Jennifer Lynn
Jennifer Lynn
  • Monroe, NY

Penny Wall Stove Backsplash

When I bought my house there was one of those old yucky ovens from the 70's with the high top. I replaced it and now there was just wall behind my stove. So I decided to do something that I, personally, could put up myself. A penny wall! I cut the top and side pennies with a pair of Cutco shears but you could use any metal snips. The backing is clear sticky backing that holds light objects- pennies, small tiles, half marbles. Then I threw some grout overtop and wallah!
penny wall stove backsplash, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design
Here's my empty wall with jagged tile and just stares at me every time I cook.
Grabbed a few of these sticky wall mats from the Home Depot (tile and grout section).
So easy to cut and put up! Stays in place even with the stove being on constantly and heat/cold.
Start stickin' those pennies! Don't worry about pattern, they all look the same in the end. Unless you want to make a a pattern out of shiny and dark pennies. In my case, I just wanted pennies!
Once all the
Once all the pennies are up I chose this color grout. Very very easy to work with. Just open the tub and slap it on. I used Cutco shears to cut the pennies on the edge, any metal shears will work. Don't tell the government I cut their pennies! Haha
Cover the pennies completely with grout
Take a cheap large sponge, dollar store or home spot. Wet the sponge with water and go over the entire surface until all your pennies are showing and the grout is only between the pennies
Now take some pics and enjoy!
The tile is still there... one day I'll hack it off, but for now it's barely noticeable because all you see is pennies. It brings brightness to the kitchen and it's nice to have a different backsplash in a different part of the kitchen. The compliments I get when new people come over are incredible!

• Julia

How do you clean this back splash?

• Jennifer Lynn

I just use water on a sponge... nothing really gets up that far to have to scrub

• Tammy White

Any tile or mosaic project can be protected with a coat of grout protector sold at home stores if you are afraid of the grease issue

• Susan Lambro

What glue to do pennies and how to prepare old backsplash

• Jennifer Lynn

You'll have to get yourself the mat that I posted a picture of. Not expensive, will stick to virtually anything really.

• Cathy52149

Could you use pennies to do a countertop?

• Ira

I've seen pennies used as a flooring, so why not use them on the countertop as well.

• Karen DiCataldo

Why cut the penneys?

• Pat Nalley Moore

When you get to the end of row and no room for a whole penny you have to cut to make it fit...

• Jennifer Lynn

Edging. A whole penny won't fit where a quarter or a fingernail clipping size would fit. So I cut them to the right size for each area of the edge of the area

• Queenbee

Was the grout sanded or unsanded?

• Jennifer Lynn

I did not sand at all

• Laura

I didn't think I would like this at all... I was wrong! You did a great job And it looks fabulous!

• Susie

Looks fantastic! I've also seen people put pennies on there floor!

• Amy Stanley Lee

What was the measurements for the space of your project and how many pennies did you use to complete your project?

• Jennifer Lynn

I believe it was like 10-15 bucks in pennies and it's only the width of a stove, height from stove to ceiling. I believe I used 8 strips of the simple mat

• Gwendolyn Sue Poliszczuk

Did you use anything special to clean the pennies first? Someone told me I could just soak them in some coca cola and that would do the trick. Just wondering what you did.

• Jennifer Lynn

I filled up a bowl with apple cider vinegar and baking soda. It fizzes up pretty high to use a big bowl! The fizzing helps remove particles. Let it sit and then take a brush and your hands, shove em in the bucket and light just scrub away.

• Eliza Spear

Lemon juice and salt will clean them. We did that all the time as kids

• Sandra Meador

Have the pennies been up long enough to tarnish or have you sealed them in some way? I have a hard enough time with copper kettles, forget an entire wall! I do like it though. Great idea!

• Trudy

I wonder this too, will they eventually all be brown? Right now it is very cool!

• Sandra Meador

I did some research. They will turn green, but you can seal them with marine urethane and they will not turn. Good luck!

• Jennifer Lynn

So far it's been 3 years and they still look on point. Barely even dirty. I cook 4 times a day on my stove too, parties, events, you name it. If they turn into zombies I will just rip it down and do something else fun! You should see me with tattoos, I wish I could laser them off and put new stuff! Haha. I'm always willing to try something else or something new :-)

• Jennifer Lynn

And the penny is no longer copper, so the chance of them turning is quite rare. Thank goodness!

• Jennifer Lynn

Photos of now. 3 years after I did this.

, Still goin strong, Nice and shiny, Don t think I have any green to worry about yet Phewww
    • Jane

I love it! So original. What about using nickels for a vanity backsplash in the bathroom?

• Jennifer Lynn

I don't have the means in my bathroom but I LOVE that idea for the shower when we re-do it. Not sure if nickels are allowed to be cut but in a big space like that they probably don't need to be. Cutting nickels would be tough.

• Queenbee

My question was if the grout was sanded or unsanded. Grout comes both ways and they both leave a different finish. I was not asking if u physically sanded the grout once it was applied and dried!

• Jennifer Lynn

You'll have to look up the grout I pictured just to be positive but all I did was sponge the excess off the pennies. As far as how it's labeled, I have no clue haha sorry. But I did put up the picture, might have it on the label :-)

• Stephanie Burns Short

I've used that grout before. It's sanded.

• Sarah Walker

Sanded grout is only bad if you h a vr high gloss tile or glass because it c as n scratch, otherwise it's OK.

• Debbie DeVault Alexander

Where did you get that flower beds our oven? I love it!

• Bar13133511

Why did you have to cut the pennies

• Jennifer Lynn

In order to fit the pennies closer to the edge of the wall I had to cut them, some in quarters, some in half. I used a pair of Cutco kitchen shears to cut them.

• Jennifer Lynn

And because I didn't want a straight line look, I wanted more of a scattered look, I decided this way was best as opposed to lining them up first.

• Bunny

It's illegal to deface or destroy money.

• Carla Randall

If you check Statute 18§331, it will let you know that using the coins in this manner is not illegal. I loves me some Google! :-)

• Gutterball1

Wow, Bunny. What a little ray of sunshine you are LOL! This is awesome and so crearice. Watch out for the penny police, though! 😂😂😂

• Gutterball1

*creative

• Ginny

What a great idea. This looks like glass backsplash tile. I'm presently having a kitchen remodel; it's costing me a fortune. The best part of your idea, is it really works, what an ingenious idea!! How many rolls of pennies are used? I don't know if I would have the patience.. How long did this project take to do? Beautiful job..,

• Veronica Heaney

It takes roughly 256 pennies to cover 1 sq. foot. That means the cost would be $2.56 / sq. ft. Not too bad since I've seen tiles that cost much more.

• Patti

Absolutely LOVE the penny idea for walls, floors, tables, etc. ! However, having experienced Z Brick, ceramic tile, etc. REMOVAL, I personally would apply the pennies/fake brick et al to a separate board and then mount the board. I've had to replace too many walls because it's impossible to remove brick, stone, pennies, etc. without damaging the original wall.

• Tees

I so wish I could try this. But they took the penny out of circulation in Canada about 2 years ago :(

• Jennifer Lynn

The original wall is sheetrock, damage to Sheetrock is the least of my worries. I also will never remove it, no reason to, as I did it myself and love it daily. If a new owner wants to remove it then they can have fun with their bad self!

• Jennifer Lynn

As far as legality. The bank told me it's fine. I also live in New York and no one is arresting me for cutting a couple pennies, I can tell ya that right now haha!

• Sandra Hahn

Watch out for the penny police just gave me a ton of ideas like I can have you arrested and get the pennies for free for the defacing them. May I please have your address don't forget the ZIP Code so I can Google you and forward it onto the penny police

• Sandra Hahn

I am watching you

• Dennie

Ok, so I'm new to this. I would like to know why the 'simple mat' is needed? Is it for in case you want to take all of the pennies down at a later time? Or is it to level things out? Or, is it for heat, moisture? I love the wall with all those pennies on it. I think it is really cool.

• Beryl

I presume it is to stick the pennies to the wall

• Jennifer Lynn

Both sides are sticky, very sticky. Enough to hold more than a penny, say a pretty glass bead or stones or nuts or buttons.

