My Earliest DIY Memory Was: Embroidery

+5
I remember my mom teaching me to embroider; had to have been about 5 years old [I'm guessing]. It was a good way to keep me a youngster engaged while all the older siblings were in school, college, etc. I still embroider today and it has greater meaning. Ma passed away this year at 104, still quick witted and quite the story teller. Ma was resourceful [large, poor family] and talented at repurposing/upcycling; lots of DIYing. But of of the skills she taught me, embroidery was her greatest DIY gift; calming hobby. Each time I sit to embroider, I will feel her guiding hand.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 29, 2017
    She sounds like she was an incredible person, who shared her inspiration with you. The power of a hobby and a calming one at that can be so great and special. Thank you for sharing!

• Rhonda Relyea Rhonda Relyea on Jan 30, 2017
    My mother and her mother both taught me those great skills, too. Knitting, crochet, embroidery, sewing, cooking, all those great skills I take for granted and am so so surprised that the women of today, and even the girls in my class at school are so surprised that anyone can do such a thing. After all, it's so much easier to go buy it! lol The older I get the more I appreciate that I was taught these skills and am glad I am still able to accomplish them as I age. Some things should never go out of style.

• Dr.SCUBA Dr.SCUBA on Jan 30, 2017
    • I agree! Even if you have to put up with a little whining, children need to learn all types of skills. I could be a carpenter's helper given the basic handyperson skills my father taught me. And, you never know when these types of skills bring rewards or if you may need these skills put food on the table. Not to mention the good things you learn from skills: Patience, attention to detail, sequencing, problem-solving, coordination, visual awareness, eye-hand coordination, interpreting written instructions and following instructions, concentration. The list is long! I think I did well in school because of some skills my parents and oldesiblings taught me.

• Linda Brock Linda Brock on Jan 30, 2017
    Sounds like she was a great lady! At times I wish I had paid more attention to the ladies of the older generation! The sewing and cooking just came natural to me, but knitting, crocheting, embroidry, I hopeless!

• Donetta62 Donetta62 on Jan 30, 2017
    My mom taught herself to crochet and then she taught me, noting fancy blankets to oven mitts. these are simple but very needed.

• Dr.SCUBA Dr.SCUBA on Jan 30, 2017
    I learned to crochet just as Ma taught me; by demonstration. In college, classmates would ask if I could make certain stitches and recall us laughing aloud when they saw me crocheting the stitch to which they referred. I just learned the stitches!! Ma never called them anything. She'd simply say, "You can do it this way, too. You can make it look the way you want." I still smile when I think about that.

• Rebecca Rebecca on Jan 31, 2017
    How lucky you are to have s mother like that and to have those beautiful memories. 😊

• Dr.SCUBA Dr.SCUBA on Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you. The luckiest part was her health. Not a thing wrong with her. Quite the independent soul.