Tips: Do You Have Questions About Painting?

+4
I have spent years painting and repainting rooms in my house. When we remodeled and took off a chair rail and I had to smooth out the paint so I could repaint, I made the mistake of pealing some of the paint and BOOM, the paint came off the wall in one big sheet! This led to the whole wall having to be plastered, oh well, it would have needed to be done anyway. That is how much I have been painting in my home...Hey, I get bored with a look and I paint!

My best piece of advise is to spend a little extra money and buy a really good brush with an angle. This will be your favorite tool and if you take care of it, clean it up good, it can gives you years of service. Not to mention the fact that it makes cutting in easier. I have been known to not tape off because of really good brushes.

Everyone has their own way of painting and truthfully, I will do something different just about every time. I have already done the ceiling the same color as the walls, which is one of my favorite things to do. Now I am talking about a neutral color, not a crazy green or dark brown. By painting the ceiling the same as the walls it makes it easier because you won't have to worry about cutting/trimming where the wall and ceiling meet.

When doing different ceiling and wall colors, I always start with the ceiling first. I roll on and cut around the edges as I go. I like to work with the paint while it is wet. Some people will cut in first then roll, just a matter of how you want to do it. I always paint alone but if you have someone that is willing to help by cutting in while you roll, it makes the job go much faster (hint hint).

After you are done, again, be sure to clean your brush really good with warm soapy water. Did you know you can freeze your roller in a plastic bag or even put it in the refrigerator for touching up or a second coat of paint the next day!!

How do you like to paint! Do you have some good tips?

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 29, 2017
    I always want to skip picking up the angled brush, but I'm going to make sure not to be lazy next time and take your helpful advice, thank you!!
  • No Problem, Hillela. I love the angled brush for getting into tight corners and cutting in with. Hope this helped!
  • To Work With My Hands To Work With My Hands on Feb 01, 2017
    Thanks for your advice. I'll be doing that very same thing soon - removing a chair rail and repainting a big room. I certainly hope I don't face the same situation that you did. Ours is a double rail (about 6 inches apart) with a contrasting color painted between (I guess that must have looked nice at some point). I'm going to keep your profile handy!
  • Colleen Thompson Colleen Thompson on Feb 02, 2017
    About keeping the dirty (unrinsed) brush in the fridge or freezer...Just be sure not to let it slip your mind that you placed it there "temporarily" as I did recently. Acting on that tip, I put the brush in the fridge 'on hold' until I could get back to the project the next day...well as life would have it, that didn't happen; in fact, a disruption in a lot of plans happened and the brush sat in crisper drawer far longer than I ever intended, maybe a couple of weeks. The latex semi-gloss paint had coagulated on the bristles and was a terrible half-hardened mess. I tried washing, soaking, commercial brush cleaners, and using an old scrub brush to try to get the paint off of it to no avail. **BUT THEN, I found an old ACE pocket comb, the kind with fine teeth...and like a miracle I was able to get every little bit of paint off the bristles! Just in the nick of time, too, as I had resolved to throw the paintbrush away if this last idea failed me. **

• Hi Colleen- I mentioned in my post that you want to clean your brush right away and that you could store the roller in the refrigerator.

I have already stored the brush with a roller in the fridge while I take lunch breaks. But again, only for a short break.

Good to hear you were able to clean it out after all that mess.
  • Trangler2 Trangler2 on Dec 14, 2018

Elizabeth, you are so smart and so cute. I feel like an Elizabeth wannabe because I've done a few things such as yourself -- but I don't have my own nail gun -- I'm jealous! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year