Faux Heart Topiary Place Card Holders - DIY

$5

With Valentine's day around the corner we needed to come up with a unique way to make some place card holders. I don't know about you but January is always a rough month. Money is tight and it just seems like it's the longest month ever. I had to dig really deep into our craft cupboard to make these little heart topiaries. Can you guess what they're made from?
Those rustic topiary hearts were made out of a pool noodle. Yup, a pool noodle 😉 If I had the money, I could probably have bought me some of those polystyrene hearts at the craft store, but sadly after going over our budget last month that wasn't really an option.
We cut the noodle into 10 cm bits (that's about 4") and carved them into heart shapes using a craft knife.
We roughened the hearts up a bit with a cheese grater to mimic foliage.
The noodle hearts were sprayed a beautiful green and we found some twigs to make the trunks. The topiaries were planted in tin buckets filled with sand and we wrote our guests names on ice cream sticks.
I'm quite happy with how they turned out and I'm even happier that I could use what I had in the craft cupboard and didn't have to spend any money.
What do you think? Do they work for you? If carving pool noodles to make heart topiaries isn't quite your thing, you can use beads to make some too. We've added step by step instructions and photos on the blog, if you'd like to see how we carved the hearts. Come say hi, we love getting visitors

• Pool Noodle
  • Spray Paint

Michelle Leslie

• Pam Aarrestad Borg

The pool noodles we have are hallow. It looks like the ones you used were completely filled in. What type of pool noodles did you use?

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Barbars, we bough the buckets at a local craft store, but I have seen them on Amazon too

• Tina

So clever and well done!

• Veronica

Did you make the wooden heart that’s attached by string to the bucket or did you purchase these? I don’t think they were mentioned in the post. Very clever and cute! Love the green look. Not everything has to be red for V-day.

• Jul33847626

She used the cut noodle that she cut out like a heart n used a twig n a pop stick. I think She did a Fabulous Match but one question why do u need this on Valentines day, curious? Also u could use green noodle for lil xmas trees for xmas. All sorts of shapes. Love it. Jules