• Leanne Blossom

Where can I buy simple mats from please thank you. U.K. Based xx 😘

• Irene Gronewald

i have done a lot of penny projects...a dozen tops ,tables etc. i just have my surface painted copper or gold or brown glue on with tacky glue then varnish if i glue to wall would need instanttack..your idea is a good one...what about a shower wall...> really have to be waterproof...yours is beautiful

• Jennifer Lynn

I have never been to the U.K. So I don't even know if you have Home Depot's there but I world recommend eBay or Amazon for most purchases in the event you don't have Home Depot's

• Lana mathis

Amazon has it.
  • Penny

what a great idea! how many rolls of pennies did you use? btw, it looks beautiful! great job...

• Shawna Bailey

Good question

• Jennifer Lynn

That's the part I never kept track of. I believe it was only about 15 bucks.. 25-35 rolls I'd say

• C

I GUESSED IT RAN ABOUT $1.50 PER SQ FOOT. I FIGURED THAT EACH PENNY WAS APROX 1/2" AND IT WOULD TAKE 12 TO MAKE A FOOT. 12 X 12 = 144. FIGURE YOUR WALL SPACE (SQ FOOTAGE) AND THEN MULTIPLY THAT TIMES 1.44.
      IT'S NOT CHEAP BUT IS CHEAPER THAN TILE AND IS BEAUTIFUL AND WILL WEAR FOREVER.
  • Tami Mathis Prince

I have bare sheetrock on the wall, do I have to buy a simple mat to apply the pennies? Thanks so much. Its beautiful and I've been wanting to try this for over a year! Yes I'm slow!
    • Jennifer Lynn

Yea, it's so easy. The mat is sticky on both sides, stick it to the wall, stick whatever you want on it and then grout it!
  • Katrina

Hi there. I have been looking to do this for months. Is there a pattern to follow? Also what is the sticky matt called? What do I look for at HD?
    • Jennifer Lynn

I posted pictures of the mat. It's called simple mat. No pattern, just start sticking! You'll need to get heavy duty shears to cut the pennies once you reach the edge. Unless they fit without cutting.
    • Colleen Sturma Reynolds

Lowe's has a similar product called Bondera...that's what I used...did the same thing behind my stove years ago. Looks great, especially since my kitchen has a lot of copper in it. I also had better luck cutting my pennies with side cutters. I also put some poly on top of it to seal it, as this is a backsplash that will get lots of splatters from the stove....
    • Katrina

I also wanted to tell you how nice it looks. You did a great job.
      Katrina
  • Carol Cole

How many pennys' did you use?
  • Debby mickler

You think that sticky pad would hold tile
    • Joa4777969

It does. Saw it on This Old House last year. It has a few minutes open time so you can reposition if needed. They say that it holds as tight as thin set.

• Jennifer Lynn

I personally wouldn't use anything heavier/larger than a quarter or bottle cap unless it's on top of a table. But tile needs setting compound.
  • Kathy Hall

Were you able to get the excess stuff off the ceiling and any area that you may have not wanted it on?
    • Jennifer Lynn

I am unsure what you mean by excess stuff.. there is no mess really. The grout is simple and so is the mat. It's a very very clean process!
    • Kathy Hall

I saw some stain on the ceiling and on the wall below the pennies on 1 of your pictures. And i was wondering if that came off pretty easy?
      I have never used grout before so i didn't know if it stains.
      Sorry i didn't make myself clear.
  • Diane Hamm

Great job on the Penny Wall! I love the chicken wire flower on the adjacent wall, did you make it? If so, how about a tutorial?
  • Missy Housel Fraser

How did you make the chicken wire flower?
  • Lee Gerlach

How many pennies did it take to complete your project.
    • Jennifer Lynn

About 15 bucks or so!
    • Mj

About 144 per sq. Ft. Measure your sq. ft. and x that for approx. amount needed .

