Melissa Russo
Melissa Russo
  • Shamong, NJ

Mason Jar Herb Garden

Create your own indoor herb garden using this simple idea.
mason jar herb garden, mason jars
I think it is safe to say that I do not know what I would do without my fresh herbs. Cooking with fresh herbs is my “thang” – especially basil, parsley, rosemary and cilantro. I am lucky to have a large herb garden that keeps providing me with its bounty well into the fall. I am also lucky to have enough space in my yard to have an herb garden. It is so convenient to walk outside with a pair of scissors and snip off some fresh herbs for whatever recipe I need them for.
mason jar herb garden, mason jars
If you are short on space in your yard or if you don’t have a yard at all, you can grow your own herbs too. This Mason Jar Herb Garden is the perfect solution. Bring the outside in and grow your herbs on a windowsill or near a sunny window. It also a great alternative for the winter months.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS MASON JAR HERB GARDEN:
3 – QUART-SIZE WIDE MOUTH MASON JARS
GLASS MARBLE VASE FILLERS (3 – 1 LB. PACKAGES)
MIRACLE-GRO POTTING MIX
GARDENING GLOVES
3 HERB POTS ( I USED BASIL, PARSLEY AND ROSEMARY)
DECORATIVE CONTAINER OR BASKET TO HOLD 3 MASON JARS
Are you ready for this easy project…..I mean you can’t get any simpler than this!
mason jar herb garden, mason jars
Fill the bottom of each mason jar with some glass marble vase fillers. This will help with drainage when you water your herbs.
mason jar herb garden, mason jars
Then, fill each jar half way with potting mix. Remove the herb from its original pot and gently break up the roots. This will help it grow better. Plant it in the mason jar and fill with more potting mix.
mason jar herb garden, mason jars
Don’t forget to water the plants. Place them in your decorative container and place them on your kitchen window sill or any sunny window in your home. Fresh herbs at your disposal – any time you need them! Score!!!
Here are some delicious recipes you can enhance with fresh herbs:
Caprese Panini With Fresh Mozzarella, Basil & Tomato
Classic Bruschetta
Rustic Frittatta with Fresh Vegetables
How To Freeze Fresh Herbs
mason jar herb garden, mason jars
Melissa Russo

• Beth Lancaster

What can you use instead of Miracle Gro which can be toxic to plants and the ground?

• Mary Baker
      30 minutes ago

my back yard is the woods, so i can go out and get some top soil that is black and rich with everything the herbs will need....

• Jan18428297

How long do Mason jar herbs last? Are they safe when Fall/Winter comes? Or do they keep growing & stay healthy because of growing indoors?

• Anita Minton

Where did you get the wire basket?