Penny Wall Stove Backsplash

When I bought my house there was one of those old yucky ovens from the 70's with the high top. I replaced it and now there was just wall behind my stove. So I decided to do something that I, personally, could put up myself. A penny wall! I cut the top and side pennies with a pair of Cutco shears but you could use any metal snips. The backing is clear sticky backing that holds light objects- pennies, small tiles, half marbles. Then I threw some grout overtop and wallah!
Here's my empty wall with jagged tile and just stares at me every time I cook.
Grabbed a few of these sticky wall mats from the Home Depot (tile and grout section).
So easy to cut and put up! Stays in place even with the stove being on constantly and heat/cold.
Start stickin' those pennies! Don't worry about pattern, they all look the same in the end. Unless you want to make a a pattern out of shiny and dark pennies. In my case, I just wanted pennies!
Once all the
Once all the pennies are up I chose this color grout. Very very easy to work with. Just open the tub and slap it on. I used Cutco shears to cut the pennies on the edge, any metal shears will work. Don't tell the government I cut their pennies! Haha
Cover the pennies completely with grout
Take a cheap large sponge, dollar store or home spot. Wet the sponge with water and go over the entire surface until all your pennies are showing and the grout is only between the pennies
Now take some pics and enjoy!
The tile is still there... one day I'll hack it off, but for now it's barely noticeable because all you see is pennies. It brings brightness to the kitchen and it's nice to have a different backsplash in a different part of the kitchen. The compliments I get when new people come over are incredible!

25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space

• Just to get an idea, how many pennies I would need, how many did you use, and what are the measurements of your wall? I’m wondering how it would look on the wall behind my claw foot bathtub. I need something, bad, and preferably CHEAP!! lol

• Jennifer Lynn
      Jennifer Lynn

Unfortunately I do not live at this location anymore so I don’t know the exact measurements. I also didn’t measure how many pennies I would need, I just went to the bank and got 15 bucks worth of pennies and threw the rest in the vacation jar! Behind a tub would look awesome but you’d also need to epoxy and seal. I didn’t seal because it was above a stove, no need for waterproofing. You’ll need to waterproof for behind a tub. Home Depot will guide you to the best sealer for your project.

• Aimee Elliott
    Aimee Elliott

Did you use any kind of sealer? Also, Do you have instructions on how to make your chicken wire flower on the wall? I love it. It would be so versatile for different seasons holidays etc.

• Sandra Anderson
      Sandra Anderson

I would recommend sealing the grout with any type of grout sealer. It always makes cleaning easier.

• Miss Daisy
    Miss Daisy

How did you make the chicken wire flower ?

• Ema
    Ema

It is a fantasy idea. However. I believe is ILEGAL ató use any currency for any kind of projects beside USA g the currency in the market. I would check with a bank or police before any one does this gorgeous accent wall.

• Jennifer Lynn
    Jennifer Lynn

Hello. Thank you for your concern. I already checked on this prior to my project. Confirmed with a US bank that is it not illegal to use money for art. My husband is the police as well. haha. Another user posted the government article relating to this if you'd like to scroll through and read it. Take care and have a beautiful summer!