• Cynthia Garrett Miles

Do you think the mat would work on paneling?
  • Tbi21702212

Does the mat come in other background colours? (I hate grouting) Looks, WOW!
  • Charlotte Lovell

Do you think it would work with dollar store flattened marbles? And did you clear coat? And what if I don’t like it can it be removed? Im sorry for so many questions.
    • Annie Wiens Oper

I think it would be great with dollar store flat marbles. Same principle. I would clear coat after for easy cleaning. Just my opinion. I might have to try this with the marbles, I need some color behind my stove. Thanks to both of you for inspiration!!!

• Nancy Flemming

You wouldn't need to clear coat the marbles they are glass and easily cleaned, but you should seal the grout.
    • Amy

If you do the marbles, please put a picture up. It sounds pretty:)
    • Landsharkinnc

I'd do old keys -- I have a ton of them -- old car keys, house keys, keys to anything that 'locked' ... all are about the same depth (thickness) some are brass, some are steel, some are aluminium ... all shapes and sizes !
    • Dawnne Woodie

I like the old key idea. Over the years I've gathered hundreds of old keys, and if I don't have enough, I can simply put it out to my circle of life that I'm looking for more, and I bet I'd get thousands.
    • Becky

I have seen various keys for sale on the Wish website. I got some of them and they are small and real cute for a project!

• C

I'm wondering how many penny's she used?
  • Linda

How long did it take to put all those pennies up?!
    • Jennifer Lynn

no longer than it takes to finish one bottle of wine! I was finished in a single evening!
    • Patsy47

way to go girl! i LOVE your work ethic! �😉
  • Banjojane66

Is it possible to print a pattern of pennies on formica (or some washable material) to create the same effect? Beautiful wall!!
    • Jennifer Lynn

I honestly don’t know. I’m not familiar with any method other than this one. Sorry I couldn’t help. This site and Pinterest is great for ideas!
    • John O'gurek

ight want too ck. with omoe that does vinyl lettering, if you have a photo, they can scan ithen change size too what sie u want! alsofaux has a lot of eat dsigs in a 3d stly removeable wall paper for kitchen! ! good luck fini hat u want!

• RawNaturally

You CAN! And put it up with mod pog when dry 4 coats of stays clear poly

• Donajean

I’ve seen this done on counters, tables, etc. Yours’ looks amazing. Do you know if you can use copper cleaner in future to keep pennies bright?
    • John O'gurek

if u lie the finish when done u can buy som uriane spray paint clear and put two coats on it!

• Christine Haverty

Why did you need to cut the pennies?

• Jennifer Lynn

Hi Christine. Some of the pennies needed to be trimmed to fit along the top and side edges, otherwise you'd have a large gap with no penny. See pic for details. Hope this helps.

• Vivian Comeau

how many pennies did it take?

• Beatrice Guerrero

What did you use to cut the pennies with Jen ?

• Jennifer Lynn

I actually used a pair of Cutco scissors! Believe it or not! They cut through anything and you can send em in to the company for free sharpening. Super cool.

• Diena Cameron

Your wall came out beautifully Jennifer Lynn and thanks for the tip on the Cutco scissors !! So much easier then some of the other methods 😁

• Kuntreprinces

How did you make the flower on the wall ? Love it !! And the pennies!

• Pager63

Where is the chicken wire flower from? Or, how did you make it?

• Seanmom

This is beautiful. I’m in a rental. Do these wall mats come off later? I can only do something removable.

• Colleen

The wall mats she used are Not removable, actually VERY sticky. You could do on a board and tack up so it can be moved and you only have to patch a couple of small holes.

• Seanmom

Is there a quick way to figure out how many pennies you need? How many did you use? Thanks.

• Diane Lynn Raven

Lay out enough pennies for 1 ft square. Count them. Then measure the area you plan to cover. Next multiply the amount of pennies used for a square foot x the the measurements and of what you are covering. This should give you an estimate very close to the pennies needed for the project you plan to do.

• Jennifer Lynn

I just went to the bank and got $15 worth an dollar went from there. You can always deposit or save the unused portion. But I did not measure ahead of time to see how many I needed. That would take too long! It’s one of those things, if you need more go to the bank, if you need less deposit the rest back into the bank.

• Angie

I love it! How do you think it would look if you mixed it up? Pennies and nickels? I’m afraid that would be too much of that color in my kitchen. Would the different sizes mess it up?

