Painted Concrete Floors That Last and Last and Last

$100
Ten years ago when we built this house, to save money we painted all the floors, which are made of concrete. I thought "oh, in a few years when we get some money ahead we'll do regular flooring" That didn't happen yet! And the floors today need another coat of sealer and wax, but other than losing their shine the paint is still fine. A few places, like under the dining room table have shown wear. But the wear from chairs was stopped as soon as I put felt on the bottom of the chairs. I saw a question or two about painted floors and hoped this might help someone.

Here are the basic steps to follow to reproduce this, each step is pictured below as well:
  1. Pick your pattern. I had the clock face for a table top and Google showed some nice brick patio arrangements.
  2. Use masking tape to outline the brick pattern. Where the tape is, the concrete natural color will show.
  3. Paint the first darkest brick color over the entire floor. No worries about seeping, as fuzzy lines make a painting look more natural.
  4. When the first coat is dry, with your brush - brush on the next lighter brick color. Don't brush out to the tape, leave some of the dark color showing around the edges.
  5. When the second coat is dry, with your sponge - sponge on some lighter highlights. You may even want to select a brick here and there to receive more of the highlights than others to simulate natural brick.
  6. When the paint is dry, remove the masking tape. This is when I painted the clock face using tracing paper to put the design onto the floor.
  7. When all is dry, put on three coats of the sealer that is linked to below. You can buy this at the big box home improvement store too.
  8. When the sealer is dry, put on two or three coats of wax.
  9. You are done.

painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, finished porch floor
finished porch floor.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, To prepare for painting I put down masking tape everywhere I needed the concrete to remain unpainted
To prepare for painting, I putdown masking tape everywhere Ineeded the concrete to remainunpainted.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, The center circle will be a clock face I like that picture and want to see it all the time
The center circle will be aclock face. I like that picture and want to see it all the time
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, This is the first coat of paint it s a brick red color The paint I used was Oops paint from Home Depot flat or semi gloss latex interior it got sealed in later
This is the first coat of paint,it's a brick red color. The paint I used was Oops paint, from Home Depot. (flat or semi-gloss latex interior, it got sealed in later)
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, The second coat is the brick red from before with some beige mixed in slightly warmer and lighter in tone I put it down in each brick leaving an outline of the darker brick red on the edges
The second coat is the brick red from before with some beigemixed in - slightly warmerand lighter in tone. I put it down in each brick,leaving an outline of the darker brick red on the edges.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, Also it s hard to see here but there s a border around the outside of the floor which has remained the dark color
Also, it's hard to see here,but there's a border around the outside of the floorwhich has remained the dark color
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, The last color on the bricks is a golden color tan It s sponged over the top of the bricks leaving a pretty darn close approximation of bricks
The last color on the bricks isa golden color, tan. It's sponged over the top of the bricksleaving a pretty darn close approximation of bricks.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, Sponging different view and here the tape is coming off to show the unpainted concrete below
Sponging, different view, and here the tape is coming off to show the unpainted concrete below.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, Pulling off the tape
Pulling off the tape.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, The tape is up and it s time to paint the clock
The tape is up andit's time to paint the clock.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, This clock face came out of a magazine not too much of that on the Internet yet when I did this floor It s traced onto the concrete
This clock face came out of a magazine (not too much of that on the Internet yet when I did this floor) It's traced onto the concrete.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, Just outlining where the tracings are
Just outlining where the tracings are.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, The final steps are so important Two coats of sealer http www hillyard com Material asp x 1 pid 130 and three coats of wax Industrial floor sealer like you get from Hillard I think Home Depot or Lowes probably has it too
The final steps are so important. Two coats of sealer (http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?x=1&pid=130)and three coats of wax. Industrial floor sealer like you get from Hillard. (I think Home Depot or Lowes probably has it too.)
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches, A link to the type of wax
A link to the type of wax: ( http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?catind=1&x=2&pid=HIL0052806&cid= )
Here's a supply list: A favorite tile pattern (browse Google images!) Lots of masking tape flat or satin latex wall paint in your chosen colors floor wax and sealer from your home supply store. Like this: http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?catind=1&x=2&pid=HIL0052806

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 10 questions

Comments

2 of 108 comments
Next