DIY Storage - Faux Vintage Suitcase

Whenever I’m out at thrift stores or garage sales I’m always drawn to crates and wooden boxes. They’re great for storage and I just love the warmth and character they add to a space. I came across this little gem one day for $5 and, although I had no idea what I would do with it, I scooped it up anyway.
diy storage faux vintage suitcase, storage ideas
Fast forward 6 months and I spotted this cute little vintage suit case at Hobby Lobby. What a cute way to store things…
The set was $79.99 and it was on sale for %50 off but I thought, as many of us DIY'ers do, I can make that!! Turns out, I had the perfect piece to use! As soon as I got home I got the thrift store box out and started thinking about what I would need for this project including what materials I would use for the straps, rivets and a handle. Here's what I came up with:
Straps - 1" black gross grain ribbon - perfect for the texture to show through
Rivets - upholstery tacks
Handle - old leather belt
Hot glue gun
Chalk paint
Distress Ink
Sand paper
I gathered all of my supplies for this thrift store upcycle and got going. First, I decided I wanted the box to be white so it would be more versatile. I gave it a couple of coats of creamy white chalk paint.
Now for the straps. I used a hot glue gun to attach pieces of ribbon where the straps would be, about 3 inches in from each side.
Then I added the "rivets" using a hammer.
Somewhere along the lines I thought the black ribbon was too dark so I decided to paint it white to tone it down and match the color of the box. I wasn’t crazy about it but went with it because I wanted to see what it looked like all put together so I moved on to the handle.
The old leather strap was easy to cut with scissors and was also attached with the tacks.
Once the handle was on I realized I definitely didn’t like the white straps. It was just too plain so I painted them espresso brown. So much better! Not as dark as the black and matched the handle and the worn spots of the wood. It did look a bit too new, though, so I hit it with the sand paper in places it would “wear” and then with some Vintage Photo distress ink. It was exactly what I was looking for…
I love it mixed in with the globe, antique binoculars and old books. It’s got a vintage travel feel.
This thrift store upcycle went from an old wooden box that cost $5 to a faux vintage suit case. It adds personality to the space, is great for storing things and is versatile enough to be used in any season. I actually had the ribbon, the tacks and chalk paint on hand from other projects but it still would have been about $15 to make it if I had to buy everything. It's not exactly "theirs" but it's exactly what I wanted.
For more information on this project and others like it, please visit my blog at http://mylifeonkayderosscreek.com or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lifeonkayderosscreek/

Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek