DIY Countertop Revival

$10

This is the perfect project for renters or apartment dwellers! Are your kitchen countertops ugly and dated? Use contact paper to revive them! All you need for this project is decorative contact paper or adhesive shelf liner, which I found at Target for $5.24; clear caulk (about $3 at any home improvement store); a razor blade or box cutter; and finally, Mod Podge or a food-safe sealant. I searched a lot of stores for shelf liner in a black and white design,and on my expedition I found many options: faux wood grain, faux stainless steel, and other cute options that just didn't happen to match my vision, but may be perfect for your home. Get creative with your countertops!
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, This project is very detail oriented as the laying of contact paper can get pretty tedious It s sticky but it is easy to remove and realign so you can give yourself a few shots at laying the paper down without bubbles or wrinkles
This project is very detail-oriented, as the laying of contact paper can get pretty tedious. It's sticky, but it is easy to remove and realign, so you can give yourself a few shots at laying the paper down without bubbles or wrinkles.
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, The first step is to wipe down your counter with soap and water and allow it to dry This is really important because the contact paper sticks better to clean surfaces
The first step is to wipe down your counter with soap and water, and allow it to dry. This is really important because the contact paper sticks better to clean surfaces.
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, After the area dries measure your counter space You will have to have a seam between two strips of contact paper I recommend creating as few seams as you can I added 1 2 extra on each side which I trimmed more precisely later
After the area dries, measure your counter space. You will have to have a seam between two strips of contact paper; I recommend creating as few seams as you can. I added 1/2" extra on each side, which I trimmed more precisely later.
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, 1 Remove the backing in small pieces to avoid a sticky mess 2 Trim the edges close to the wall 3 Add clear caulk along the wall seams 4 Opt Use sealant for protection my counter here is not for food so I used Mod Podge
1. Remove the backing in small pieces, to avoid a sticky mess; 2. Trim the edges close to the wall; 3. Add clear caulk along the wall seams; 4. (Opt.) Use sealant for protection (my counter here is not for food, so I used Mod Podge).
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, Some advice When making a seam with two strips of contact paper overlap about an inch That way the opportunity for food or water to slither its way underneath is slim
Some advice: When making a seam with two strips of contact paper, overlap about an inch. That way the opportunity for food or water to slither its way underneath is slim.
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, The best part The counters will easily be restored when I move I ll just peel them up and scrape off the caulk with a razor Good luck with your counters and have fun
The best part? The counters will easily be restored when I move--I'll just peel them up and scrape off the caulk with a razor. Good luck with your counters, and have fun!
Megan Poletti

• Naga

I want to try this but I am hesitant because these reasons.👇🏻👇🏻
    How do you clean when it's messy? Cleaning with water or cleaners will not ruin the paper?

• Sally

Try using vinyl laminate contact paper. It’s about the same price but you can clean it with literally anything and you can put hot pots on it and it won’t harm it at all. After laying it down and smoothing our the bubbles, take a hair dryer to your seams and any bubbles that would come out. The heat kinda melts the seams together.

• Mpv26632059

What about on a bathroom sink. I also have a sunk bowl?

• Frances Hunt

How long does this contact paper last before it has to be replaced?

• Sally

I’ve had vinyl contact laminate paper on for over a year and it still looks good.

• Charles Gunter

or you could simply look on the internet and find out how to polish the counter tops. If I was the landlord (owner) I’d be pissed.

• Joanie

It looks lovely and you have a ton of workin' space. Put your canisters in a grouping and move your other stuff out......just a suggestion.