Make Your Own Duvet

$100

Sometimes it can be hard to find a duvet that fits your needs, but did you know you can make one? Even with a 45" fabric! This is a simple sewing tutorial that will show you how you can transform a flat sheet and several yards of fabric (no matter the width) into a custom duvet cover!

Find the full list of materials to buy in order to complete this project, in the Materials section of this project.

We want
make your own duvet
SUPPLIES: -5 Yards of Fabric (Mine was 45" wide) -1 Flat Sheet in the Size of Your Comforter -Sew On Hook and Loop (Velcro) -Scissors -Sewing Machine -Thread -Comforter to be covered (not pictured above)
make your own duvet
STEP 1: Measure your comforter Measure the length and width of the comforter you are trying to cover (mine is a queen size).
make your own duvet
STEP 2: Measure your sheet You will need to add several inches to your measurements to allow for seam allowances. For the sheet which will serve as the back of the duvet you will add 6" to the length and 4" to the width. For the front or top of your duvet you will simply add 4" to both the length and the width. For instance my comforter measured at 84"x86" so front/top of the cover at 88"x90" and the back/bottom at 88"x92". Cut your flat sheet to the appropriate length and width. Remember that this serves as the back/bottom of your cover and will need the additional 6" in length and 4" in width.
make your own duvet
STEP 3: Cut your fabric Cut the top/front portion of your duvet out of the fabric of your choice. Because most fabrics are only sold with a width of 42-60" you will need to cut 3 separate panels out which is why this calls for so many yards. Cut your first piece out with the full width of the fabric and the length needed according to your measurements (plus the 4"). My first piece measured at 45"x90". Now you need to figure out how much of the width still needs to be covered. For example, my comforter has a width of 84" plus the 4" seam allowance (88") and my middle panel is only at 45" wide meaning I still need to cover 43".
make your own duvet
STEP 4: Cut out 2 more panels Now you need to cut out 2 more panels to cover the remaining width (for me 43"). You will want these panels to measure evenly. Each will of course have a length that measures the same as your middle panel and each width will need to be your remaining width cut in half plus a 1/2"-1" seam allowance. Since my remaining width is 43" each side panel needs 21.5" plus an extra 1/2" seam allowance to connect it to the middle panel meaning each panel measures at 22" wide and 90" long. Place your side panels one on each side of the middle panel you just cut out in step 3. Normally you would cut off the selvage edge, but I knew it would be eaten up in my 1" seam allowance so I just left it in. (*I hope this isn't too confusing)
make your own duvet
STEP 5: Sew your panels together Lay your side panels and your middle panel face to face and sew them together making sure the lengths line up. If you have a certain pattern try to make sure they line up as well as possible. press the seams nice and flat.
make your own duvet
STEP 6: Sew an opening for the comforter Once the three panels of your top layer are sewn together you can sew one end (width to width) in place for the opening where the comforter will be fed into. Fold over 1" and then another and pin down. Then sew this fold in place.
make your own duvet
STEP 7: Create a pocket for the comforter Now grab the bottom piece of the duvet (the flat sheet) and fold over the top portion of the sheet 6" to create a pocket for the comforter end to slip into and pin it in place.
make your own duvet
STEP 8: Sew the top and bottom piece together Now Your top and bottom piece are ready to be sewn together. You will only be sewing 3 sides of the cover. Make sure to match up the sewn over edge of the top piece and the 6" folded pocket of the bottom. These will be where the comforter is fed into the duvet. Sew all 3 other edges together with a 1" seam allowance.
make your own duvet
If you have a serger, serge the edges to give the duvet greater durability. This will also cut off the excess seam allowance. If you don't have a serge machine you can cut away any excess fabric and do a zig zag stitch making sure the thread goes around the edge of the fabric.
make your own duvet
STEP 9: Now all you have to do is add some velcro to the opening so you can close the duvet around the comforter. With the duvet still inside out attach one piece of the velcro to one side and the other to the opposite side so that they line up and sew them in place by sewing around the perimeter of the velcro piece.
make your own duvet
STEP 10: Insert your duvet Now simply insert your comforter into the duvet and velcro it shut!
make your own duvet
Now Simply place your blanket where you wish and cuddle up!
make your own duvet
I ordered this fabric online and in person I am not sure how I feel about it, but with how easy this was I may make another one soon... My husband says it looks like an 80's tie hehe... in hind sight I would have rather purchased a printed sheet and had a double sided duvet!

• Karen J

How would you keep the comforter in place inside the duvet?

• Linda

Sew ribbons or straps into the inside corners of the Duvet cover. Your duvet itself should loops on each corner. If not, you can sew ribbon loops on the corners of the duvet to tie the corner straps of the cover on to. Then all you need to do is untie the straps for laundering.

• KayHomeTalk

What's the trick to keeping the comforter from slipping down into the cover?

• Pam

wanted to add .. i make a "winter" and a "summer" duvet .. summer is fabric and sheet...winter is one flannel sheet and one reg. sheet sewn together w/ flannel on the inside , then sewn to fabric or outer sheet, this adds warmth and no extra blanket is needed, even in cold colo. weather

• Sue Dohrman

I understand that this I leave it about to make a duvet cover. I've made one before and question is how to keep the inner comforter from bunching up and migrating around once inserted into the cover. Any ideas?

• Geetermeadows

I don't care for the Velcro so I bought the lithe hooks like the ones in our bras closure. They are really small they stay in place and when I wash the duvet cover is easy to put back. Velcro, loose stickiness. I have mine for about 2 years, and never have a problem. If it gets worn out I can still use the hooks.

• Kathy

Love it! You gave me a wonderful way to reuse my old comforter that I paid to much for and now I’m tired of the color. Thank you so much and my husband does to because you saved him money.

• Heje

I think the duvet cover looks very nice even in the 80's print. I like that you put the pocket in to help with the insertion of the quilt.