DIY Brick Fireplace Refacing

Advanced

I just finished completing the refacing of our old brick fireplace. I took this Dated and boring floor to ceiling fireplace and transformed it into a bold statement piece with drywall, custom woodwork, tile surround, a dramatic wrap around mantel and crown molding! Can you tell I'm excited!
Here is how I transformed my old brick fireplace into a traditional and custom statement piece! LOVE IT!
BEFORE: Dated and just doesn't fit our style. Plus the mantel was incredible small!
AFTER: We drywalled over the brick, added custom woodwork, a new mantel, tile surround and crown molding
Side by Side Before and Afters
Step 1: Add furring strips and drywall
Step 2: add corner bead, drywall mud, drywall seam tap and make smooth
Step 3: Tile. Add thin layer of thinset mortar to our clean bricks
Step 3: Tile Continued: Start from the top middle and work your way around. Use a piece of wood to counter act gravity
Step 3: Tile Continued: Grout and Seal
My original Insipration
Next up I will add cabinets to either side of the fireplace for additional storage and some under shelf lighting
Side by Side Before and Afters

My{DIY}Habits_Katie

• Kerri Sanders

I LOVE what you did with the fireplace and would like to do something similar to ours. Having never done anything like this at all I realize that the dimensions of the "pillars" on either side of the insert are crucial to a proportional, finished look. Can you please tell me what the dimensions are for the pillars and the "lattice" work? By lattice I mean the raised pieces that give it some texture. I don't know the correct terms to use so I hope you understand what I mean.  Thanks!
  • Keri Douglas

Was wondering if you have a tutorial on how you did your mantel? What material did you use?

• James

Looks fantastic. I am about to attempt something similar. I am wondering how high your mantel is from the floor? We currently don’t have one and since we have our TV mounted above, the mantel would only be about 4 feet from the floor and I am wondering if that would look odd.

• Alice

What you did is just amazing. I'd love to do this to my fireplace. It looks very stylish and sophisticated.

• Beth

You did a great job! It really "classes up the joint"! LOL. If you took a color from those pillows and painted the back of the bookcases, it would warm up the room...