DIY Brick Fireplace Refacing

Advanced

I just finished completing the refacing of our old brick fireplace. I took this Dated and boring floor to ceiling fireplace and transformed it into a bold statement piece with drywall, custom woodwork, tile surround, a dramatic wrap around mantel and crown molding! Can you tell I'm excited!
Here is how I transformed my old brick fireplace into a traditional and custom statement piece! LOVE IT!
BEFORE: Dated and just doesn't fit our style. Plus the mantel was incredible small!
AFTER: We drywalled over the brick, added custom woodwork, a new mantel, tile surround and crown molding
Side by Side Before and Afters
Step 1: Add furring strips and drywall
Step 2: add corner bead, drywall mud, drywall seam tap and make smooth
Step 3: Tile. Add thin layer of thinset mortar to our clean bricks
Step 3: Tile Continued: Start from the top middle and work your way around. Use a piece of wood to counter act gravity
Step 3: Tile Continued: Grout and Seal
My original Insipration
Next up I will add cabinets to either side of the fireplace for additional storage and some under shelf lighting
Side by Side Before and Afters

24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
My{DIY}Habits_Katie

• Kerri Sanders

I LOVE what you did with the fireplace and would like to do something similar to ours. Having never done anything like this at all I realize that the dimensions of the "pillars" on either side of the insert are crucial to a proportional, finished look. Can you please tell me what the dimensions are for the pillars and the "lattice" work? By lattice I mean the raised pieces that give it some texture. I don't know the correct terms to use so I hope you understand what I mean.  Thanks!
  • Keri Douglas

Was wondering if you have a tutorial on how you did your mantel? What material did you use?

• James

Looks fantastic. I am about to attempt something similar. I am wondering how high your mantel is from the floor? We currently don’t have one and since we have our TV mounted above, the mantel would only be about 4 feet from the floor and I am wondering if that would look odd.

• Alice

What you did is just amazing. I'd love to do this to my fireplace. It looks very stylish and sophisticated.

• Beth

You did a great job! It really "classes up the joint"! LOL. If you took a color from those pillows and painted the back of the bookcases, it would warm up the room...