have to say my Mom Rhea she always said if can crochet you'll never be cold, if you can cook you'll never go hungry and if you are cooking make extra for me. She did not read but could look at blankets and replicate them. She learned how to crochet cotton lace while at work in a jewelry factory from women who spoke Portuguese and it was awesome. The ladies were very tough on her and tolerated no mistakes. She also did ceramics during the seventies that were so imaginative, my favorite was a Nativity she that she sold for actual money...mostly she gave them away. I always regret not learning how to crochet the cotton lace but she also taught me how to cross stitch and for that I thank her.

• K. K. on Feb 08, 2017
      Your Mom sounds like she was an awesome woman. You can be proud of her.

• Karen Reilly Karen Reilly on Feb 08, 2017
    Thanks she wasn't a Donna Reed or Martha Stewart she was mine, she's passed on at 88 years old.