Tip: Start Your Paint Job Farthest From the Exit?

+8
You need to start on the side of the room that's away from the exit. I know that's obvious, to some of us, but it's easy to back yourself into a corner without knowing it.
Wearing old clothes that are loose and has plenty of pockets.
Have good ventilation, tape the parts of the wall you don't excess paint to run.
Take your time and take some breaks to analyze your progress.
Use drop cloths and flip flops for times you walk across the drop cloth, because your weight on the floor will move the cloth around when you are painting.
Let your family know what day you won't answer your phone, so you don't miss any one trying to reach you.
Always allow the paint to dry before applying a second coat of paint, this will help you decide if you need touch ups. Happy painting!!
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jan 31, 2017
    These are great tips, thank you!!

• William William on Jan 31, 2017
    I always paint left to right starting at the exit and end up at the exit. Take a break after finishing each wall, never midstream.

• Banjojane66 Banjojane66 on Feb 01, 2017
      Well, (respectfully), do you have better results when you are finished? I need more time and strength to do each wall, so I have to rest for a few minutes. Happy painting!!

• Haysha S. Haysha S. on Feb 01, 2017
    What do you mean back yourself into a corner? Won't I just be painting everything?

• See 1 previous
    • Haysha S. Haysha S. on Feb 01, 2017
      Haha. Gotcha

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 01, 2017
    I never thought of the flip flop idea thank you! And you're right- tell people not to call, I've gotten some permanently painted cell phones because of this. Thanks for the tips!!

Your welcome! Now the paint on your cell phones is in style! lol! Glad to help! Happy painting!

• William William on Feb 01, 2017
    A wet edge is needed for the paint to blend. If stopping to rest along any length of the wall, even for a few minutes, the wet edge will start to cure. When the paint fully dries, a line can be seen where the painting stopped and started. This is less notable in the corners if the wall is painted all at once then taking a break.

You have a great reason, not to take breaks. It sounds like your a professional painter. I'm not. I'm sure you have other good points for this project. I'm over 60, retired, not in the best of health, so I need a break on things. I really don't know what a wet edge is......of the roller? Thanks for the information, I'll leave that up to someone else. Best of luck, painting!