Indoor Gardening: Filing Cabinet Makeover

$20

You can't have too many indoor plants during the winter time! They remind us of the new life and growth about to burst forth in the spring and give us something to look forward to! I was inspired to do an indoor garden after seeing some shots on Pinterest of plants spilling out of card catalogue drawers. I have a card catalogue and would have loved to do that, but it's much too useful right now as an organizer in my craft studio! To compensate, I thought of another similar idea using another piece that we already had! When my brother-in-law moved from his old house, there was on old retro filing cabinet in the basement left by previous owners that he wanted to get rid of. Hubs decided to bring it home and find a new use for it.
indoor gardening filing cabinet makeover, gardening, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design
At the time, the mancave wasn't built yet so it languished in the garage for months before hubs could turn his attention to it. More about the mancave reno in an upcoming post!
Hubs got his colour cue from the Ikea Forsa lamp I gave him to christen his new space. I think it's a gorgeous retro grey-green!
Hubs colour matched the paint and gave the filing cabinet a few coats after he sanded it down and primed it. He also cleaned up all the hardware and reinstalled it. Then he added some felt on the bottom of the cabinet to protect the floor from the sharp edges of the metal.
Here it is all set up with some plants! If it wasn't winter right now, I'd buy plants specifically for this piece, but I think you'll get the idea of what you can do with a piece like this! You can layer different plants in each of the drawers and use more than the two drawers I used here.
For more ideas of how to bring the outdoors in, have a look at my most recent innovations. You'll find videos and full tutorials on how to do them both: Indoor floating water feature:
If you enjoyed this project, please pin and share! For more inspiring ideas, in and around the home, follow our blog here on Hometalk and/ or Birdz of a Feather (link below this post where you see our logo). You can also follow us on:

Pinterest: http://bit.ly/BirdzPIN
Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB
YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT
Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG

• Filing cabinet  (Hand me down)
  • Felt protectors  (Lee Valley)

Birdz of a Feather