Jennifer Lynn
Jennifer Lynn
  • Monroe, NY

Penny Wall Stove Backsplash

When I bought my house there was one of those old yucky ovens from the 70's with the high top. I replaced it and now there was just wall behind my stove. So I decided to do something that I, personally, could put up myself. A penny wall! I cut the top and side pennies with a pair of Cutco shears but you could use any metal snips. The backing is clear sticky backing that holds light objects- pennies, small tiles, half marbles. Then I threw some grout overtop and wallah!
penny wall stove backsplash, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design
Here's my empty wall with jagged tile and just stares at me every time I cook.
Grabbed a few of these sticky wall mats from the Home Depot (tile and grout section).
So easy to cut and put up! Stays in place even with the stove being on constantly and heat/cold.
Start stickin' those pennies! Don't worry about pattern, they all look the same in the end. Unless you want to make a a pattern out of shiny and dark pennies. In my case, I just wanted pennies!
Once all the
Once all the pennies are up I chose this color grout. Very very easy to work with. Just open the tub and slap it on. I used Cutco shears to cut the pennies on the edge, any metal shears will work. Don't tell the government I cut their pennies! Haha
Cover the pennies completely with grout
Take a cheap large sponge, dollar store or home spot. Wet the sponge with water and go over the entire surface until all your pennies are showing and the grout is only between the pennies
Now take some pics and enjoy!
The tile is still there... one day I'll hack it off, but for now it's barely noticeable because all you see is pennies. It brings brightness to the kitchen and it's nice to have a different backsplash in a different part of the kitchen. The compliments I get when new people come over are incredible!

• Susie

I think that's really a neat idea . How much do you think it cost you to put all those pennies up and then the grout and like someone else said how about a sealer to keep the grease off it so you can wipe it clean easier. it does look neat but you need a light over the stove that way the pennies will shine better also that you can see better when you're cooking on the stove.

• Angela Swift

I agree with lighting but it's a pic and I'm sure you have enough light to cook....all cameras with flash does not pick up all the room light. Besides, wiping it with a cleaner as you clean your stove top after/during cooking is good enough. Grease isn't gonna pile up with every use cleaning, right? 😊 Great job. I live in an apartment so I am about to use heavy duty Velcro and backsplash so I can peel it up and place it again when I leave. Blessings.

• Liz

Awesomely delieutiful!