A Baker's Dozen of Motivational Tips to "Get It Done"

+4
1. Define the task or project.
2. Collect materials and expertise necessary to complete the task.
3. Take a before picture.
4. Hold yourself accountable, set a deadline for completion, extend if necessary.
5. Make a list of the steps necessary to complete the project.
6. Post the list--front and center so it's "in your face".
7. Take a before picture.
8. Set aside time to accomplish task
9. Turn off distractions, phone, tv, computer, etc.
10. Enlist help, physical and emotional.
11. Reward yourself for "getting it done"!
12. Brag, post an after picture.
Freebie: Always have another project in the works, just in case you need to take a break from the first task. "Two birds" or multitasking, don't you know?

What works for you?
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 01, 2017
    I should make a motivational poster with this list and hang it up when I'm procrastinating! I love the ideas of having a second project as an option to toggle-thanks!!!
  • Linda Broer Reagan Linda Broer Reagan on Feb 02, 2017
    Not carpet! Ceramic tile and hardwood. We have a German Shepherd and cats. Clean up is so much easier than on carpet! Especially when there is an accident. :-) Throw rugs are great because they can be washed or sent out. Even without animals I don't think I will ever want carpet again. We are going to be doing all new flooring and it will be no carpet except in the master bedroom.
    • Peggy Peggy on Feb 26, 2017
      I would love all hardwood floors but my house has to be the dustless house ever! We have hot water heat so no blower..can't figure out why we are so dusty!

• Katherine Pittman Katherine Pittman on Feb 02, 2017
    Thanks for tips. I get so excited about doing different projects,but I feel as thoughI really never get anything done, and it feels chaotic. I'm going to try your method and see how it works for me. Thanks for focus ideas!
  • Linda Linda on Feb 04, 2017
    For hobbies I can have more than one project on the go, but for tasks I don't particularly enjoy I have to stick with one project at a time....I'm learning this the hard way, as I have to repaint the entire house. I have to look at only one room at a time, or it is easy to get overwhelmed! Years ago I worked in a store with very, very long line-ups. My boss gave me some good advice: don't look at the line-up at all....just focus on the one customer in front of you. It takes a lot of pressure off!
  • Carolyn Carolyn on Feb 04, 2017
    Truly glad you found a system that works for you. I have an ongoing cookbook reduction project. Hence the need for a secondary project.
  • Tova Pearl Tova Pearl on Feb 26, 2017
    great ideas!