How to beat procrastination and get your DIY projects done! Thoughts?

+2
Make a list. It seems fruitless but a list will focus your shopping trips so you'll have what you need to get started. You get to choose what to do first. Make a promise to yourself such as "when I accomplish three of these I will ----------" (something you want to do: take a nap, read, have ice cream.). Then mark off the projects you finish and feel the internal rewards.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 01, 2017
    I'm all about lists! Great tip!! I like the idea of rewarding yourself along the way ( my rewards will likely consist exclusively of chocolate goodies) Thanks!!
  • Cathy Hyatt Cathy Hyatt on Feb 01, 2017
    Mmmm. Chocolate makes it worth it!
  • DORLIS DORLIS on Feb 01, 2017
    I am one of the last people to ask about this. After 76 years, I am somewhat better, but I make a list and then forget where put it. My last reminder trick is to put lists on the front door with magnetic clips.
    This way I at least see them more often.
  • Christine Yannelli Christine Yannelli on Feb 02, 2017
    I find myself procrastinating as well. I've got my list on my refrigerator. My challenge is how to juggle work, projects and rest. Thanks for sharing. I love this site.
  • Galen W. Yoder Galen W. Yoder on Feb 04, 2017
    I like lists, but I learned from an article I read about list making of what to do in order to make your lists more successful. The author said that when you compose your list, make sure you don't "generalize" a particular project and you will feel more successful and you won't beat yourself up for being a procrastinator! As an example-- If you wrote on your list to organize your bedroom closet, it might be a bigger task than you bargained for, so make the list more itemized,-- such as, organize the top shelf in the bedroom closet, then make a separate item ,like separate clothes to keep and bag up clothes to donate to St Vincents-(or other charity). Don't write on your list- Clean the garage, you could be setting yourself up for defeat!!---Write down individual and manageable portions of the garage to clean or organize. Making the list so you can actually cross off an item or two helps you feel as though you accomplished something, pat yourself on the back!! I like the idea of giving yourself a treat, or a reward, that's an added bonus!