• Jennifer Lynn

I’d say if you made a pattern with it then yea it would look great but just a mix up of pennies and nickels...? I would have to say I’m on the fence on that.

• River

That looks really nice! Does the wall get hot or give off more heat when the stove is on? Nice job, thank you for sharing!

• Lyn

I am thinking of using simple mat to stick on mother of pearl mosaic tile, 1” x 1”. Saw some bad reviews about it saying that whatever they stuck to it would fall off. Have you had that problem?? Your backsplash looks great with the pennies!!! Way cool!!!

• Jennifer Lynn

As long as the tiles aren’t too heavy and you use some force to stick them on and then grout and seal, you won’t have a problem. I can’t even pick a penny off if I wanted to.

• Lyn

Jennifer Lynn, thank you for the feedback!! Makes me feel better about using it!! My tiles are very lightweight so don’t think a problem!! What did you use for sealer?

• You did an Amazing job💕

• Diana Morejon Lindahl

Do u put any sealer on ? It’s behind the stove so how do u keep grease etc off ?

• Deborah Gonzalez

For the grout yes

• Jennifer Lynn

I used grout and that’s it. I don’t make a mess this far up the wall. It stayed perfect for years before I moved. No mess! And wiped clean regardless. One time I dropped a can of tomato sauce and it splattered on the pennies. Came right off with a brush and soap, no stains.

• Debbie Watts

How many$'s in pennies did you use?

• Arlene Ellerbrock

This is great! Does anyone know (or has anyone done this?), how about using the pennies on a counter top? Seems it would be good and even be able to tolerate heat...

• Linny

I think you would have to use epoxy to seal pennies for a countertop, but it would look fabulous!!

• Gina Yarber

I think it would work fine. I saw someone who had done their floor in them. You might want to seal or resin them them on a countertop

• Jennifer Lynn

If I were to do pennies on counter or a table I would use a plexiglass top. I wouldn’t cook or try to clean over just grout.

• Margherita McCallum

Love this idea, but unfortunately they got rid of pennies in Canada and you can't even purchase them from a bank anymore.... so sad

• Gina Fertitta

I’m kinda interested in the cupboards being black on the bottom and white on top. To me, that’s a pretty unusual feature. Does anyone else have 2 color cabinets and they can share?

• Jennifer Lynn

They are actually a very subtle deep blue on bottom.

• Stacy

Go to www.houzz.com and search for tuxedo cabinets.

• Mary Insana

That’s the new thing in painting kitchen cabinets. Not exactly my taste since my kitchen opens to the dining room and I have wall to wall ceiling to floor cabinets in there too which are a chocolate brown.

• Beth

I have a kitchen with very little natural light. My cabinets are painted espresso on the bottom and cream on the top. I love the lightness in the kitchen with the lighter cabinets on top. I have granite colored laminate countertops that ties everything together. I love the penny idea, so different.

• Monalisa Harris

I love this, but what about that chicken wire flower. how you make that?

• Diane

What color was the grout

• Mary

What would u put over it to clean?

• Mary

What would u put over it to clean?

• Jennifer Lynn

I always used a hand-held dish brush with dish soap and pat-dried with a towel

• Sue

Just to get an idea, how many pennies I would need, how many did you use, and what are the measurements of your wall? I’m wondering how it would look on the wall behind my claw foot bathtub. I need something, bad, and preferably CHEAP!! lol

• Jennifer Lynn

Unfortunately I do not live at this location anymore so I don’t know the exact measurements. I also didn’t measure how many pennies I would need, I just went to the bank and got 15 bucks worth of pennies and threw the rest in the vacation jar! Behind a tub would look awesome but you’d also need to epoxy and seal. I didn’t seal because it was above a stove, no need for waterproofing. You’ll need to waterproof for behind a tub. Home Depot will guide you to the best sealer for your project.

• Liz

Awesomely delieutiful!

• Joanie Maher Hanel

I love the penny look. My sister in law used Pennies for a bar top with a clear epoxy to top it off.

• Jennifer Lynn

I’m considering doing a table in that exact form, thanks for the reminder! :)