A fun memory: My first diy...

+5
Over 50 years ago, my grandmother melted paraffin wax and broken blue crayons to make wax eggs to put in an abandoned bird's nest I had found. I was probably 4 years old. No one would probably do so now: too many germs.

What was your first DIY?!
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 30, 2017
    Aww, how fun was that? Isn't it funny that we probably wouldn't do it nowadays. I wonder in 50 years what we won't be doing anymore that we are okay with DIYing now, Thank you for sharing!

• Danielle Odin Danielle Odin on Jan 30, 2017
    We lived on a farm in Europe and my sister who was just a 2 year old could always be found taking a nap using the cow udder as a pillow. The cow obliged in every way.
    My first DIY was a shepherd's staff. I carved it so I knew it was mine. Also I made a pair of sox for my sister. I was about 6 years old.

• Rebecca Rebecca on Jan 30, 2017
    My first DIY was embroidering a sampler with the supervision of my grandmother. I still have it and it is horrible, but it was a start.

• Teresa Teresa on Jan 30, 2017
    I did so much DIY as a kid I don't know what I did first, but I do know at 8 years old I helped my dad build a playhouse for me, and I learned to install windows, go up on the roof and install singles and use a table saw- something patents probably would not let an 8 year old do now! It was a wonderful playhouse with electricity and heat! and a storage loft!

• Harold Salisbury Harold Salisbury on Jan 31, 2017
    I don't remember my first DIY, as I am an avid crafter. I do however remember teaching myself to crochet. Now I make afghans as a hobby.

• Bbunny42 Bbunny42 on Feb 02, 2017
    My first DIY was at the age of 5 and it was to piece a Nine Patch quilt top. Not sure why it was called that -- all the pieces were about 3" squares -- bunches and bunches. Wish I knew what happened to it. I lived with my grandmother and she taught me to sew on a Singer treadle sewing machine, taught me to cook and embroider. And to be frugal and honest. My brother and I often talk about the "good ole' days". We were poorer than church mice (homemade summer sandals from fabric), but we lived in the country and so were all our neighbors. A great time!

• See 1 previous
    • Bbunny42 Bbunny42 on Feb 03, 2017
      What fun you guys must have had! It was just my brother and me unless a friend came home with us from Sunday morning church to spend the afternoon. And yes, I know about "making do". I still don't mind mixing evaporated milk and water for cereal if I'm out of milk. Hey, if the cow was "dry", you made do. And nothing beats pinto beans, cornbread and potatoes rolled in corn meal and then fried, all served with fresh tomatoes from the garden. Still a meal fit for a king! The only downfall to that time was that we had six peach trees around the house and woe unto us if we misbehaved -- there was always a peach tree switch handy! Thanks for sharing.